Hope to Leave the Ship in Grand Turk!

roscoegirl

Carnival Pride- Aug 26...1st stop, Grand Turk.

Does anyone have any good pictures of where the Carnival ships dock in Grand Turk? I'm particularly concerned about the walking distance from the ship to the actual port. Any ideas about how long that pier is? Does anyone know if there's any type of transport vehicles (ie, golf carts, trolley, bicycle/buggie, etc.) to assist passengers with mobility issues?

If not, for anyone who has had such needs, do you know if Carnival has wheel chairs to use, just to get down the pier? TIA for any info, pics, suggestions you may have to offer.:)

I have difficulty walking long distances so Grand Turk is a nice port in order to aviod walking problems. From the ship to the port area in Grand Turk is quite close. In fact it is probably one of the closest ship to port distance. There is a shopping area, Margaritaville, and the beach is right there.

Check out some videos on YouTube of the Grand Turk Cruise Terminal

I was there last week. It is a fairly short pier. The beach is right there. There is no fee to use the chairs or beach. You might consider getting off the ship fairly early so that you can get a chair close to the pier. As for a wheelchair, I saw some guests in the dining room with a Carnival wheel chair. I'm not sure how you go about securing it though.

Grand Turk is beautiful. See below for a link to the webcam at Grand Turk. The Youtube videos mentioned above probably give you a better idea as to the distance from the ship to the beach. Enjoy your trip!

http://www.grandturkcc.com/webcam.aspx

The ship could not get any closer or it would be on the beach you will have no problems and I believe they do have a couple golf carts I remember seeing last time I was there in march!!

Carnival Pride- Aug 26...1st stop, Grand Turk.

Does anyone have any good pictures of where the Carnival ships dock in Grand Turk? I'm particularly concerned about the walking distance from the ship to the actual port. Any ideas about how long that pier is? Does anyone know if there's any type of transport vehicles (ie, golf carts, trolley, bicycle/buggie, etc.) to assist passengers with mobility issues?

If not, for anyone who has had such needs, do you know if Carnival has wheel chairs to use, just to get down the pier? TIA for any info, pics, suggestions you may have to offer.:)

Hard to determine distance, standard length of ship plus a 100' or so.

DSCF5475.jpg

Grand Turk

DSCF5404.jpg

Grand Turk

Thank you all!! The pics are exactly what I was hoping to see...(except that one between the two ships!) LOL! I nearly fainted when I saw that one...looks like a very looooooong way to walk:) Me and my arthritis sometimes don't get along, but to see/experience Grand Turk, I'll have to put on my big girl panties and go for it. I now know I should be O.K...Thanks again!:)

I wonder if you can ask guest services for a wheel chair just to get you to the end of the pier? Once you get to the end, the beach and pool are right there.

it curves to the left and the entrance is right past the white walls

484088_10151132012153993_654105278_n.jpg

Grand Turk port is great. Beach is close to ship, and Margaritaville is alot of fun and also close.

The only drawback is the beach has a rocky uneven bottom if you go in the water so some kind of water shoes would be very useful.

Thank you all!! The pics are exactly what I was hoping to see...(except that one between the two ships!) LOL! I nearly fainted when I saw that one...looks like a very looooooong way to walk:) Me and my arthritis sometimes don't get along, but to see/experience Grand Turk, I'll have to put on my big girl panties and go for it. I now know I should be O.K...Thanks again!:)

We're on that same cruise! While we don't have the arthritis issue, it is nice to see just how close and convenient several things are. We'll have kids in tow (4 of them) - so knowing that we can make some quick stops right off the ship is good to know!

I have arthritis in my knees making some of the piers seem wayyyyyyyyy longer to me than they really are.

But i never have trouble in Grand Turk.

It's not long at all and when you get to the end of the pier you walk directly into a store....walk straight thru there and then you can sit at the fountains to rest your knees for a bit if you need to.

I don't remember seeing any "rides" going back and forth on the pier, but i never looked for them either.

I can tell you that right before one of our trips there, i tore my meniscus and i do mean RIGHT before. Like days! So no time to fix it!

I was using crutches to get around because the pain was awful.

When we were on our way back to the ship one of the security men at the exit of the store at the pier asked me if i would like a ride....he had a wheelchair. I said no thank you, i can manage. He was very nice and told me that he wouldn't mind at all and asked again to make sure i didn't want it.

So i do know they have wheelchairs and will help you if needed.

Its a short dock from what I remember. Last time I was there though was when Carnival was the only cruise ship that docked there and it wasnt very touristy yet. It is a beautiful place. But in case you need assistance I do believe the ship has some wheelchairs available for use

The water, by the lounge chairs, is terribly rocky. If you have a bad knee, I would NOT suggest you get in the water there. However, if you walk just a very short distance farther down the beach area, the water is crystal clear and NO rocks. Grand Turk is beautiful. I hope you will be able to get off the ship and experience that island. Happy cruising~

Many thanks to all of you! I do have a 'can-seat' I can take with me...that might just be all I'll need as I judge the distance in your pictures...you've all been very helpful--thanks again!:):) (gregory 6--see you onboard!)

more info than you need..lol

http://www.grandturkcc.com/portinformation/port-specifications.aspx

The Grand Turk Cruise Center features a purpose-built, two-berth cruise ship pier. There are no restrictions on length. and the depth alongside is 33 feet / 10 meters (MLW).

Tugs are not required nor are they available.

The pier is comprised of reinforced concrete and steel pile construction, formed by a main berthing span of 1,033 feet long with a dog-legged shore span of 400 feet. The pier is 40 feet wide and top of deck is 9.5 feet above MLW. The main berthing pier is 565 feet of workable surface for gangways and passenger access, and a continuation of three linked mooring dolphins of a further 468 feet — one every 156 feet. There are 100-ton mooring bollards on each side of the pier at 80-feet intervals with the outer end of the main pier having an extra set at 20-feet intervals. Fendering is of the flat-sided and cone-type designed to sit flush with the ship’s side. (See attached sketches for details.)

The approach is an extremely simple one. The ships should approach on a heading of approximately 122° T, which is the alignment of the pier. The ship will be in deep water (7,000 feet) until approaching the outer dolphin when the drop-off is crossed and the depth of water decreases immediately to 33 feet MLW, the controlling depth alongside the length of the pier. The maneuvering area off each berth is 385 feet parallel to the pier. There are two buoys marking the outer edge of the dredged berth area and two marker piles marking the inner corners of the dredged berth area. (See attached sketch for details.)

There is an additional Shore Excursion/tender pier 400 feet to the south of the main pier. The pier is 200 feet long with five feet of water alongside.

This is an off the wall suggestion, but it works for a lot of people, (including me). I did some research, and also a friend of mine suggested taking Black Cherry Concentrate capsules a couple weeks before a cruise.

I have arthritis, and sciatica. I used to have to stop every 20 feet and prop against something, the pain was so bad.

Took the advice, they WORK!! I checked out the reviews first, of course, before I tried them.

They can be found at GNC.

Melanie

This is an off the wall suggestion, but it works for a lot of people, (including me). I did some research, and also a friend of mine suggested taking Black Cherry Concentrate capsules a couple weeks before a cruise.

I have arthritis, and sciatica. I used to have to stop every 20 feet and prop against something, the pain was so bad.

Took the advice, they WORK!! I checked out the reviews first, of course, before I tried them.

They can be found at GNC.

Melanie

Thank you very much!! I guess it's the anti-oxident properties of the Black Cherries that help...Did you have any side-effects? I think I may give this a try, not just to help with cruise-related mobility but my arthritis aches in general...This is very helpful info!!:):):)

more info than you need..lol

http://www.grandturkcc.com/portinformation/port-specifications.aspx

The Grand Turk Cruise Center features a purpose-built, two-berth cruise ship pier. There are no restrictions on length. and the depth alongside is 33 feet / 10 meters (MLW).

Tugs are not required nor are they available.

The pier is comprised of reinforced concrete and steel pile construction, formed by a main berthing span of 1,033 feet long with a dog-legged shore span of 400 feet. The pier is 40 feet wide and top of deck is 9.5 feet above MLW. The main berthing pier is 565 feet of workable surface for gangways and passenger access, and a continuation of three linked mooring dolphins of a further 468 feet — one every 156 feet. There are 100-ton mooring bollards on each side of the pier at 80-feet intervals with the outer end of the main pier having an extra set at 20-feet intervals. Fendering is of the flat-sided and cone-type designed to sit flush with the ship’s side. (See attached sketches for details.)

The approach is an extremely simple one. The ships should approach on a heading of approximately 122° T, which is the alignment of the pier. The ship will be in deep water (7,000 feet) until approaching the outer dolphin when the drop-off is crossed and the depth of water decreases immediately to 33 feet MLW, the controlling depth alongside the length of the pier. The maneuvering area off each berth is 385 feet parallel to the pier. There are two buoys marking the outer edge of the dredged berth area and two marker piles marking the inner corners of the dredged berth area. (See attached sketch for details.)

There is an additional Shore Excursion/tender pier 400 feet to the south of the main pier. The pier is 200 feet long with five feet of water alongside.

OK...got it! Forget about walking the pier, I think I'm now ready to ask the Capt. to let me park!!;) Thanks...I got a good laugh from this!:)

Thank you very much!! I guess it's the anti-oxident properties of the Black Cherries that help...Did you have any side-effects? I think I may give this a try, not just to help with cruise-related mobility but my arthritis aches in general...This is very helpful info!!:):):)

No side affects at all. They also help with Gout. One of the ingredients is Melatonin, so it helps me sleep deeper. I didn't know that before I started to take them. Also, I had swollen feet on a cruise, after taking them, no more swelling. But that could have been helped by compressions socks I wore on the plane..lol.

I took the bottle to my DR, he said he had wondered about the pills, as other patients swear by them.

I was able to walk around Key West with no problems. I was amazed.

Melanie

So glad you started this tread.

I have osteoporosis - need a knee replacement..which I have been putting off. And now have issues with my good knee. :(

So walking long distances is an issue. Extremely painful.

I have been to Grand Turk several times and can't remember if they have some sort of transportation to and from the dock.

I started looking into folding traveling wheelchairs. :eek: :( Just for getting to and from the dock area. Hate spend money just for that.

Archived