Traveling with gear

sylent

What do you guys do when you cruise and fly with your dive fins, mask, snorkel and boots? We aren't bringing a BCD or Regs.

Do you just pack in your check in luggage? I've tried to find a carry on bag to fit it but the problem I'm having is my fins are a bit too long for baggage that is under the airlines carry on restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done a couple of things. I've packed our snorkel gear in one of those collapsable mesh back pack (scuba bags) and put in suitcase. That way, you can just throw it over your shoulder for your day of snorkeling or diving. Or, buy a big duffel bag on wheels and packed the fins in the big side compartment (outer compartment).

I also bought a Scuba suitcase for all our equipment on wheels, but we find its too heavy and not practical for cruising. We've only used it once or twice. Plus, the airlines would probably charge overage fees with the BC, regulator, etc. in it.

I have an Akona bag and it's very lightweight when empty, but also very durable. So far, it's held up on six cruises and lots of usage when I'm down in San Carlos. I can hit it with the hose to rinse it out with no problem.

It holds my bc, wetsuit, diveskin, fins, boots, gloves, water shoes, and clothing when I fly. When I get to port to go diving, I add a towel and my regulator bag, which holds the regulator, mask, compass, and other accessories.

I also have a mesh bag, but it's just too hard for me to carry any long distance, so I went with the roller bag and I love it. It was a good investment.

All my gear except the computer and regs goes in a soft-sided wheeled duffle. Not much in a scuba bag to get crushed and its easier to get the fins, etc in there than into a regular suitcase. I'm really not too worried about wetsuits, fins, masks, etc getting stolen. They're relatively low value and high bulk. I have carry on space for things like cameras, strobes, computers, etc.

We have a large duffel bag from REI that fits fins, masks, snorkels, regs, BCDs, and dive bags for both my wife and I. All total, it weighs about 35 lbs. That is usually our one checked bag. We try to fit our clothes into a single roll-aboard each, then carry backpacks as our "personal items" - one backpack for the laptop/iPad/dive computers, one for the camera.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought a roller bag that holds all our gear from leisurepro dot com-they have an amazing selection with great prices so you can pick what works best for your family. We can get 2 sets of full dive gear in right at the 50 pound mark, so I've never paid overage fees.

One thing to note-if you're traveling without your BCD & regs, contact the place you're diving with to determine what kind of equipment they'll have on them. The airline lost my luggage before my last cruise & I ended up on an excursion with a homemade BCD and regulator with a computer that wouldn't register my air. Not too cool. Don't want the same to happen to you.

Buy a Samsonite plastic suitcase and take out the divider piece that comes with it. It's a great lightweight case for dive gear. And it's waterproof, so all the wet gear you bring home doesn't get the rest of your stuff messy. We still hand carry the regulators and dive computers.

I can get two people's gear in this suitcase, and still come in under the 50 lb limit.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Archived