First time cruiser -- please help!!

tarheels_1345

Greetings all!!

My wife and I are going on our FIRST ever cruise in December of 2012. Needless to say, we are very excited. We will be traveling with Carnival Cruises and our Ports of Call are: Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico. Please give us some suggestions on the best excursions you think we should try out. Any help would be much appriciated. :D

Thank you in advance!!!

First, get a guidebook on your ports and read it. That way, you'll know what's available in each place that might interest you! There's no sense in telling you to dive or snorkel, if you don't like water! So, read the guidebook!

Then, once you've decided what things you might like to do, go to the "Port of Call" boards for each place, and find out how others have done the things YOU want to do!

You may find (by reading the guidebook), that you don't need excursions for everything you want to do! Most things, like beaches, or shopping,....are easy to do with no excursion at all.. DIY can save you a bundle!

My family and I actually went on a very similar cruise not too long ago. You’re going to have a blast!

Our family did a few excursions on our trip:

In Jamaica we went on a guided hike through the jungle and to a natural waterfall, very beautiful – great place for a family photo! Just remember to bring some bottles of water...

Our stop in Mexico, we decided to take it easy and grab some of the local food (which is by far the best Mexican food you will ever have…obviously) especially if you like Tequila, plus the shopping there is very cheap.

BUT, by far the best and most unique excursion I can recommend is swimming with the Dolphins and going to Stingray City. We booked our excursion on our Carnival Cruise Ship with Dolphin Cove, they picked us up and drove us there. First, we swam with the dolphins, which was an amazing experience. Then we rode on a double-decker boat out to a sandbar in the middle of the Ocean, which they call Stingray City….AMAZING. The crew of the boat will show you how to hold them and even kiss them (which comes with 7 years of good luck) :D:D:D Don’t miss out on this excursion, for sure!!

Enjoy your trip!

Congratulations on taking your first cruise. You're going to have a lot of fun. Just relax, and enjoy every moment.

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to excursions. My advise would be to find your roll call on Cruise Critic, and see what others are doing that will be on your ship. Also, find the forums on this site also for your ports of call & read about all the different excursions. It's very easy to do excursions on your own in most places (with LOTS of pre-planning, of course!) Do your homework. You do not have to take ship based excursions. But, just use your best judgement on time factors involved, etc., if you do it on your own. The ship WILL NOT wait on you if you are late back to port. Know what you are doing.

Our cruise we are taking in September is going to the same ports as yours. I've been to all these ports before, and I'll tell you my experiences, and our plans:

Jamaica: Have a plan. Do not just "wing-it" at this port. That could get you in trouble. We are doing an excursion on our own, that I have actually done before. It is through the "Jamaica for a Day", and we are going to Sunset Beach in Montego Bay. If that is where your ship is porting, then its only about 5 minutes from the ship. Taxis are $5pp one way, or you can include your transportation when you book this excursion. The cost is $60pp and its an all-inclusive, very nice resort, with a very nice pool, water slides, and all you can eat food & drink. The beach isn't big, but its sufficient. It's a nice, safe beach day. You have to pay $20pp online to reserve a spot, and pay the remaining the day you arrive.

Grand Cayman: We have booked a 3 hr snorkel/stingray city tour with Moby Dick (google them). It's $45pp, and you don't pay until you arrive. They will pick you up at the port, take you on the excursion, and drop you back off in town or at 7 mile beach when the excursion is done. I've done this excursion before also, and Moby Dick is very professional, and we had a wonderful time. Grand Cayman is a very clean "English" island. Very much like being in the U.S.

Cozumel: This is probably the most fun place to go. We've always felt safe here too. (Use your head as you would when you are traveling ANYWHERE). We don't have a planned excursion here. There are a lot of great beaches. The shopping and restaurants are great on the island. There are tours you can take around the island to see all of the island, with stops along the way - just check out the forum page.

Forum pages will tell you just about everything you need to know about the ports - and what you don't see, just ask.

I hope you have a fun and safe trip! Enjoy your first cruise!

Montego Bay - Dr. Cave Beach, Margaritaville and/or Pork Pit

I read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of pictures, the price isn't bad either.

Grand Cayman - the same...I will do what every I can to avoid the tender hassle

Cozumel – I decided to swim the dolphins, I attempted to book directly with Chankanaab National Park and was informed that I could only book through Carnival.

I don’t consider myself cheap, but I refuse to pay $165 more for the same service. Open for any other suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlacabe viewpost.gif

Is it too early to start taking about excursions?

Montego Bay –

River Rapids Adventure –River Boarding- Thinking about booking with Braco Tours good reviews on Trip Advisor not much on CC :o

Grand Cayman –SNUBA with Carnival- I usually book with private companies but don’t want the hassle of disembarkation; Passengers with Carnival excursions tenders 1st. :rolleyes:

Cozumel – Not sure still looking- this will be my 4th visit to Cozumel :confused:

Agree with others, planning something on your own can save you a boat-load!! Just make sure you watch your time.

Also, if it's just u & the wife, you may want to plan things that aren't prone to lots of kids, do your research. Grand Cayman for example, there are several beaches mentioned on 7 Mile Beach, we will be staying away from the one with the playground. Not that I hate kids, but when we're travelling w/out ours we try to stay towards the more adult things.

We were first time cruisers too this past March - RC Voyager of the Seas - went to the same ports. Here's what we did:

Cozumel - Took a Jeep excursion through RC. To put it mildly, this trip was fast and furious :eek: (Mexicans drive very fast on narrow roads and they expect you to keep up!!). The scenery around the island was beautiful - couldn't get in the water for our "beach stop" due to very high waves and undertow - the tequila tasting was fun. Not a bad experience at all but don't really recommend it either.

Georgetown, Grand Cayman - we also did the Stingray City/snorkel excursion booked through Moby Dick. Cannot say enough good things about it. So easy to find at the port. The crew is exceptional and fun. A little apprehensive about being in the water with the stingrays but it was sooooooo fun and LOVED it !!! If nothing else, the boat ride out in the bay and to the edge of the reef is well worth the $45. We enjoyed it so much that we will probably do it again on our 2nd cruise next year !!! :D

Falmouth, Jamaica - Did the Chukka Beach Break w/lunch through RC. About a 15-20 minute bus ride (not too bad), the beach was pretty but became VERY crowded quickly, and the water was a little too cold for my taste (mid March). The lunch was the best thing about it - jerk chicken with some type of veggie/fruit salad, sweet cornbread type roll, great fruit punch. We actually got in the first line to leave after lunch and went back to the port, walked around and shopped a little. Others have had great experiences at Chukka Beach, some agree not so much. :rolleyes:

Like others have said, just do your research, search websites, read CC posts (but don't take everything that is said so seriously ;) ), decide what you would likely enjoy the most and go for it !!! Have a great first cruise and know that you will be back for more !!! :D

Greetings all!!

My wife and I are going on our FIRST ever cruise in December of 2012. Needless to say, we are very excited. We will be traveling with Carnival Cruises and our Ports of Call are: Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel Mexico. Please give us some suggestions on the best excursions you think we should try out. Any help would be much appriciated. :D

Thank you in advance!!!

EDEN ROCK.

Free snorkeling that is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! Bring a snorkel or else you'll have to rent one (I'm not a big fan of inhaling other people's mouth germs so I have my own.) It was SO beautiful! It is within walking distance from the port and is not very busy. The beach is small so it is not much of a place to chill. It looks straight out to the ships that are anchored off shore. (Perfect Kodak Moments BTW)

I would definitely go back and I highly recommend it.

We didn't spend a dime that day.

Montego Bay - Dr. Cave Beach, Margaritaville and/or Pork Pit

I read a lot of reviews and seen a lot of pictures, the price isn't bad either.

Grand Cayman - the same...I will do what every I can to avoid the tender hassle

Cozumel – I decided to swim the dolphins, I attempted to book directly with Chankanaab National Park and was informed that I could only book through Carnival.

I don’t consider myself cheap, but I refuse to pay $165 more for the same service. Open for any other suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlacabe viewpost.gif

Is it too early to start taking about excursions?

Montego Bay –

River Rapids Adventure –River Boarding- Thinking about booking with Braco Tours good reviews on Trip Advisor not much on CC :o

Grand Cayman –SNUBA with Carnival- I usually book with private companies but don’t want the hassle of disembarkation; Passengers with Carnival excursions tenders 1st. :rolleyes:

Cozumel – Not sure still looking- this will be my 4th visit to Cozumel :confused:

Just take a cab there and buy swim with dolphins right on the spot. Make sure you pay cash for it I wouldn't use CC in Cozumel

Have a wonderful time! I will guarantee, it will not be your last cruise! We've been to all the places numerous times, including land-based vacations on all three as well. Here are my suggestions for first timers:

Grand Cayman: Do the Stingrays. There are a ton of recommended tours, I would recommend reading through the reviews and choosing one. If you can get one that does Stingrays and Rum Point, even better. Shopping/eating in town is nice, hectic and expensive. You will "tender" at GC which means you'll need to take a boat to the island from your ship. Count that extra time in for your day. If you don't have to wait in lines, it takes about 10 minutes.

Cozumel: The town is a really fun town to wander around and shop (be sure to bargain here!!!). There are plenty of local and chain restaurants (of course, try a local one) that werve wonderful fresh food, and superior margaritas! There are a number of 'beach clubs" that are either all-inclusive or ala carte. If you want to spend a day at the beach, this might be a good opportunity, but my recommendations would be: Take a tour that reaches the other side of the island, or hire a driver to take you there. There are some really fun beach bars/restaurants that have gorgeous views of the "wild side" fo Cozumel. Be sure to save some time for shopping and wandering.

Jamaica: Many people hate it, we love it. Love the people, love the water, love the lush landscape and mountains, love the food. If you are not used to being followed and asked if you want to purchase "anything" you might want to take a tour. I would recommend a Dunns River Falls tour, a babmoo rafting tour (less adventerous, very romantic) or a day at an all-inclusive beach club. Try the jerk foods!

If you want to snorkel and see sea life: Cayman ior Cozumel.

Shopping: Cozumel

Adventure: Jamaica or Cozumel

Wandering around on your own: Cozumel

Beaches: All

Snorkeling/underwater life: Grand Cayman

if you have any specific questions, please let me know!

We did a very similar intinerary last week.

In Jamaica I recommend using the company "Know Jamaica" run by Marva Shaw and her son Javia. We had Javia pick us up at Falmouth in a private a/c van. We climbed Dunn's River Falls, tubed on the White River and ate jerk chicken in a sports bar filled with locals watching Usain Bolt win his Olympic 200m heat. In between times Javia answered our questions and talked about the history, geography, weather, politics and botany of the island. We stopped at a number of points of interest and viewing places and at various points he stopped and jumped out to show plants etc - the allspice leaves smelt amazing. This day was our children's favourite one of the cruise.

In Grand Cayman we used "Stingray Sailing" for a trip to stingray city and a snorkel at the reef. We were taken on a short drive to their catamaran - it is licensed to take 45 but their max is 29 - and then out to the stingrays. Many other companies fill their boats to capacity. This company run by Chip and Michelle was fantastic in all aspects including a reassuring email a few days before when it looked as though the island was going to be hit by Tropical Storm Ernesto. Thanks cruise critic for this find.

In Cozumel we did a cruise line tour on Segways.

Don't be afraid to use private companies. You will be able to find the good ones by researching on Cruise Critic and/or Trip Advisor. They are often cheaper and far superior to the ones offered by the cruise lines. Their reputation and marketing rely very heavily on positive reviews and they cannot allow passengers to miss the ship no matter what scare stories the cruise lines put about.

Have fun. This was our first but hopefully not last visit to the Caribbean.

I've been to Jamaica, but it was an all inclusive, so that doesn't count. Went hoseback riding through the forest/jungle.

Last time in Grand Cayman, we did the submarine, absoluelty wonderful! This time we are going to Eden Rock.

Last time in Cozumel. DH went scuba diving, I went with my BF to the musuem -Discover Mexico, El Cedral, and a tour of the East Cosat with a visit to a tequila factory, it showed how, but was not a funtioning factory, there was tasting, but i no longer drink, still fun.:) This time I am going to El Cid hotel for a day pass at 15.00 bucks, and they give you a 10.00 food voucher. Can't wait, you can walk from the port.

Just take a cab there and buy swim with dolphins right on the spot. Make sure you pay cash for it I wouldn't use CC in Cozumel

Thanks,

I called the park and was informed that they are sold out for the day I arrive, 7 ships in port. :( So I booked with Carnival and received a 20% discount. :D

Have a wonderful time! I will guarantee, it will not be your last cruise! We've been to all the places numerous times, including land-based vacations on all three as well. Here are my suggestions for first timers:

Grand Cayman: Do the Stingrays. There are a ton of recommended tours, I would recommend reading through the reviews and choosing one. If you can get one that does Stingrays and Rum Point, even better. Shopping/eating in town is nice, hectic and expensive. You will "tender" at GC which means you'll need to take a boat to the island from your ship. Count that extra time in for your day. If you don't have to wait in lines, it takes about 10 minutes.

Cozumel: The town is a really fun town to wander around and shop (be sure to bargain here!!!). There are plenty of local and chain restaurants (of course, try a local one) that werve wonderful fresh food, and superior margaritas! There are a number of 'beach clubs" that are either all-inclusive or ala carte. If you want to spend a day at the beach, this might be a good opportunity, but my recommendations would be: Take a tour that reaches the other side of the island, or hire a driver to take you there. There are some really fun beach bars/restaurants that have gorgeous views of the "wild side" fo Cozumel. Be sure to save some time for shopping and wandering.

Jamaica: Many people hate it, we love it. Love the people, love the water, love the lush landscape and mountains, love the food. If you are not used to being followed and asked if you want to purchase "anything" you might want to take a tour. I would recommend a Dunns River Falls tour, a babmoo rafting tour (less adventerous, very romantic) or a day at an all-inclusive beach club. Try the jerk foods!

If you want to snorkel and see sea life: Cayman ior Cozumel.

Shopping: Cozumel

Adventure: Jamaica or Cozumel

Wandering around on your own: Cozumel

Beaches: All

Snorkeling/underwater life: Grand Cayman

if you have any specific questions, please let me know!

Lots of help. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the same itinerary twice now.

First time:

Jamaica - Excursion through the cruise line to Dunn's River Falls. I didn't climb it, but I did the stairs beside it. It was expensive and wouldn't do it again, but it's nice to check it off the list.

Grand Cayman - Excursion through the cruise line of "Cayman Highlights". Semi-submerged boat to see the fish, stop at Turtle Farm, stop at Hell, stop at Tortuga Rum Factory. Best money spent to be able to see all of that.

Cozumel - Private excursion to Nachi Cocom. I met up with some people from the ship that were going there and we took one bus. Super easy and nice.

Second time:

Jamaica - Bought a "bus" pass when we came out of the terminal that allowed us to be dropped at four different hot spots. Margaritaville, shopping at an outdoor market, and the beach. I can't remember the beach name now (the beach club maybe?) but it was nice. If it hadn't been raining probably would've stayed longer.

Grand Cayman- Took a bus to 7 Mile Beach and asked the driver to stop at "Sea Grape" . Easy and cheap

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom again. I REALLY like it there.

Good luck!!

Have a look at this web site. You can search the different snorkeling sites near the ships terminal.

Eden Rock is Great, it's very close to the terminal. You can also snorkel the Wreck of the Cali from shore. "They sell this tour on the ship but you can just walk there and go on your own"

Lot's to see!

http://idiveglobal.com/locations/category/dive-locations/snorkeling-locations/

Archived