Anywhere to get milk for a night-time bottle?

RuxieGirl

Check the temp of the fridge. They seem to be more like coolers. I have never felt one that seemed cold enough to keep milk safe to drink.

Keep the door closed and only leave enough for a day or two and you will be fine.

Wow, this is all very helpful. Thank you so much. I had heard that about the fridges being more like coolers. She won't need milk after 8pm or so, so I feel OK that we can get it on the Lido deck and either warm it up in our sink or just give it to her cold. It's not like she's an infant or anything, she's just a very picky 3-year old!

The refrigerators are not truly cold. But, I read that keeping the carton IN the ice bucket In the fridge also helps. Someone even suggested keeping the wood exterior door slightly open to release warmed up air in the cubicle it's in.

Love the Liberty...yes they have a mini fridge in all cabins.

However, I would never drink any milk kept in them as i do not believe the temp is low enough to keep milk fresh. You will be better off ordering from room service IMO.

order some cookies to go along with the milk too :D

We always brought a cooler and stored the milk in there. I agree that the fridges are not that cold. You will do what is best for your child regardless, but have you tried to break her from the middle of the night milk habit? We broke all of ours by about 18 months. We learned the hard way with #2 to execute tough love LOL He would wake in the middle of the night and want milk up until about 18 months (the two that came after him we stopped it at about a year). You know your child and you can tell when they are truly hungry or it's simply a comfort for them. Obviously there are some comforts that you allow them like blankets or teddies. Ay 3 they are usually potty trained and may pee the rest of the night if given milk. Anyway, we discovered with him that it was purely habit. He was used to waking up, shouting for us, jumping in his crib, then us bringing him some milk. It was about 2 nights of him being mad at us, but it was a really easy habit to break.

Again, you know your daughter better than anyone and you will do what you see fit regardless. I am just offering a little advice. When they were babies on a cruse I didn't mind the middle of the night wake up call for food. At 3 they are preschoolers and really do not need it unless it is a habit they have developed. But yeah, if all else fails they can go behind closed doors on the Lido and fetch you a couple of cartons of milk. Or bring the almond milk from trader joes or rice milk from costco which does not need to be refrigerated. I used to keep the rice milk in my trunk in El Paso when the two youngest were still babies.

We always brought a cooler and stored the milk in there. I agree that the fridges are not that cold. You will do what is best for your child regardless, but have you tried to break her from the middle of the night milk habit? We broke all of ours by about 18 months. We learned the hard way with #2 to execute tough love LOL He would wake in the middle of the night and want milk up until about 18 months (the two that came after him we stopped it at about a year). You know your child and you can tell when they are truly hungry or it's simply a comfort for them. Obviously there are some comforts that you allow them like blankets or teddies. Ay 3 they are usually potty trained and may pee the rest of the night if given milk. Anyway, we discovered with him that it was purely habit. He was used to waking up, shouting for us, jumping in his crib, then us bringing him some milk. It was about 2 nights of him being mad at us, but it was a really easy habit to break.

Again, you know your daughter better than anyone and you will do what you see fit regardless. I am just offering a little advice. When they were babies on a cruse I didn't mind the middle of the night wake up call for food. At 3 they are preschoolers and really do not need it unless it is a habit they have developed. But yeah, if all else fails they can go behind closed doors on the Lido and fetch you a couple of cartons of milk. Or bring the almond milk from trader joes or rice milk from costco which does not need to be refrigerated. I used to keep the rice milk in my trunk in El Paso when the two youngest were still babies.

How true. Waking up and being catered to becomes a part of a child's ritual, not need.

One thing I've done at hotels when my daughter was smaller was bring a small plastic rubbermaid type of bottle - this way if the milk I got was a carton that might fall apart in ice/water, I'd pour it into the plastic container, then could put it in the ice bucket. (By the time she cruised, she was older and although still drank milk, it wasn't as scheduled, and we managed, but like everyone else has said - it's no problem getting milk on the ship)

We always brought a cooler and stored the milk in there. I agree that the fridges are not that cold. You will do what is best for your child regardless, but have you tried to break her from the middle of the night milk habit?

The OP said her daughter has a sippy cup of milk BEFORE bed.

When my DD was little I used to buy the Parmalot (sp?) boxes of milk. they cam in an 8oz juicbox style box and were perfect for that. They are shelf stable and do not require refrigeration, so you don't have to worry about that and then they were room temp when she drank them, thus solving the heating it up problem.

Have a great cruise!

That's so cool! I had no idea. So we can have the fridge cleared out and put the sodas we bring from port into it? Awesome! Oh, and the milk. Hee hee.

Sometimes the steward will clear out the minibar and sometime not. Also, the minibar is not very cold, they are minibars not refrigerators. I wouldn't keep milk in it for more than a few hours.

Which ship will you be on?

We just returned from our cruise on Ecstasy and had a fridge because we were in a Grand Suite, but lower categories ( on some class of ships) do not have them unless you can get one requested. If you do get a fridge they are cool enough to keep milk fresh....i questioned the temp the forst day but tested it and it was cold. If you dont have one just tell your room steward on the firat day that you would like ice and they will refresh your bucket twice a day. We did and it always had ice in it.

DO NOT RELY ON ROOM SERVICE AT NIGHT! Night time the wait is sooooo long for room service...if you get thru that is!

My daughter needs milk every night as well and this is what we did.....1. Placed the morning room service request on our door for coffee and milk, then we put that milk in the fridge for the night. 2. On occassions when she drank her milk for her nap we always replenished our milk supply from the Lido deck since all milk is in 8oz cartons. Percect amount and very convenient!

Hope you have a great cruise!

It sounds like you all have this covered, but on our last cruise on NCL, I requested a mini-fridge the first day. My DH is diabetic and uses Victoza, which is fine out of refrigeration for a week, but we were in need of a second syringe, so needed the fridge. They were happy to oblige. Plus it was nice to keep my white wine ready for use. (gift from our TA)

Margaret

We tried placing some chocolate milks in the room fridge at breakfast, but by evening it just didn't feel cold at all and didn't trust it.

We did get milk on the lido when we bumped into our MDR head waiter cleaning up the buffet area around 1 a.m. and he went in back and got us a couple cold milks.

And to think John Heald says no staff work 15 hours a day. Hogwash.

How true. Waking up and being catered to becomes a part of a child's ritual, not need.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew the parenting police would come calling. Welcome!

Wow, I can't tell you how offended I am. Who are you all to tell me to break my daughter's habits? Is it any of your business if I give my child milk before bed or not?

Thanks to all who gave a great and HELPFUL answer without judgement, hopefully they are helpful to others who might have the same question and can read this and benefit from these answers without being judged.

(BTW, to those of you who feel I should "break" my child of this "nasty" habit, you would be screaming at me to give her milk if she would keep you up at night in your stateroom if she would cry at night for milk. Which, actually, she wouldn't.)

And to think John Heald says no staff work 15 hours a day. Hogwash.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew the parenting police would come calling. Welcome!

Not a parenting issue. If waking up (not speaking of newborns) becomes part of the routine, it stays routine.

Not a parenting issue. If waking up (not speaking of newborns) becomes part of the routine, it stays routine.

She gets milk before bed, we have a nice wind-down routine at the end of the evening with a cup of milk, wash and brush, a book and bed. What on earth is wrong with that? I said that we'd like to keep her on a routine if possible because I have cruised with a 3 year old before (my older daughter) and when her routine got crazy, SHE got crazy. Perhaps I'd like to keep her on her routine so she will sleep well for my nearby passengers.

Wow, what's with you people? How nice it must be to be or have been perfect parents.

She gets milk before bed, we have a nice wind-down routine at the end of the evening with a cup of milk, wash and brush, a book and bed. What on earth is wrong with that? I said that we'd like to keep her on a routine if possible because I have cruised with a 3 year old before (my older daughter) and when her routine got crazy, SHE got crazy. Perhaps I'd like to keep her on her routine so she will sleep well for my nearby passengers.

Wow, what's with you people? How nice it must be to be or have been perfect parents.

Not referring to you, it was part of an answer to post #33, about children waking up in the middle of the night. Over various postings, the answers have changed and diluted, kind of like the game where you say something in someone's ear, they whisper into the next person and so on down the line until the last person reveals what they heard. Usually not at all like the original statement!

Not referring to you, it was part of an answer to post #33, about children waking up in the middle of the night. Over various postings, the answers have changed and diluted, kind of like the game where you say something in someone's ear, they whisper into the next person and so on down the line until the last person reveals what they heard. Usually not at all like the original statement!

This is true. It was another poster who went from the OP asking about the "before bed sippy cup" to suggesting to break the habit of the middle-of-the-night wakings...

We have sailed on ships that did not have a fridge, this is what we do. Use either the Ice bucket (kinda small) or get one of the buckets they use for a "bucket of beer" and ask your steward to keep it iced and you can keep milk very cold. Even if the ice melts the water is still very cold. (within a reasonable amount of time, of course)

Also, on our last cruise room service was VERY quick to deliver the milk and cookies every night for our 3, almost 4 yr old.:)

Have a GREAT cruise!!!!!:)

Archived