Are cruise ship beds comfortable?

azguy

I guess there isn't a lot I can do if the answer is "no" at this point, but at least I'll know in advance.

My wife and I have been a bit spoiled at home with one of those "adjustable air" mattresses that allow each of us to have the hardness/softness each of us prefers.

We find that when we travel, one of us most certainly ends up looking like a walking question mark the next morning b/c the bed is uncomfortable. Usually it's me b/c the beds are usually too hard. We both seem to do well at the "higher end" hotels that have more comfortable/cushiony beds.

So, what are they like on the cruise lines? We're on Princess if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your time.

I have been on the Star Princess and Carnival Victory. Both beds were extremely comfortable. After a full day of activities, we were so tired that we just collapsed into bed and fell asleep. I have heard of people complaining about the beds on various ships but I guess it depends on the ship.

NCL Sun - great beds

Golden Princess - terrible...saggy mattress and worn bed linens.

I have read you can ask for egg crate mattresses. I don't know what ships offer them but it is worth a try to ask.

I have read you can ask for egg crate mattresses. I don't know what ships offer them but it is worth a try to ask.

I can't imagine any bed being more uncomfortable than an egg crate.

Holland America Line ships have been going through what HAL calls their Signature of Excellence upgrades. Among the changes made was replacing all mattresses with a Sealy European Pillow-top mattresses.

Posts from returning CC cruisers on the HAL ships that had gone through the SOE upgrades have been raving about the beds. To the point of wanting to know where they could buy these mattresses.

I will experience this first-hand on the 21st as we board the HAL MS Zaandam in Vancouver. Zaandam went through the SOE upgrade in March.

Willl report upon return.

Sam

Have only been on Celebrity ships and only on Century and Zenith and we have only been in CC. We request a duvet be put UNDER our bottom sheet. Linens are super soft, beds are fluffy and soft. If that is what you like, you will be happy.

fIRSTLY, IF U'VE DONE AN HONEST DAY TOURING IN ALASKA THAT BED'LL FEEL GREAT, SECONDLY THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS "HOME-SWEET-HOME" BEDDY-BYE ON THE HIGH SEAS.

CHOW.......STEVE :cool:

We sleep pretty well no matter what bed we're in! Having said that, our bed on Oosterdam last month was THE MOST COMFORTABLE BED we have ever slept on in any hotel or even at home! When our mattress needs replacement I'll look into getting one like the one on Oosterdam!

Have only been on Celebrity ships and only on Century and Zenith and we have only been in CC. We request a duvet be put UNDER our bottom sheet. Linens are super soft, beds are fluffy and soft. If that is what you like, you will be happy.

The CC beds on the Summit were excellent. We are looking forward to the same on the Constellation. The beds on the Coral (we were in a mini-suite) were too hard (and I like a firm mattress).

I guess there isn't a lot I can do if the answer is "no" at this point, but at least I'll know in advance.

My wife and I have been a bit spoiled at home with one of those "adjustable air" mattresses that allow each of us to have the hardness/softness each of us prefers.

We find that when we travel, one of us most certainly ends up looking like a walking question mark the next morning b/c the bed is uncomfortable. Usually it's me b/c the beds are usually too hard. We both seem to do well at the "higher end" hotels that have more comfortable/cushiony beds.

So, what are they like on the cruise lines? We're on Princess if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your time.

My wife and I bring along a queen Coleman air mattress. We request only box springs in the cabin. And using our small battery pump, the mattress inflates quickly.

Even if the mattresses are in the cabin, laying them on the floor and utilizing the air mattress makes our bodies very happy!

Too funny!

BUT in case this wasn't a joke, I will explain:

I am speaking of the egg crate FOAM mattresses that are used as toppers on a hard mattress.

I knew that. :) I just think they are terribly uncomfortable. We bought one for our camper because the existing mattress was thin and it actually made the bed more uncomfortable because I felt every little bump.

The CC beds on the Summit were excellent. We are looking forward to the same on the Constellation. The beds on the Coral (we were in a mini-suite) were too hard (and I like a firm mattress).

On the Summit, is the CC mattress different than the regular class rooms (2A)?

On the Summit, is the CC mattress different than the regular class rooms (2A)?

Hi!

I am not sure if there is any difference in the mattresses (probably not). I do know that there is a pillow menu in CC that makes getting comfortable easier. The sailing on the Horizon was before CC existed, but it was so long ago I can't remember the mattress.

I've only cruised twice. Once on RCI (Navigator) and the other on Carnival (Fascination). Both times in suites. The beds seemed like thin droopy cots to me. There were no box springs. For any activity other than sleeping we had to choose one side of the bed or the other as the middle was unusable. The only thing that could have been worse would have been a sofa bed.

That being said, we always slept great - once we figured out how to adjust the temp. All the activity during the day and the gentle rocking of the ship knocked us right out.

I hope the RCI Serenade of the Seas for our upcoming cruise has nice, upgraded beds like some of you describe here. We'll have fun and sleep well no matter what, I'm sure.

Box springs?

Last few ships we sailed on had single mattress on top of a spring thing, not too much different than pull out couch... but much better. There was enough room to put suitcases under the bed.

Fairly hard overall. We have those eggcrate mattress thingies on two of our beds at home. They work nice, really.

Just returned from a 7 day inside passage on the NCL Sun. Had to have maintenance come in day 1 to WD40 the springs under one side - which squeaked like crazy. Funny nobody noticed while making the bed up?

The matresss were like half an inch thick and hard as pavement. My DH and laughed about sleeping outside on the deck chairs one night! Seriously, they were back breakers! I got fed up one night and slept on the couch, but it was harder than the bed!

Perhaps all the rooms differ, but if they couldn't put semi-comfortable beds in our owner's suite, there's no great hope for the rest of the ship!

:cool: Starbuck (currently in traction!)

Starbuck - I'm sorry to hear the OS beds on the Sun were hard. We're booked OS on the Dawn in March.:(

But I'd rather have a hard bed on an NCL ship, than the VERY nice mattress on the Millennium, because that was the ONLY nice thing about that cruise.

I was also glad to see posts about HAL upgrading their furnishings. Sailed the Maasdam when she was just eight years old, and everything in my suite and on the ship was saggy, baggy, torn, and threadbare. And when replenishing my fruit daily, cores and peels were simply dumped in my trash, and new fruit put on the same dirty plate with the same dirty knife. Yuck!:eek:

We just sailed on the Island Princess and the bed was rock-hard. We requested and received an egg crate mattress, which improved the situation, and also requested and a day later received feather pillows to improve the hard foam pillow situation.

But even with these additions, worst sleep I've ever gotten on a cruise. The worst was really the cheapo polyester bedspread sliding off the bed all night, I'd get cold, get out of bed, search for it in the dark, pull it back on, it'd slide off again.

As we were packing to disembark, I discovered another blanket and bedspread in a plastic bag under the bed. Wish I'd known about it before -usually extra blankets are above the closet.

My wife and I have never slept better than on the beds on the Constellation. If you have a CC room, you can order a duvet and any types of pillows you can imagine. I'm not sure if it was the bed, the pillows or the gentle motion of the ship, but we can't wait to catch a good night on our next cruise (Infinity- July 2005).

Smdubowsky

Archived