Would you recommend the Breakaway to these folks?

rubytue

My folks are thinking of joining us on a cruise to Bermuda next summer/fall. I really want to do the Breakaway out of NY. The other option is RCL out of Baltimore (we live in Baltimore).

My folks: around 70. Have done 3 cruises - Alaska on HAL, China on Viking, and Norway on one of the cruise ships/mail boats (more of a tour group on the boat rather than traditional cruise).

Dad HATED the jacket/tie thing on HAL. Like it was the worst thing on the cruise (:rolleyes:). He is one of those "I wore a suit for 30 years and I'm DONE with that." (NCL +1)

Mom says they have enjoyed all their cruises, but they liked the smaller ships with less people. HAL was too many people for them. (NCL -1)

But, they are also content to just relax on a balcony all day and rarely go enjoy any of the activities. The boat is a way to relax between being places. (NCL neutral)

Dad needs to walk his daily 2 miles. But neither RCL or the Breakaway will have a promanade deck for that. He'll have to use the upper deck for laps.

So, the Breakaway will be twice as many people as the Zaandam. But they would also be find hanging out in a balcony room most of the day, and then getting dinner and maybe a show.

I guess the question - do you think a large ship like the Epic or Breakaway will be too much for folks who like a slow pace but can't stand the formality of something like HAL (or even formal nights and traditional dining times like RCL)?

If it's within their budget, the Haven would be perfect for your parents! They can be pampered, be around less people and enjoy the relaxed dress code.:) They can have all the entertainment of the Breakaway and still enjoy their own little world.:)

My folks are thinking of joining us on a cruise to Bermuda next summer/fall. I really want to do the Breakaway out of NY. The other option is RCL out of Baltimore (we live in Baltimore).

My folks: around 70. Have done 3 cruises - Alaska on HAL, China on Viking, and Norway on one of the cruise ships/mail boats (more of a tour group on the boat rather than traditional cruise).

Dad HATED the jacket/tie thing on HAL. Like it was the worst thing on the cruise (:rolleyes:). He is one of those "I wore a suit for 30 years and I'm DONE with that." (NCL +1)

Mom says they have enjoyed all their cruises, but they liked the smaller ships with less people. HAL was too many people for them. (NCL -1)

But, they are also content to just relax on a balcony all day and rarely go enjoy any of the activities. The boat is a way to relax between being places. (NCL neutral)

Dad needs to walk his daily 2 miles. But neither RCL or the Breakaway will have a promanade deck for that. He'll have to use the upper deck for laps.

So, the Breakaway will be twice as many people as the Zaandam. But they would also be find hanging out in a balcony room most of the day, and then getting dinner and maybe a show.

I guess the question - do you think a large ship like the Epic or Breakaway will be too much for folks who like a slow pace but can't stand the formality of something like HAL (or even formal nights and traditional dining times like RCL)?

Let me start out by saying I'm 70, and like your father I like a slower pace and I don't like dressing up on vacation, so I generally choose NCL, although I'll go on other lines if there are reasons to.

I've been on the Epic twice and currently have a third and fourth cruise (b2b) scheduled. I find that the Epic doesn't seem like a particularly big ship in that the space is well designed and it's not really crowded.

I hope to cruise on the Breakaway, and I'm not sure yet if it will have a promenade deck. On the Epic, there's a semi-promenade in that it provides space to walk but doesn't go all around the ship. I suspect if the Breakaway is the same, your father could try that or walk up top. I usually use the fitness center for my exercise, but I have walked the deck. If he doesn't get bored by it, the treadmill in the gym might also work.

Your folks will enjoy their balcony for relaxing, and if they want to be more active, NCL has great activities during the day and offers some great shows, especially on the big ships. As I said, I've been on the Epic twice, and because I like to relax quite often, I still haven't done half the things I want to do.

Based on what you've said, I'd have no qualms about booking the Breakaway for your parents. Maybe I'll even see you and them on board. Whatever you decide, I hope you all have a great cruise.

Thanks for the first hand review, dublell. That does sound encouraging. I'm pretty excited about the breakaway, but we are near the target demographic (mid 30s who like to do a lot).

The haven is a good option. When we are ready to book, I may check out suite options. We'll have to see how the 2 bedroom suite compares to 2 balconies. Cagneys for lunch is so tempting.

Archived