Tulum Excursion with Beach Break

Lauriebean

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done it on RCI but would imagine it is pretty similar to the one I did on Princess.

We enjoyed the tour. Tulum is a beautiful site right on a cliff overlooking the ocean. If you are into history, especially Mayan history you should like it. It has a nice beach down along stairwell. Snorkeling is good there.

Some things to keep in mind is that the ferry crossing can be very, very rough. If you are at all prone to motion sickness take something before you go. There is a long bus trip to and back from the site. Can't remember about 45-1hour each way. You most likely will stop in between at a large souvenir shop. It's ok. For me, it was nice to have the bathroom break. Once you get to Tulum you most likely will only have a few hours so it has to be worth it for you. It is very, very hot there. Be sure and bring water with you and if you are sensitive at all to heat, wear a hat. Be sure and wear sunscreen! Once you are done looking at the site you should have sometime to catch a quick bite to eat and look at the "shops" there.

I'm glad I did to say I had the experience and to see the amazing site. I wouldn't do it again.

I agree with everything Michelle said. At least 1/2 the people in the ferry on the crossing over were sea sick. I looked out the window as the site of people throwing up in the bags were making me sick!! It was rough! The bus ride to Tulum is LONG so be prepared. It is also very hot there, even in February when we went. We did not get to swim as the sea was very rough that day and I was told that is common.

However, even in light of all the above, it was a GREAT day. Tulum is gorgeous and one of the only ruin sites on the ocean. We have great pics!!

I would not be interested in going back but am so glad I went one time.

Ditto what pianogal83 and MichelleinOC said. I did this excursion through Celebrity last January and I would think RCI's would be similar if not exactly the same. The ferry ride was bumpy, the bus ride was long, Tulum was super hot and I would do it all over again just to make it to down to the beach at the foot of the cliffs that the ruins are on. It looked like a beautiful beach and based on all the "locals" and land-based vacationers, it was accessible via the wooden stairs that hug the steep cliff. The beach break for the excursion was not at this beach and the only cruise folks who had time to go to the beach at the ruins were those who chose the non-beach break option and rushed through the ruins. Our beach break was at a stretch of the beach that was next to the restaurant where we had lunch and while the color of the water was less than impressive, the loungers were decent (bring your own towels!) and there was a terrific massage lady right by our loungers.

In addition to all the great advice that you can find via the search function, if you decide to do Tulum, here are a few friendly suggestions:

• If you don't already use the patch or acupressure bands or whatever, take a chewable Bonine before you go to bed the night before to alleviate the worst of the seasickness from the ferry.
  • Eat breakfast but stay away from the richer and greasier options.
  • Choose your seat wisely on the ferry. Find a seat with good airflow (if you can get a seat with the little overhead vents like you can find on airplanes, make sure the vent is working) away from the restrooms and stay put.
  • Stay hydrated on the bus ride and make a beeline for the bathrooms once you get to the ruins.
  • Bring a hat with a large brim or, better yet, a golf/UV umbrella (a regular umbrella will do in a pinch) because shade is your friend at Tulum.
  • Remember to take sips of water to stay hydrated throughout the excursion.
  • Have fun and say "hi" to all the fearless iguanas at Tulum for me!

Archived