2.5 year old on Independence of the Seas

lidolovers

Hi, we are sailing on Royal Caribbean's Independence of the Seas in January with our 2 and a half year old. I am getting so much mixed up information from the few people I have spoken to at RCI. Some say there is all day daycare where I can drop him off for no charge and then I read on their website differently.

Does anyone know the real deal with a child this age? Is there a playroom? We were hoping to be able to leave him to play an hour here or there while we go eat or hit the gym. Also I was told there was no charge and yet I read in a few places that it cost $8/h to leave them? I see there are also some classes you can go with them like music classes, etc.

Also can children this age still use any of the pools or water areas? Hopefully he will be out of diapers by then but I don't know for sure. What if he isn't?

If anyone has been on the Independence or a similar ship recently with a child this age I would love to hear the options that will be available to me, with the costs!

Thanks!

I don't think that Independence will be getting a nursery for drop off until 5/3/13. However, I think all ships have the Royal Babies and Tots program, which is an organized program where a staff member puts out toys and plays with parents and their little ones (you can't drop off - must stay with child). They also have times of they day when toys are put out and you can just go and play on your own with your children, and I think they might also allow check out of toys from Adventure Ocean? They might have in-room babysitting available for a cost, but from what I have heard it can be pretty pricey, and I would not count on being able to get it, or get it when you need it.

It's a shame that Independence does not have the Dreamworks Experience - that was a big hit with my daughter on Liberty! There is still plenty of fun to be had on Indy, though. Have a great trip!

So to more clearly answer your question, if your child was 3+ and potty trained, then the Adventure Ocean drop off program would be available for free. However, given the age of your child, that is not an option. On some ships there is a nursery for an $8/hour fee for ages 1-3, but that is not yet an option on Indy (unless you are traveling 5/3/13 or later). There MIGHT be in room sitting available for a fee (I might have seen $22/hour for a minimum number of hours), but you won't know about availability or cost until you get onto the ship.

I don't think that Independence will be getting a nursery for drop off until 5/3/13. However, I think all ships have the Royal Babies and Tots program, which is an organized program where a staff member puts out toys and plays with parents and their little ones (you can't drop off - must stay with child). They also have times of they day when toys are put out and you can just go and play on your own with your children, and I think they might also allow check out of toys from Adventure Ocean? They might have in-room babysitting available for a cost, but from what I have heard it can be pretty pricey, and I would not count on being able to get it, or get it when you need it.

It's a shame that Independence does not have the Dreamworks Experience - that was a big hit with my daughter on Liberty! There is still plenty of fun to be had on Indy, though. Have a great trip!

You are correct that Indy isn't getting revitalized until next year. Here is a link to the schedule if anyone is interested.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf

I had never noticed that Indy isn't getting the Dreamworks Experience, maybe because they are leaving it primarily in the European market, not sure.

Yes, thanks I finally found someone at RCI that gave me the run down and that boat does not have the nursery yet. I may end up changing to the Carnival Breeze or Freedom as they say that they have the play area for kids 2 and up. It's not big deal but I think our cruise would be much better if we can drop him off for an hour or two here and there to enjoy a nice meal. He also likes play groups and things like that too, so he would probably also enjoy the break from us. Anyone have any experience on Carnival with a kid the same age?

Yes, thanks I finally found someone at RCI that gave me the run down and that boat does not have the nursery yet. I may end up changing to the Carnival Breeze or Freedom as they say that they have the play area for kids 2 and up. It's not big deal but I think our cruise would be much better if we can drop him off for an hour or two here and there to enjoy a nice meal. He also likes play groups and things like that too, so he would probably also enjoy the break from us. Anyone have any experience on Carnival with a kid the same age?

I would tend to agree with you here, we just got off the Explorer who also does not have facilities for our 2 1/2 year old (other that the Royal babe's and tots whoich was great!) and although he enjoyed the ship, it would have been nicer for all of us, if there was more activites for him to do when his older brother was in the Adventure Ocean. It really is a shame that RC charges full price for a child under 3 but does not offer any activites or facilities for them. Hindsight is always 20/20 but if i had to do it over again, I would have either booked a different cruiseline or waited until he was over 3 and potty trained. Lesson learned for the future. We still had a nice time though!

Archived