Breaking news ...forget the Olymics

Just had a look at Board Reader

Think that's My Olympic Challenge Complete

Team GB Woo Hoo

Oh it was a bit fun..that's me for now, although I will keep a little eye on Ponci and his/her replies:cool::eek:

Goodbye for now:)

Just had a look at Board Reader

Think that's My Olympic Challenge Complete

Team GB Woo Hoo

Oh it was a bit fun..that's me for now, although I will keep a little eye on Ponci and his/her replies:cool::eek:

Goodbye for now:)

Sorry, have to mention the Olympics tonight. What a day for GB :D:D:D

Sorry, have to mention the Olympics tonight. What a day for GB :D:D

Hi Little Nell :) I do agree.

We went to Weymouth yesterday - not that we had any tickets but just wanted to go and experience the atmosphere around an Olympic event. I'd been sceptical at best and feared embarrassment at worst at the prospect of us hosting the Olympics - but my goodness have I been converted!

The amazing dedication and commitment of the athletes is humbling - both the winners and losers. But it's not just the celebration of such fantastic achievements - I think the Games has been a triumph apart from the medal tally (although that in itself is fantastic).

The spin-offs have been wonderful too; the artistic and creative aspects of the Games, the wonderful volunteers, the venues and above all the fantastic GBP! The genuine warmth, welcome and sheer exuberance of the people around the country watching the torch relay, the crowds on the streets for the road races, the spectators in the Stadia has been heart-warming. They have applauded, encouraged and showed their support of not only the home competitors but all competitors. What a great advert for our country.

In Weymouth yesterday it was great to watch events on the big screen on the beach alongside so many other people - strangers but with a common feeling of good cheer, pride and 'belonging'.

We also saw the 'Collective Spirit' boat built from donations from the public of wooden objects which were put together in a huge collage. Each piece had a story to tell - wooden spoon, saw handle, Brio train set, rabbit jigsaw, spirit level, hockey stick, walking stick, musical instruments and even a piece of wood which had been part of HMS Trafalgar and had been rescued from a car park barrier in Bembridge sailing club (I.o.W.) And there was a shaving from one of Jimi Hendrix's guitar! Now that took me back - I saw him play in the late 60's not really appreciating the significance!!!:o

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=collective+spirit+boat&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ikw&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XSQeUInAN8a50QXt_4DgBw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

It is so inspired - and stunningly beautiful.

And back to cruising - we were both reflecting as we walked around this quaint, flower and flag bedecked town with a pretty Harbour, great atmosphere, fabulous views and very continental cafe culture what a lovely place to visit. Had we gone on a DiY trip on the train from a port of call during a cruise to Weymouth we'd have got back to the ship thinking it had been a great day out and a fab destination - it could knock spots off some ports we've been to!!

(P.S. And we saw some wind-surfing and yachts - but had no idea what was going on really! :o )

We are off to the Paralympics, from £5 seniors/!0 full price. I'm not surprised though as 10 years ago we held the Commonwealth Games and the atmosphere in the city was fantastic, not to mention it was spotlessly clean for the first time, lol. Watch out for the anti-climax when it finishes though. How will we fill our days.:)

Jan

Gold Medal thank you so much lol

Ponci it's down to you:D:cool:

Are you allowed to shove the gold medallist out of the way like that? Foul! Linda won it fair and square and should be reinstated. Silver medal for you.;)

Jan

Are you allowed to shove the gold medallist out of the way like that? Foul! Linda won it fair and square and should be reinstated. Silver medal for you.;)

Jan

Lol

Think Linda won gold Friday:D

My Medal was Saturday:p

But since it's all in good sport, I shall hand my Gold Back if required;) Jan

Hi Little Nell :) I do agree.

We went to Weymouth yesterday - not that we had any tickets but just wanted to go and experience the atmosphere around an Olympic event. I'd been sceptical at best and feared embarrassment at worst at the prospect of us hosting the Olympics - but my goodness have I been converted!

The amazing dedication and commitment of the athletes is humbling - both the winners and losers. But it's not just the celebration of such fantastic achievements - I think the Games has been a triumph apart from the medal tally (although that in itself is fantastic).

The spin-offs have been wonderful too; the artistic and creative aspects of the Games, the wonderful volunteers, the venues and above all the fantastic GBP! The genuine warmth, welcome and sheer exuberance of the people around the country watching the torch relay, the crowds on the streets for the road races, the spectators in the Stadia has been heart-warming. They have applauded, encouraged and showed their support of not only the home competitors but all competitors. What a great advert for our country.

In Weymouth yesterday it was great to watch events on the big screen on the beach alongside so many other people - strangers but with a common feeling of good cheer, pride and 'belonging'.

We also saw the 'Collective Spirit' boat built from donations from the public of wooden objects which were put together in a huge collage. Each piece had a story to tell - wooden spoon, saw handle, Brio train set, rabbit jigsaw, spirit level, hockey stick, walking stick, musical instruments and even a piece of wood which had been part of HMS Trafalgar and had been rescued from a car park barrier in Bembridge sailing club (I.o.W.) And there was a shaving from one of Jimi Hendrix's guitar! Now that took me back - I saw him play in the late 60's not really appreciating the significance!!!:o

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=collective+spirit+boat&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Ikw&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XSQeUInAN8a50QXt_4DgBw&ved=0CFQQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=610

It is so inspired - and stunningly beautiful.

And back to cruising - we were both reflecting as we walked around this quaint, flower and flag bedecked town with a pretty Harbour, great atmosphere, fabulous views and very continental cafe culture what a lovely place to visit. Had we gone on a DiY trip on the train from a port of call during a cruise to Weymouth we'd have got back to the ship thinking it had been a great day out and a fab destination - it could knock spots off some ports we've been to!!

(P.S. And we saw some wind-surfing and yachts - but had no idea what was going on really! :o )

Hi Kruzseeka, I could almost feel I was there with you with your emotive and graphic description of your wonderful day out. I have been so emotional watching these Olympics. The dedication of the competitors and the selfless actions of the volunteers have made this a truly unforgettable experience.

Like you I was worried beforehand that this could be a bit of a shambles but from the opening ceremony it has been a triumph of everything that is good about Britain.

(The boat is incredible)

So glad you experienced the Olympic atmosphere :):):)

It was Nell and today ...it just keeps getting better :D

Sounded a great day out for you too Kruzseeka :D

Staying on an olympic theme, I was surfing around the net when I found the Olympia in her new colours.

I thought I'd put it on for some of you who have fond memories of times aboard her ...

:D

And your laddie's not doing so badly today either is he? :D One Gold already and hopefully another one too. Am watching as I type! C'mon Andy and Laura!

Lol

Think Linda won gold Friday:D

My Medal was Saturday:p

But since it's all in good sport, I shall hand my Gold Back if required;) Jan

You'll have to do a drug test first, lol.:D

Jan

Staying on an olympic theme, I was surfing around the net when I found the Olympia in her new colours.

I thought I'd put it on for some of you who have fond memories of times aboard her ...

Thanks, Kalos, she was berthed next to us in Santorini. She's looking good and I did miss the skybar and the deck space :(

awwww. Miss the old girl. I have it on good authority that shes looking very tatty. Now I was of the opinion she was always a bit shabby :o :D but loved her anyway! however my friend who worked on her and is now on Majesty has taken off her rose tinted specs I think LOL

Jan as long as it's not a DRUNK test on a Saturday Night then I shall get to keep my GOLD that's for sure:D:cool::)

Hmm! Now that's a thought. Can athletes run under the influence of alcohol? I doubt it, the high hurdles might be a problem, lol.:D:D

Jan

Archived