First Dis Cruise booking time question...

tallen429

Hi!

I've glanced at a lot of threads but thought it easier to lay out my specific circumstances.

We are WDW vets but new to DCL.

I'm planning a Mommy & Me trip w/ dd 6 that will include some park days and a 3 night cruise on the Dream.

I'm an AP holder as well as a DisVisa holder.

Cruise prices listed are fine right now but I'm wondering if I should book the cruise or wait to see about possible discounts.

Just being DD and I we won't be eligible for the specials that require double occupancy.

Our sailing dates will be either Jan 17 or Jan 24 2012.

Historical discounts for the DCL are harder to find than the normal WDW discounts.

So book or wait??

Hi!

I've glanced at a lot of threads but thought it easier to lay out my specific circumstances.

We are WDW vets but new to DCL.

I'm planning a Mommy & Me trip w/ dd 6 that will include some park days and a 3 night cruise on the Dream.

I'm an AP holder as well as a DisVisa holder.

Cruise prices listed are fine right now but I'm wondering if I should book the cruise or wait to see about possible discounts.

Just being DD and I we won't be eligible for the specials that require double occupancy.

Our sailing dates will be either Jan 17 or Jan 24 2012.

Historical discounts for the DCL are harder to find than the normal WDW discounts.

So book or wait??

Typically on DCL (as well as most cruiselines) the prices are lowest on opening day. As the space fills onboard, the prices rise. These rises can be quite dramatic (within hours for some cruises), or take a bit of time (some take several months before you will see an increase).

On (some) cruises that are not selling well, DCL may offer last minute restricted fare discounts. They will usually make this decision about 30-60 days out from a cruise. With these fares you book a type of room (Interior, Oceanview, or Verandah). DCL will assign you to a room within your type of room about 2 weeks out from the cruise. While these last minute fares are generally lower than the current rates for the same type of room, they are higher than the rates were for the same type room on opening day.

On cruise ships, the first 2 people in a room pay the same price (regardless of age). The second & third people in a room will have lower rates that can be based on age.

:)

Typically on DCL (as well as most cruiselines) the prices are lowest on opening day. As the space fills onboard, the prices rise. These rises can be quite dramatic (within hours for some cruises), or take a bit of time (some take several months before you will see an increase).

On (some) cruises that are not selling well, DCL may offer last minute restricted fare discounts. They will usually make this decision about 30-60 days out from a cruise. With these fares you book a type of room (Interior, Oceanview, or Verandah). DCL will assign you to a room within your type of room about 2 weeks out from the cruise. While these last minute fares are generally lower than the current rates for the same type of room, they are higher than the rates were for the same type room on opening day.

On cruise ships, the first 2 people in a room pay the same price (regardless of age). The second & third people in a room will have lower rates that can be based on age.

THanks for the info:D

As far as I know, DCL has never offered discounts on their cruises.

Well I have seen quite a few "deals" like kids sail free, etc advertised...

However like I said I think the current posted rate is reasonable and so I think I'll just book what I want now and avoid stressing about it later.

Thanks!

Where do you live?

IMHO, the 3 night cruises are a bit short- the 4 nighters are more relaxing.

Depending on your budget of course. Sometimes DCL does 'guarantee' staterooms that are a bit less expensive, but they assign your stateroom- you don't pick.

They also do different discount programs depending on how full the ship is for that particular cruise.

We just booked a cruise with a military discount with awesome savings.....:D

Where do you live?

IMHO, the 3 night cruises are a bit short- the 4 nighters are more relaxing.

Depending on your budget of course. Sometimes DCL does 'guarantee' staterooms that are a bit less expensive, but they assign your stateroom- you don't pick.

They also do different discount programs depending on how full the ship is for that particular cruise.

We just booked a cruise with a military discount with awesome savings.....:D

Yes, that was the last-minute restricted fares I was referring to. There are several restrictrions:

You must pay in full at booking

You must have everyones full name and birthdate

You may not make any requests as to location of room

There are no changes (room type/date of sailing/number or names of people in room)

There are no refunds.

They have had some discounts available randomly (also on the cruises that are not selling well): Kids Sail Free; Florida resident discount; Southern California resident discount; Canadian discount; military discout for examples.

Archived