Grandeur of the seas review 2/7/12

Here is my brief review of our 11 day grandeur of the seas review, there was 11 of us travelling for my mums 50th birthday!

Overall: great cruise with great family, every port was amazing and I wish I could be back there immediately!

The ship:

The good - Its in good condition, as you would expect after the refit that was just completed a substantial re-fit. It smelt of new carpet and you could feel it was new. Entertainment I watched was good, great band doing songs from the 60's. Quest was hilarious. Food was good. Main dining room always had something that looked delicious. Buffet always had lots of variety and was tasty. Park cafe - those roast beef rolls are to die for! Ate at Giovanni's for lunch, I've never been served so much food in my life I really could not eat it all. Chops for dinner was simply amazing. Outstanding service and superb food.

The bad- the staff were grumpy and really disorangised for the first 2 days, no idea why but it put a bit of a damper on the cruise to start. This did improve significantly after a few days. The cocktails were served sooo strong I couldn't drink them, but this is a personal preference I suppose. We all stayed in different cabins. My aunt, brother and sister were on level 2 where they reported the air conditioner was not working. I was in 3036 and it was perfect no problems at all. My parents were in 8038 this cabin (jr suite) had some issues. The bath flooded ruining my mums brand new manolo blaniks -girls will understand - so they had big fans in their room for 4days. We had issues with the gifts and gear I ordered for my mums birthday but after a few trips to guest services and showing my credit card bill they agreeded to supply the birthday cake and decorations I had ordered. I also purchased a swim suit in one of the ports (speedo) and went in the pool on the ship that afternoon where it was bleached from the water, but they asked me to fill out an incident report and I gave them the ruined swimmers and they gave me obc. (I had the receipt for the swimwear) the pool was drained that day so there may have been other complaints.

We did some ship tours and some on Own. Highly recommend ultimate Ephesus, amazing place! We did a tour in Bodrum where we went to the castle then meant to go to the beach. The tour was awful but plenty of complaints must have been made as we all got 50% off.

All in all it was a great cruise! I would imagine the few hurdles we ran into may have been from the dry dock and possibly new staff but I would definitely recommend this cruise! Any questions let me know!

I love the way you actually review your own family, and classify them as "Great" It would have been really embarassing that you marked them down for any reason.

I was also on the same cruise as you and did not have the same experience with grumpy staff, in fact I found most of them to be some of the best over recent cruises. Especially the Cruise Director and his team, along with the entire Speciality Dining Team.

I inadventally 'rated' my family. Sorry if you found this 'embarrassing', however I do think they are great.

Yes Ricco the CD was great and also the specialty restaurant staff.

This is a personal review it may not be the same for each passenger. I also stated the staff improved significantly after a few days. I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed your cruise, I did too.

Err, I never said that I found it embarassing, and I am sure that they are great. What I actually said was that " I Loved the way that you reviewed them" :D

Of course each passenger will have different experiences, and I did not say that your opinions or experiences were any less valid than mine. However as some people base future cruising decisions on what they read on these pages, I also wanted to express that in my opinion, the statement of "the staff were grumpy and disorganised for the first 2 days" could give the impression that all of them were as such. Where as I did not find that to be the case, as I found most of them to be welcoming and happy.

Now there was one exception ( and hopefully your sense of humour will understand what I mean by this ) the female voice that is used in the Centrum Lifts, really does need to take a happy pill :D

Like you I loved the ship, and thought that the revitalised are really an asset to an older ship. Please do not take any offence to my remark, the trouble with a typed word it that is cannot always show the smile that accompanies any statement.

I still love the fact that you inadvertally rated your family, but in a humerous way, and here are some smiles to convince you :D:):D:)

I inadventally 'rated' my family. Sorry if you found this 'embarrassing', however I do think they are great.

Yes Ricco the CD was great and also the specialty restaurant staff.

This is a personal review it may not be the same for each passenger. I also stated the staff improved significantly after a few days. I'm glad you had a great time and enjoyed your cruise, I did too.

Archived