AMtrak connection to Norfolk

For all you Virginia people: We are trying to decide between taking the bus down and Amtrak from Baltimore. It is my understanding that Amtak doesn't come into Norfolk and we will be bussed there. Anyone have any info. on where the Amtak station actually is in relation to Norfolk? Thanks Joan

Hi, Joan. You're probably right, on the bus trip to Norfolk from Baltimore. The train station is actually in Newport News and looks to be a good 15-20 miles from the cruise pier at Nauticus. Lots of interstates, bridges and local streets to traverse to get to the ship, just from the train station. Now, when is your trip? Obviously, on the Horizon. Hope this info helped. ENJOY!

Hi Joan,

Another factor to keep in mind is that Amtrak has very strictly enforced luggage limitations. If I remember correctly, they will reject bags over 28". You may want to give them a call if that is a concern.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

I wouldn't worry too much about the luggage issue. I'm pretty sure if you are carrying your own bags aboard there isn't much of a problem. Yes the Amtrak station is in Newport News and then you would be bussed to Norfolk, at least adding 45 minutes to your trip, and that would be under perfect conditions, reality, probably longer.

Me personally, I'd be on Southwest Airlines without a second thought. No luggage restrictions, frequent nonstop service, and generally attractive fares, particularly if you book during a sale.

Hi again,

Perhaps Signman is right, but we took Amtrak a few months ago and they actually called us a couple weeks ahead of time and told us the luggage restrictions were being strictly enforced. Here's the link to their policy:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Amtrak/am2Copy/Title_Image_Copy_Page&c=am2Copy&cid=1080080553878&ssid=195

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

The Amtrak station in Newport News is about a 30 minute bus ride from Norfolk. The connecting bus for Norfolk and Virginia Beach serves only Amtrak passengers, and those destined for Norfolk are let off at an unattended shelter on the edge of downtown about a block from the Greyhound terminal and adjacent to the parking lot used for cruise parking. When I have taken it, a few cabs were waiting for the bus. The major downtown hotels would be about a five minute cab ride.

One other thing to bear in mind... Amtrak shares the lines south of Washington with freight trains, etc. Our daughters have often taken the train up from Richmond and up. It is not unusual for there to be large (measured in hours) delays in time. Not sure about the specific leg you'd take, but it would pass through Richmond.

The worst delays affect trains passing through Richmond en route from Florida. The trains to Newport News often experience minor delays while passing through the yard in Richmond, but hours long delays are not common.

Archived