Hertz in Civitavecchia on a Sunday in summer

sw411

Has anyone ever used the Hertz drop box in Civitavecchia as I have reserved a car with Hertz for pick up at the pier with their never lost GPS at about 100 euro for the day. Since it's a Sunday in August, they're banging me for an extra 15 euro to "open this location". I can live with that, however, there will not be anyone back at their location when I return to Civitavecchia, and will have to park the car on the street and use their drop box. Since no one will be inspecting my car upon drop off, how likely am I to be hit with phatom damage charges or encounter other problems?

Any thoughts?

Have done this ourselves (its been a few years) and was not aware that they are still willing (and able) to deliver to the pier. A few years ago they actually had a driver waiting at the pier (along the road) and he did all the paperwork at the car and handed us the keys. When we return cars without having an on-the-spot inspection I always take lots of pictures with my digital camera (with time/date stamp and pier in the background) in order to document the condition of the car. But we have never had a problem.

Hank

Have done this ourselves (its been a few years) and was not aware that they are still willing (and able) to deliver to the pier. A few years ago they actually had a driver waiting at the pier (along the road) and he did all the paperwork at the car and handed us the keys. When we return cars without having an on-the-spot inspection I always take lots of pictures with my digital camera (with time/date stamp and pier in the background) in order to document the condition of the car. But we have never had a problem.

Hank

Thanks Hanks-

Hertz now has a store front at the port, just outside the gate.

Thanks Hanks-

Hertz now has a store front at the port, just outside the gate.

Hertz does have a store front location at the port, however, they're going to be closed when you drop the car off on a Sunday. They'll tell you to park on the street, and use the drop box for the key and the never lost. I used Hertz there once before, not on a Sunday, and it took me quite a while to find a spot. Not the easiest. How they found the car, I'll never now. Maybe they use LoJack? But I'd be very certain that's the way you want to travel.

Maybe someone else has more current info. I'd like to know my self.

• 7 months later...

Sometimes the best way to deal with Hertz and other majors is to simply ask. The problem is that nothing in Italy ever stays the same for too long (other then the ruins) so any advice we give today may be wrong tomorrow. The local Hertz office is only a short walk from the port main entrance (about 3 blocks) so even if they wanted you to drop near that location it would not be a major problem. You would them simply walk to the port entrance (and its a very nice stroll along the sea) where you catch the free port shuttle bus to your ship. I should also add that the city of Civitavecchia has really improved over the past few years and is now a pretty nice place to walk, perhaps have a snack, and just enjoy the seaside atmosphere. We love to contrast this port with Livorno which we find one of the least hospitable ports in Europe.

Hank

Archived