Live from voyager-July 29 to August 8-Copenhagen to Stockholm

RachelG

Rachel,

Thanks for getting an answer about the dance hosts.

I definitely agree that they should continue to be a part of Regent cruises. It certainly is a big plus for me, and I kept them busy. John and Joe were lots of fun.

Enjoy your remaining cruise time.

Carol

First, I agree Paula, as I have seen them on shore excursions, but that may be something the can do but are not required to do. The entertainers can accompany shore excursions, but aren't required too, for instance. They sign up on a list if they want to go. I know this from a girl from Tulsa who was a regent singer a few yrs ago.

Anyway, I asked Lynn mars den, the cruise consultant, and she said to her knowledge regent has discontinued the dance hosts altogether. Too bad!

Anyway, back to the regular programming. Morning was slightly overcast on our way to peterhof, but no rain. Temp was perfect in the upper 60s. There were 3 guides for our bus, so 10 per guide. We had a great guide Anna, who spoke good English and told us enough but didn't go on and on. She also had a good sense of humor and didn't panic if she could not see all of us at once.

Peterhof is probably my favorite place in st Petersburg as the gardens and fountains are absolutely spectacular. I could go there again and again. Really enjoyed the tour.

Lunch on pool deck then my walk around the top deck for an hour followed by trivia. We lost by one point, which I think was ok as we only had 2 on our team and the other 6.

Crew capers was good as usual. It always makes me smile. Then they had the Russian bazaar in the gift shop. I had learned last time that there prices were better than on shore, plus you can use your cruise credit. Did some nice shopping, and the quality of stuff they have is high plus you can pick things up and examine them without someone breathing down your neck and pressuring you.

We had another great dinner in Sette mare. They had changed a couple of menu items and the stuff on the appetizer buffet was different too. So you could go several nights and not get tired of it. Really good gnocchi with a pesto sauce, lobster pasta, cannelloni which was decadent and cheesy.

We went to the broadway show as it is my favorite, and it did not disappoint. The singers are very good. They had changed some parts up from the last time I saw it also.

Thanks for the update. The sad part about Krew Kapers is that it signifies the coming of the end and soon the suitcases will be on the bed. It is one show though that we never miss.

If you get the chance, please remember Barbara and me to Lynn Marsden, a lovely lady with whom we have sailed many times.

A major change in the weather, cool, very overcast and looking like it could pour at any minute. We were docked in an industrial area, totally different spot than where we had docked on the previous trip.

I put on my rain jacket, and we headed to the suominlina fortress. A really good guide. We went by bus to the market pier, then by ferry to the island. A very breezy trip. The island is an old fortress. We had way to little time here, only 1 1/2 hr. it would take at least 3-4 to explore adequately. I really liked it but didn't want to leave.

Back to the city, we took off walking to the military museum which focuses on the winter war against the soviets. This is a subject I know next to nothing about, but my son had studied it. The Finns were able to fight off the well equipped soviet with minimal equipment. Many of the men had to bring their own weapons. It really was fascinating.

At some great pizza at a true hole in the wall. Then back by the ship's shuttle. A sorry sight waited for us--suitcases out on the beds.

We missed a question at trivia that we really should have known, so no win there. Tonight they will turn Internet off at 11:00 so I am posting early. Dinner in CR, then after dinner, the female vocalist is doing a show in the observation lounge. That should be interesting as we are in some swell and wind at 44 knots.

Dinner last night in CR was great as usual. I treated myself to a salt stick and to cheese for dessert as it was he last night.

Very windy, so there signs up that closed all the outside decks. I guess they were worried about people blowing off. The furniture on our balcony was all sucked over to one side. Interesting views outside as every so often we would said alongside a container ship, and when the waves would hit the bow, it would make a huge burst of water in the air.

The girl singer sang in the horizon lounge instead of the observation lounge and was quite good.

Off the ship at 8:15. I had reserved a cab to take us to the vasa museum which opened at 8:30. It is interesting and highly recommend it. Then to airport.

This was a really great cruise. I think we lucked out with the weather, and that definitely plays a role in the enjoyment of the trip.

Condition of the ship was perfect. Everything in our suite looked good and functioned well. Public areas were very clean and no wear and tear apparent.

Staff was uniformly friendly and pleasant. Only saw a couple of people that I knew from previously (Capt McNeil, Elda, Frank in the dining room, and the Gurka security guys). Our cabin steward was very quiet, but did everything we asked quickly and efficiently. He kept us supplied with diet coke which was good.

Food was good to outstanding--as good as any we have had on Regent and better by far than what we had on Silversea. Only complaint was that the Chicken Kiev was over breaded. But no improperly cooked meat or fish. Medium came out as medium. Food that was supposed to be hot was hot. Service was attentive, and the flow of the meal was perfect every night except one where we had to wait a little bit for our main course. The waiter apologized--they had been hit with a bunch coming in from the welcome reception.

Wine pours were not stingy (as opposed to Silversea), and glasses were topped up often. Quality of wine was ok. A lot of the wines were ones I would buy at home. Only truly great wine was in Signatures, but we never felt a need to shop from the premium list in the other venues.

Entertainment was just ok. The singers in the Jean Ann Ryan company were really good as were the dancers, but the other individual singers were not that good. Also the shows need some updating. The Cirque show was new, but the others were "been there, done that".

Excursions ranged from bad (due to a bad guide) to outstanding. I enjoyed all of them except for the Hermitage tour with the terrible guide--and it was the one I paid extra for.

Fellow cruisers--way younger than any previous cruise I have taken on Regent. I was probably about average age, with most people being in their 50s. There were a LOT of kids, mostly teenagers, but a few 8-12 yr olds. They were all really well behaved (due to parents who were making sure they did). I would say at least 30 kids on board, but no issues that I could see.

There was one baby, probably about 6 mos old. I am not a kid hater, but Regent is not for babies. I think it is stupid to go on a Regent cruise with a baby. A waste of money if you don't do the included tours, and rude to other passengers if you take the baby on tour. At Peterhof, the baby was screaming its head off. We were in another tour group, but I sure felt sorry for those who were on the same bus. Mom was trying to comfort, but the baby was tired and clearly unhappy. On the ship, I only ever saw them out by the pool deck which was fine.

There were a few grouchy adults. My son just laughed at some of the stuff they complained about. But really, if a tour says it is a walking tour with 2 hrs of moderate walking, don't take it if you don't like to walk or can't walk. If it says stairs, yes, there will be stairs. The tour descriptions are quite specific and if anything, overrate the difficulty of the tour rather than underrate.

OK, enough complaining. It was a great cruise, and I can't wait to go again!

We will be doing our first cruise on Regent on Voyager in September. Thank you for your ongoing review. Made me excited about our cruise even though it is not to the same place. Would love to do Russia in the future. My DH is not much of a walker so we book private tours.

There were a few grouchy adults. My son just laughed at some of the stuff they complained about. But really, if a tour says it is a walking tour with 2 hrs of moderate walking, don't take it if you don't like to walk or can't walk. If it says stairs, yes, there will be stairs. The tour descriptions are quite specific and if anything, overrate the difficulty of the tour rather than underrate.

I totally agree. We would like more "coach only" tours, but cannot fault the Regent descriptions.

Nice summing up from a contented guest.

Thank you for taking the time to post Rachel.

We board on the 15th for the same itinerary and the weather continues to look favourable. I am packing layers and a raincoat (that will stay in the closet!).

I am particularly excited about the high speed train to Moscow. Did you hear anything about that excursion? I know that it will be a very long day but that won't dampen our enthusiasm.

Captain McNeil has been our captain on all of our previous cruises and we really appreciate his sense of humour and how he goes out of his way to interact with the passengers.

We leave for Copenhagen on Sunday so I am off to pack!

Thanks again for your review.:)

Didn't hear anything about the high speed train to Moscow excursion from guests, but Alex, who was our private guide for the day we had the private tour in St. Petersburg, was the guide accompanying the group to Moscow. He said there were 19 in 1st class and something like 68 in regular on the train, and they would have Moscow guides once they got there.

He thought that the train was a much better option than flying because the train stations are right in the middle of town vs the airports which are quite a ways outside. THus you do not have to deal with as much traffic. So he thought that you would definitely have much more real time to sight see in Moscow.

Rachael, we were on the same cruise! Interesting to read your day-by-day reviews. We were on the Bornholm bike ride, too, and the Revolutionary St. Petersburg tour, too.

My blog from this cruise is here.

Thanks for your posts!

Rachael, we were on the same cruise! Interesting to read your day-by-day reviews. We were on the Bornholm bike ride, too, and the Revolutionary St. Petersburg tour, too.

My blog from this cruise is here.

Thanks for your posts!

Kdub24 thanks for posting your blog! Great fun and many memories of our own Voyager visit thru the Baltic a couple years ago! Really enjoyed your humor and could see everything once again in my mind :)

Heres to the next sailing!

Archived