Martha's Vineyard/Portland

anteldel

Hi Anteldel,

DH and I live on Martha's Vineyard. Try http://www.mvol.com or http://www.mvy.com for ideas. A rental car would be good. I usually support using the bus system but on cruise ship days they are very very crowded. There is a budget rental car place right where you disembark from the tender in Oak Bluffs. If you rent a car you can go where the bus tours don't and avoid the crowds.If you tell us what you like and want to see we can tell you where to go.

Any knowledgable taxi driver will give you a tour but the taxi rates are pretty high. PLEASE DO NOT RENT MOPEDS(they're very dangerous with all the island traffic and keep the EMTs very busy)

We have also been to Portland several times. The chamber of commerce has a great sight. i can't think of the address right now. It's a lovely little city to walk around in. The indoor markets a bit of a walk from the ship but it's worth it.

If you have any Qs we woild be happy to do our best.

Kannna

I'll check those websites to get a better idea of what we would like to do, and I e-mailed Budget Rental to get a price for a car. We're in Martha's Vineyard Tues 8/23 until 4 and Portland Wed 8/24 until almost 5.

I'm looking for a little sightseeing and local flavor for DH & 13 year old daughter. None of the ship's shore excursions sound very appealing.

The lighthouse and the Victoria mansion in Portland sounded interesting. How could I get there if I don't do the ship excursion?

Thank you very much for being so helpful!!

~Liz

Portland is very very easy to do on your own and there are very friendly and inexpensive tour ops along the docks to the left of where you will dock! You can get a city trolley tour and harbor cruise for about $30. It's a very walkable city. Also train to the right is replica of the first train there (I think, not as into "Trains" as companion) and a small but interesting museum. Save time for lunch at one of the harborside restaurants for divine lobster and chowders! Check here for info also: http://www.visitportland.com. Canada/New England is a great itinerary IMHO..will do again on longer cruise to sail down the St Lawrence..

PLEASE DO NOT RENT MOPEDS(they're very dangerous with all the island traffic and keep the EMTs very busy) ......If you have any Qs we woild be happy to do our best.

Kannna

We were thinking of renting regular bikes when we are there for the day on 12 September with the Enchantment. Is this a good way to see some of the Island? Are the bike trails nice? Any rental shops near the tender docks? Thanks for your help!

Portland is very very easy to do on your own and there are very friendly and inexpensive tour ops along the docks to the left of where you will dock! You can get a city trolley tour and harbor cruise for about $30. It's a very walkable city. Also train to the right is replica of the first train there (I think, not as into "Trains" as companion) and a small but interesting museum. Save time for lunch at one of the harborside restaurants for divine lobster and chowders! Check here for info also: http://www.visitportland.com. Canada/New England is a great itinerary IMHO..will do again on longer cruise to sail down the St Lawrence..

I ordered a guide from http://www.visitportland.com. Your suggestions were great, I think I'm set for Portland now.

whale watcher,

bikes are fine. The bike paths are pretty extensive. However, I hope your in shape. The island is much bigger than people think. It's 6 miles to Edgartown from Oak Bluffs by the beach which is pretty but the wind is gonna be against you going one way or the other. If your just gonna ride around Oak bluffs, I'm all for the bikes. I ride my own alot. You could ride over to the East chop light house and ride through the gingerbread houses in the campground. The campground museum is little but very interesting i think thier website is http://www.mvcma.org. There's a rental place right near the tender dock. I'll look into thier name. The Chamber of commerce has a good map with all the bike paths on it and will send it for free go to http://www.mvy.com and click on publications. There is a whole tourist packet.

k

Enchantment of the Seas 8/21/05

Looking for ideas for these two ports to do on our own.

On Marthas Vineyard you should try to rent a motor scooter -- fun way to get around the island -- whatever you do, do not get on a bus -- they creep over the narrow roads, barely make it around corners in the towns, and insulate you from the feel of the island. You can cover the whole island in four hours.

Portland is big, not much to see nearby, so a walk-about near the pier is good - - maybe get a taxi to take you around - trust the driver to know what's worth seeing -- but there isn't much -- that is a good port to stay aboard and enjoy the ship to yourself with most of the mob ashore.

On Portland is big, not much to see nearby, so a walk-about near the pier is good - - maybe get a taxi to take you around - trust the driver to know what's worth seeing -- but there isn't much -- that is a good port to stay aboard and enjoy the ship to yourself with most of the mob ashore.

Oh, my, I respectfully disagree!! Even if you don't want to stay in Portland itself you can rent a car/take tour to Kennenbunkport, head to the outlets at Freeport (what woman doesn't like shopping).... the lighthouses in Casco Bay are very picturesque.. There's an island in the bay (eagle island??) that I can't for the life of me remember the name of that you can also visit.. To each his own but IMHO there is plenty to do here and relatively inexpensively also since you don't really have to take a tour to have a nice day (see above post)..

Maybe buses are crowded on cruise ship days and that might be a reason to avoid them but otherwise I think the Vineyard has one of the most convenient and affordable bus systems you could ask for. They are a great way to get from one town to the next. Once you get into the towns they are very walkable.

I have biked the Vineyard but you had better be in shape. The island is big and it is not flat. The ride between Vinyard Haven and Oak Bluffs is rather short and easy. It is a rather long ride from Oak Bluffs to Edgartown and if you are going against the wind it can seem like the ride is lasting forever. As far as scooters go, I think they are fine for people like me who ride motorcycles but for inexperienced folks I think getting on a scooter anywhere is just asking for trouble.

Depending on how much time you will have to spend on the island I would say that Edgartown and Oak Bluffs are the nicest towns to walk through. Vineyard Haven is not that impressive a town. Aquinnah is a beautiful place to go to if you have the time. I would not recommend attempting to bike to it.

The Vineyard is one of my favorite places to go to after Nantucket. But then, that is where I lived as a kid.

Fabulous!!

If you have anymore Qs please ask. One suggestion go to menemsha for lunch "The Bite" is everything you think a clam shack should be. or if you feel like lobster the fish market'll cook one up for you. The tour buses don't go there. The municiple bus does. I think it's #5.

K

• 3 weeks later...

anteldel, you can take one the commuter ferries to Peaks Island or one of the others in Casco bay and roam around. The trains Host Caroline refer to were the actual trains used by lumber companies to haul lumber, supplies and men in the Maine woods. The two foot wide tracks were easy to put down. Along the train track is part of series of walking and biking trails that meander through Portland. If you follow this one it will take you to a park that offers scenic views of Casco bay and its 300+ islands.

Enjoy your stay in our special city.

Hi Kannna,

I have a group of 12 (adults) family and friends on the Constellation's New England cruise this September. It will be our first visit to this area. Just wondered if you know of a private tour company that is able to take us around in a mini van or 2 cars for a day or half day tour in Martha's Vineyard and Portland.

Also, we all love lobster so any suggetions on the best place for lunch would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and have a great weekend.

Rita

Once you get off the tender there are many taxis waiting. They have vans that are used for taxis - some are 15/12 passenger. I asked the guy, Brent of Tisdale Taxi, and he said it is $60 per hour for an island tour, no matter how many people you want to fit in the van. It will last about 2 hours for the regular version, longer if you like for the more intimate version. All the companies do this if you like. I have the number at home, but on the sites listed above it will have all the info for the different taxi companies.

wongri,

i'll look into it. If wog is refering to MV i think he/she means "Tisbury" taxi. The thing about just grabbing a cab for a tour is you don't know who your gonna get. if they're college kids for the summer or a knowledgable islander. i know a few people and'll look into it for you. the nantucket clipper was here today.

kannna

Kannna -- any companies you would suggest for short sailing excursions or for kayaking -- we were thinking about island spirit for kayaking -- they seem really nice over the phone. We are still looking for a possible sailing excursion out of Oak Bluffs.

Thanks!

wongri,

i'll look into it. If wog is refering to MV i think he/she means "Tisbury" taxi. The thing about just grabbing a cab for a tour is you don't know who your gonna get. if they're college kids for the summer or a knowledgable islander. i know a few people and'll look into it for you. the nantucket clipper was here today.

kannna

Yes, you are correct. I was working with a guy named Tisdale and inserted that. My apologies. It is Tisbury Taxi, but any of them will do it for you.

Kannna & TheWog,

Many thanks for your assistance.

With such a large group if I can arrange something prior to arrival I would feel much better.

As you say . . . I would like someone knowlegable that knows what attractions we should see.

Cheers,

Rita

My understanding is that the tenders go into Oak Bluffs. The Gingerbread cottages are about a 5 minute walk at most.

Yes!!!! This helps my sister and I a lot!!!! Think we'll do our own tour of the Vineyard from the tender. Thanks for your help....much appreciated! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody,

Been a busy summer so far.

Wongri, have you found anything yet? I've been looking but nothing yet. There is a suggestion though. try http://www.mvtour.com give them a call. they might have a smaller bus you could charter and be able to do a more personal tour. All of their tour guide know practically everything about the island. and i'll keep on lookin as well.

Nancy, the gingerbread cottages have a web site http://www.mvcma.org and there is a museum in the campground that's small but very interesting.

It's a beautiful day today

K

Archived