Trip insurance question

cookmg40

I have put a deposit on a February 2013 cruise. I am traveling with 4 other families. I am trying to understand the benefit of purchasing trip insurance now versus when I make final payment.

I understand the insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions if I purchase now but what if I don't have any pre-existing conditions? Will the rates be higher if I wait until final payment?

Or if I purchase insurance now and cancel my trip before final payment is due, can I get a refund on the insurance?

Thanks for any help!

I have put a deposit on a February 2013 cruise. I am traveling with 4 other families. I am trying to understand the benefit of purchasing trip insurance now versus when I make final payment.

I understand the insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions if I purchase now but what if I don't have any pre-existing conditions? Will the rates be higher if I wait until final payment?

Or if I purchase insurance now and cancel my trip before final payment is due, can I get a refund on the insurance?

Thanks for any help!

Any pre existing conditions are covered if you buy insurance when you book. The rates can go up at any time before you make your payment. Policies differ on refunds.

~Doris~

Any pre existing conditions are covered if you buy insurance when you book. The rates can go up at any time before you make your payment. Policies differ on refunds.

~Doris~

Not all travel insurance polices waive pre-existing conditions if purchased when the cruise is booked. OP needs to carefully check and review the insurance companies pre-existing policy before booking.

Thanks for any help!

Once you've paid your insurance premium, it is not refundable, regardless of when you purchased the insurance, or paid for the cruise. It's like asking ïf homeowner insurance is refundable if you don't use it. No, it's not, either.

Some of the cruise lines refund the insurance. HAL does not but I have received refunds from both NCL and Carnival. Both were before final payment day. It's not refundable after that. Thats usually 90 days prior to

sail date. So if you booked within that 90 days, then no its not refundable.

Check your cruiseline's rules. I don't know about private policies.

Something to think about - Right this minute you do not have any pre-existing conditions. Suppose this weekend you have a gall bladder attack - not severe enough for surgery, but nevertheless - diagnosed. Now you have a pre existing condition. If purchasing insurance now - you have a pre existing condition - but it could be months after initial deposit and too late to purchase coverage that would insure you should your gall bladder act up and require surgery just before the cruise - insurance will not cover. A scenario such as this is probably not likely, but in my opinion, travel insurance is purchased to cover against unlikely, unexpected, or unplanned events that could result in travel plans being cancelled.

I just became eligible for Medicare and my new doctor wanted to start by scheduling me for all kinds of "wellness" tests to rule out things. Mammogram, colonoscopy etc. No reason just because I am of "that age".

I said no way. Not until I get over my trip. I have travel insurance and I don't want any "pre-existing" conditions showing up. Now I have that to look forward to when I get back. Yuck...

Archived