Amalfi short day

Liveforetravel

Has anyone taken the ferry to Positano or vice versa from Positano to Amalfi. As we have never been there I think we will take the ferry one way and a bus or taxi the other to see the coast. I was thinking it might be best to take the road back from positano as you would be on the cliff side (outside) portion of the road. we are not there long, is it crazy to think we could do all that and still see Rovello? We are there 11am to 6:30pm

Has anyone taken the ferry to Positano or vice versa from Positano to Amalfi. As we have never been there I think we will take the ferry one way and a bus or taxi the other to see the coast. I was thinking it might be best to take the road back from positano as you would be on the cliff side (outside) portion of the road. we are not there long, is it crazy to think we could do all that and still see Rovello? We are there 11am to 6:30pm

You are where from 11 to 6:30? Are you going to be in Salerno, Amalfi, Sorrento, or Naples? If you are in Amalfi it will be a tender port and you need to factor that into the length of your day (how long to even get ashore). On a day that short getting to Positano will depend on the ferry schedule as they do not run as often as one would like. The SITA buses do run on a more regular schedule but I believe the schedule varies between every 30 -45 min.

Hank

You are where from 11 to 6:30? Are you going to be in Salerno, Amalfi, Sorrento, or Naples? If you are in Amalfi it will be a tender port and you need to factor that into the length of your day (how long to even get ashore). On a day that short getting to Positano will depend on the ferry schedule as they do not run as often as one would like. The SITA buses do run on a more regular schedule but I believe the schedule varies between every 30 -45 min.

Hank

Sorry that was a puzzle if we are coming back from Positano we are tendering in Amalfi. I sent an email to get a schedule for the ferry and got a response that we should ask again in September. Should we skip the ferry idea as we will be arriving from the Isle of Capri that morning and therefore cruising along the coast past Positano on our way to Amalfi. We have a balcony on the port side.

Sorry that was a puzzle if we are coming back from Positano we are tendering in Amalfi. I sent an email to get a schedule for the ferry and got a response that we should ask again in September. Should we skip the ferry idea as we will be arriving from the Isle of Capri that morning and therefore cruising along the coast past Positano on our way to Amalfi. We have a balcony on the port side.

Your cruise ship will not be able to get too close to the coast as it cruises to Amalfi but you will still get a view of the basic topography unless your Captain keeps you well off the coast. The coastal ferries/hydrofoils/jetboats do hug the coast a lot closer then any cruise ship but, to be honest, the view of the Amalfi coastal area is much more interesting from the Amalfi Drive (used by the SITA bus and tours). From Amalfi you can try to catch the SITA bus going back towards Positano or you could also opt to catch the bus up to Ravello (you would not have time to do both those options). Using the SITA bus would give you some time in Positano but you would have to gauge the situation (at the time) as to how much time before you need to head back to Amalfi. You should adjust your plans to the realties that exist on that day...and not on some personal unflexible itinerary.

The alternative is to take a cruise line excursion where you do not have to be concerned with the time constraints.

Hank

Your cruise ship will not be able to get too close to the coast as it cruises to Amalfi but you will still get a view of the basic topography unless your Captain keeps you well off the coast. The coastal ferries/hydrofoils/jetboats do hug the coast a lot closer then any cruise ship but, to be honest, the view of the Amalfi coastal area is much more interesting from the Amalfi Drive (used by the SITA bus and tours). From Amalfi you can try to catch the SITA bus going back towards Positano or you could also opt to catch the bus up to Ravello (you would not have time to do both those options). Using the SITA bus would give you some time in Positano but you would have to gauge the situation (at the time) as to how much time before you need to head back to Amalfi. You should adjust your plans to the realties that exist on that day...and not on some personal unflexible itinerary.

The alternative is to take a cruise line excursion where you do not have to be concerned with the time constraints.

Hank

Thanks we figured it out we have a long day in Sorrento 2 days earlier 8am until midnight and will go to Pompei on the Circumsuviana train and then take the bus from Sorrento to Amalfi in the late afternoon this passes through Positano (SITA). The ship doesnt leave Sorrento until midnight and only goes to Capri from there. We can then do Ravello at our leasure on that day.

Keep in mind that the local bus to Ravello departs right at the small square at Amalfi (just opposite from the water and near the main street). Those buses used to only run about once very 45 min and can get crowded in the high season.

Hank

Archived