Patch for motion sickness :Tips for 1st time user

CMM

I feel like such a landlubber instead of a pirate when it comes to the ocean movements, I'm fine on fresh water and short ocean/bay excursions, but sometimes the sea does tend to make me queasy... I am bringing the patch (used it decades ago without side effects but we'll see if the modern version is stronger), Bonine (because it is recommended for it's lower potential for drowsiness), and the Sea Bands (which provided me some relief on my first-ever cruise back in 2000). Also, some Tylenol PM in case there are significant swells, as I am deathly afraid of deep water (really, I am a mess!) so I'd rather be sleeping through a storm than experiencing it fully. The DH, on the other hand, will most likely be singing sea chanteys and downing rum during a storm, so there's that... ;^)

Thanks for a morning laugh regarding DH--gave me a Disney Pirate image of yo-ho,yo-ho...It is the same with our family I suffer and DH is 100%.

I had the patch the first time we cruised. I did not know or even think about side effects. While on the ship my vision was terrible. I would try to read the daily paper and couldn't. I was not telling my family members because I thought something was really wrong with me. I was thinking I had a brain tumor or something that serious. I finally let them know that I couldn't read the menu for dinner. My niece says to me.. you should read the side effects of the patch because I think it says it MAY cause blurred vision! Well...it is the funny story that we talk about EVERY TIME we go on a cruise!

My 16 year old gets motion sickness all the time. We are going to try the patch out on our upcoming cruise to see if this will be a good option for her with some future traveling next year. She has tried Bonine, Dramamine, relief band shock watch, ginger etc.

I've heard that there can be some negative side effects with the prescription Patch and wondered if anyone has any tips to share.

From a 20 year patch user and have used for my entire family including kids here are some helpful hints.

1. Cut it down...!!! It is just as effective . A whole one is too strong for anyone. It will cause extreme dry mouth and even some vision issues after several days. If you cut it down to 1/2 or 1/4 size it is still very effective and no vision effects and the dry mouth is almost nil.

2. Mark your calendar and make sure you change it on day 3, every 3 days.

I get extreme motion sickness and the patch has ALWAYS worked well for me. They now use it in surgery for patients and always use 1/2 patch. I've heard people on here say to make sure and ask your dr and pharmacist but I've been using them for 20 years and NEVER had a problem with cutting them and my dr and pharmacist have both told me its just as effective to cut it and that is what the hospitals do too..!!

3. As sick as I get in general I have never been sick on a cruise ship. THe first few days it is a little adjustment and even by the end of the cruise I can go without the patch at all. It's amazing how you really don't even realize the ship is in motion.

4. Go, have a great time and ENJOY..! The patch is a lifesaver for those who need it ..!!! If you are nervous at all about side effects. Cut a small piece off one and wear it around the house for a day and see if you have any side effects before you go. When I cut mine I always put the remaining 3/4ths back in the package and fold the top over until I'm ready for the rest of it.

Like others, I used to use Dramamine, but I would be sleepy all the time. My doctor prescribed the patch for me back in 2001 and I have used them for flights and cruises ever since – with no side effects. There is a "less drowsy" Dramamine pill out now, but less drowsy is still too drowsy for me.

Good luck.. B e well..

QTPie :cool:

Archived