Anytime dining from staff point of view

shipty2

I am reading the third book in the Cruise Confidential series and something dawned on me. Do you think it would be considered more or less desirable from the staff point of view to be serving anytime diners or scheduled seating diners?

I am reading the third book in the Cruise Confidential series and something dawned on me. Do you think it would be considered more or less desirable from the staff point of view to be serving anytime diners or scheduled seating diners?

Personally I don't think it makes any difference .

I would think the kitchen would struggle with any time dining more than the wait staff (although I've never worked in one so who knows) it just seems to me that with set times, they pretty much know when dinners are all done and dessert comes out...with anytime dining, they have to be ready with all the dinners all night...right?

I'd actually think that anytime dining would be EASIER, because with set times, you have a whole hoard of tables that you have to take orders from at the same time, and a whole ton of appetizers/mains/desserts to bring out at roughly the same time. I would also think that would make for more congestion in the kitchen, with all of the servers trying to get to the appetizer station at the same time, main...dessert...

I've never worked at a restaurant or on a cruise ship though, so that would just be my thinking.

I'd actually think that anytime dining would be EASIER, because with set times, you have a whole hoard of tables that you have to take orders from at the same time, and a whole ton of appetizers/mains/desserts to bring out at roughly the same time. I would also think that would make for more congestion in the kitchen, with all of the servers trying to get to the appetizer station at the same time, main...dessert...

I've never worked at a restaurant or on a cruise ship though, so that would just be my thinking.

google Carnival glory kitchen and look at images

The galley on cruise ships are sick.No congestion.We did chefs table and can tell you its a fine wheeled machine and huge

I would think they would rather have scheduled seating diners because they would get more tips. I mean the extra tips not the standard tips they put on your sail and sign.

We had anytime dining and it was hard to know how much to tip each night. We did manage to get the same wait staff for several nights, the last night I just gave each of them $5 and they were so happy, I don't think they were getting many extra tips.

Don't know as far as Carnival is concerned, and you did ask this on the Carnival board, but something I found interesting when we did My Time Dining on Royal Caribbean -

To be assigned to My Time Dining on Royal Caribbean, cruisers MUST pre-pay their gratuities - so being assigned to that dining option for the wait staff means they KNOW they will get all their tips! There is a good possibility that each evening, the My Time Dining wait teams can serve more diners than two dining times worth, so even more opportunity to increase those tips. For that reason, the RC wait teams for My Time Dining WANT that assignment and the BEST ones get it.

3rd in the series? where have I been? I didn't know there were any more books. Can you tell me the names of the other 2 books? I read Cruise Confidential and loved it! :)

#2 - Ship for Brains

#3 - Unsinkable Mr Brown

I have a feeling there might be one more in the future, but not going to say why as it would be a spoiler.

I just finished #3 last week and loved the whole series.

hmm didn't know there were more in the series..thanks for the info Rudyard

to the OPs question..

It really depends on how the food is set to come out. I have never done the behind the galley tour but if the kitchen is set up where there is a area that is strictly for set dinners and another area in the kitchen for anytime that would help the flow and prevent bottlenecks when servers are trying to get their meals. Again, just depends on the setup. Now if a server has to do both anytime and set diners tables then that would be A LOT on a already full plate for them.:p:D

Archived