Civitavecchia to Rome

mrskmirolla

Does anybody know how far it is from the port of Civitavecchia to the train station to go to Rome? I can't even find the port to do a map quest. If anyone knows please let me know.

Thank You

Kathy

It is not that close - we had about a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from Rome to Civitavecchia. Our hotel arranged a private car to take us - it was a very reasonble rate for all four of us.

You may want to check to "pre-cruise"/"post-cruise" boards for more information. :)

When you exit the ship, turn right and walk for about 5 minutes to the train station. It is a pleasant walk with window shopping and you also pass a nice grocery/wine store where you can indulge in whatever.:)

The walk is not so pleasant if you are dragging 4 suitcases and a couple of carry-ons. This is supposed to be a vacation. Book one of the limo services.

They have cabs in Civitavecchia that can take you to the train station. Plus do you know that the OP is meeting the ship in Rome. Rome is rarely an embarkation port(Civitavecchia the port for Rome), and I am guessing that the OP is wanting to do the excursion on their own to Rome.

http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Is the English site for the Italian train network. We used the Italian train system for one leg of our European vacation last fall, and I don't think it would be that hard to use the train. The only caveat would be that the train schedules would be close to the right times, as you only have so much time in Rome, and I would hate to spend it waiting for the train or having to return much earlier than the ship excursions.

There is, also, local bus transportation, although a private car is money well spent considering the costs of ships excursions.

jc

The walk is not so pleasant if you are dragging 4 suitcases and a couple of carry-ons. This is supposed to be a vacation. Book one of the limo services.

I agree that lugging the luggage wouldn't be my idea of a good time! I had assumed a day excursion to Rome, in which case I would recommend taking the train. Traffic jams in and near Rome can be horrendous and pose a real miss-the-ship risk on returning. Mind you, trains in Italy can be affected by strikes. mmm.....

Good morning..

The train to Rome is very easy to get to from the port, guests do it all the time.. I was there last year but went on a tour as Rome is so spread out..

If you want to go to the S Chapel you might want to take one of the ships tours as they have a private viewing and that means no lines and only our passengers are allowed during that time.

If you are going to do it on your own expect a line up of at least 2 hours to get in.

Have a great time

Debbie

Good morning..

The train to Rome is very easy to get to from the port, guests do it all the time.. I was there last year but went on a tour as Rome is so spread out..

If you want to go to the S Chapel you might want to take one of the ships tours as they have a private viewing and that means no lines and only our passengers are allowed during that time.

If you are going to do it on your own expect a line up of at least 2 hours to get in.

Have a great time

Debbie

here is a tip for those wanting to do the Vatican Museum which includes the Sistine Chapel. If you are lucky enough to be in Rome when the Pope is giving mass or a blessing, the plaza will be packed and the line at the Vatican museum is much much shorter. Our first trip in 2000 we got lucky the pope was appearing, and we got into the museum in about 15 minutes. Of course, it is hard to plan this when you are only in Rome for one day. The museum is amazing. The collection of antiquities, artwork, tapestries, etc, is overwhelming. By the time we reached the Sistine Chapel, I was underwhelmed by it. After you see more wealth and amazing stuff than you imagine exists in the world the Chapel itself, while beautiful and historic is kind of a let down. Glad we went and all, but compared to a lot of beautiful European churches it is really rather plain, but with an amazing ceiling.;) :D

jc

Just last summer we tried, unsuccessfully,for the second time while docked in Civitavecchia, to catch the train to Rome. :mad:

First, not taking a shiip's tour usually means delays getting off the ship. Second, the walk to the station ( I know, we're older and slower) takes about twenty-five minutes.

Once at the station, getting one's bearings and purchasing tickets takes time, and then you hear the clincher! Someone warns you that unscheduled strikes may occur on Trenitalia which could cause you to return late to the port and (doubt and fear strikes you at this moment) miss the ship.

As previous contributors to this thread have noted, tourism has its slow downs, lines, surprises and wrong turns. Such adventure can be delightful, but not when there's a sailing deadline.

As a couple who loves to strike out on our own whenever possible, we feel it's wiser to go to Rome with the ship's tour. Or or you feeling lucky? :rolleyes:

We found it very convenient to take the ship's shuttle into Rome. It dropped us off near the US Embassy, then it was a slow, leisurely (downhill!) walk to the forum, colisseum, etc. WE didn't even think about going to the Vatican on that trip as there was only the one day.

After seeing all the sites, we took a taxi back up the hills to the pickup point and rode the bus back to the ship.

While a bit more expensive than the train, it was a) reliable and b) guaranteed to get us back before the shipped sailed!

Just last summer we tried, unsuccessfully,for the second time while docked in Civitavecchia, to catch the train to Rome. :mad:

First, not taking a shiip's tour usually means delays getting off the ship. Second, the walk to the station ( I know, we're older and slower) takes about twenty-five minutes.

Once at the station, getting one's bearings and purchasing tickets takes time, and then you hear the clincher! Someone warns you that unscheduled strikes may occur on Trenitalia which could cause you to return late to the port and (doubt and fear strikes you at this moment) miss the ship.

As previous contributors to this thread have noted, tourism has its slow downs, lines, surprises and wrong turns. Such adventure can be delightful, but not when there's a sailing deadline.

As a couple who loves to strike out on our own whenever possible, we feel it's wiser to go to Rome with the ship's tour. Or or you feeling lucky? :rolleyes:

Well, if the next port is in Italy, such as florence, it would be pretty easy to catch up with the ship the next day. Just an extra adventurous adventure. :D

jc

Archived