Sharks

OC Mom

Okay, I'm sure it's been said before, but I just saw "Open Water" and need to ask.... if I am wading in the water, close to the shore, will I encounter sharks? How about at St. Martin and Nassau? Thanks :)

Hello OC Mom,

Quite rare on St. Thomas. You might see a nurse shark if out snorkeling or diving.

--Islander

www.*****

We have snorkeled in St. Maarten and Nassau and didn't see any sharks there.

And just as an FYI, nurse sharks aren't biters. They work like vacuum cleaners for their food.

I refuse to see that movie. I was traumatized by Jaws for years!:eek:

Have a great time.

Michelle

OC Mom,

We saw open water a couple weeks ago, I don't think I will be taking a group diving trip anytime in the near future, unless they tie a rope to my waist and the boat LOL.

I have never seen any sharks that bothered me, it's the barracuda that I really had to get used to. Have a great time!

Kim

if you go to Coki Beach aquarium. They are in a pool and you can feed them. Since they are only about a foot long they can't handle small children or people who take movies as gospel.

After 35 years of going to StT I have never seen or heard of one bothering divers. Stay close to the shore or boat when you snorkle. There are more hazards with coral scrapes that man eating fish.:eek:

You guys need to understand, it doesn't matter if they bite, I freak out with ALL if them!:eek: :) That's why I don't snorkel...anymore. I went snorkeling off Catalina Island, CA in a marine preserve area. I had no idea there would be SOOO many on them (just fish mind you) and all in my face. I started screaming underwater through my snorkel and climbed on my husband's shoulders, who was also trying to tread water at the time. He thought it was hysterical and still makes fun of me at parties :p . I think I'll stay real close to shore thank you.

OC Mom, I'm with you on the issue of too much marine life swimming around you. I grew up on the east coast and used to swim way out there past the break point of waves...and that water you can't see a thing through. How stupid was I?? hahaha!!! Not anymore I don't do that...just wading for me.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

the odds of being attack by a shark is so small that you got a higher chance of getting ran over and killed by a service cart aboard ship.

most attacks the shark thinks that you are a seal or a injured fish.

one of main job of a shark is to remove dead and injured fish and the way people act at times they should be removed.

over the years i swam, snorkel and dived with all types of sharks tigers, great whites ,hammerheads and many others from inches long to some over 20 ft long also swim with large schools of barricuda. was attack by guian squid in the gulf of calif. but the thing that scears me the most is the personal i'm in the water with

paul

Archived