Isn't Anyone Else Upset

geekguy1

Am I the only one really upset at Carnival's new "Value Add" (!!) policy that no longer allows travel agents to provide cash rebates for cruisers like me that neither need, nor wish to pay for, hand-holding or extra services? As far as I'm concerned, my previous Carnival cruise was both my first and my last. How consumer unfriendly can you be?

can you be more specific or give details..??

CCL made a new rule that TAs couldn't give $$ or valueable upgrades to solicit business. They can no longer throw in a free tour if you book with them, for example. It doesn't bother me at all. Some big travel groups were giving cash rebates too. So this will help the smaller, more personal TAs, that cannot afford to give extras.

Am I the only one really upset at Carnival's new "Value Add" (!!) policy that no longer allows travel agents to provide cash rebates for cruisers like me that neither need, nor wish to pay for, hand-holding or extra services? As far as I'm concerned, my previous Carnival cruise was both my first and my last. How consumer unfriendly can you be?

...maybe Carnival thinks of them as "kickbacks" ......rather than "rebates" .......

I see no problem with it. It's not that big of a deal at all. How sad....you book a cruise and all you get us a vacation ;)

Most times these bonuses come out of their own pocket so smaller TAs who are really good can't compete.

Also some if your benefits might come as them booking you as a group AND they are profiting from them.

Plus when cruising booking yourself is a whole lot easier especially if you have issues and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Our TA used t ogive us obc for 50-100 depending upon how much the cabin cost was. This was a rebate from their commission and used this to get additional business.

Not thrilled about it but not bothered enugh to stop cruising with Carnival.

Will probably make me decide to go direct to Carnival pvp and stop using TA though.

I see no problem with it. It's not that big of a deal at all. How sad....you book a cruise and all you get us a vacation ;)

Most times these bonuses come out of their own pocket so smaller TAs who are really good can't compete.

Also some if your benefits might come as them booking you as a group AND they are profiting from them.

Plus when cruising booking yourself is a whole lot easier especially if you have issues and so forth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Agreed. The smaller TAs don't earn enough of a commision to start with, so giving an OBC or similar really cut into their own income. Now the TAs will have to earn your business by giving better service.

gofadj- Stu, if your TA was a good one before, why take the business away from them by booking yourself? We have considered booking our own, just don't want to cut our very personable TA out of a commision. The cruise will still cost you the same. We are very flexible on dates & cabins, she has found us some good deals that way- making it cheaper than what we saw online.

gofadj- Stu, if your TA was a good one before, why take the business away from them by booking yourself? We have considered booking our own, just don't want to cut our very personable TA out of a commision. The cruise will still cost you the same. We are very flexible on dates & cabins, she has found us some good deals that way- making it cheaper than what we saw online.

I have always done the work and told her exactly what we wanted.

The problem is they are doing this parttime and several times we saw an upgrade we wanted and it took them 24 hours or more to respond and in once case no longer available.

As a result if not monetary savings better to deal direct and be able to speak to someone at any time.

it seems the people paying $100 more for their cruise by not getting obc on their cruise won't miss it.

i certainly don't mind paying for more to get a better product, but if it's the same as everyone else, i'd rather pay the least of everyone around me.

op, there a couple of other threads out there ith opinions when this was first announce. Hhopefully, they are still here.

Thank you ! , One LESS CRY BABY ON MY CRUISE. I just don't see why a lot of you folks find so many problems with booking a cruise.I book ES every trip and always get on board credit .I'm so HAPPY . NO PROBLEM HERE.

Our PVP is so knowledgeable that I just never bothered to seek a TA. For a cruise you really don't need one. If I was taking an extensive land trip, I know a TA that would do a great job, because he's traveled pretty much everywhere (he doesn't usually book cruises, so his knowledge very limited)

Last two cruises, we booked with a PVP and our friends with the TA. When there was a price drop, we got it without hassle, our friends had to jump through more hoops and wait in hopes that their TA got it done. With us, one phone call, with them 2-3.

I have always done the work and told her exactly what we wanted.

The problem is they are doing this parttime and several times we saw an upgrade we wanted and it took them 24 hours or more to respond and in once case no longer available.

As a result if not monetary savings better to deal direct and be able to speak to someone at any time.

I agree, after having "missed" price drops by not being able to contact my TA, and then by the time they respond, the price increases.

PVP's are 24/7.

However, Just started sailing RCCL, you can still "stack" discounts and coupons

.... Re. RCCL, some TA's offer free Pre-paid gratuities,

along with OBC. :)

AND if you sailed RCCL before you can also add a "Crown and Anchor" coupon to save another $125 on select sailings.

If you time the sailing date with resident/senior discount, the price savings can be quite substantial.

Mike

Thank you ! , One LESS CRY BABY ON MY CRUISE. I just don't see why a lot of you folks find so many problems with booking a cruise.I book ES every trip and always get on board credit .I'm so HAPPY . NO PROBLEM HERE.

The problem that you can't quite manage to see is that your OBC will be disappearing, thanks to Carnival's new policy. So, stay happy, ignore reality, and stay away from any cruises I'm going on.

You only get the obc if price goes down and that does not always happen.

This obc from TA is in addition to that

I guess not. Our TA never gave us "cash rebates." I never expected them. Now all TAs will have to earn your business by giving better, more knowledgable service. I like the fun friendly service we get from our TA.

CCL made a new rule that TAs couldn't give $$ or valueable upgrades to solicit business. They can no longer throw in a free tour if you book with them, for example. It doesn't bother me at all. Some big travel groups were giving cash rebates too. So this will help the smaller, more personal TAs, that cannot afford to give extras.

For those who prefer, or in some cases need, the extra services that a good travel agent provides, this new policy may not affect you. I travel differently: I'm able, willing, and in fact thoroughly enjoy searching the web, snail mail, and friends suggestions to pick where our next vacation will be. In short, I don't need, don't use, and don't wish to pay for extraneous services. Why is Carnival telling me I must now pay?

To the cruisers that talk about how small TAs who couldn't afford the service and the extras that large TAs (can, but often do not) provide, I understand your point. But what about small TAs who were willing to get business from people like me, in return for sharing some of their savings for not having to hire and train knowledgable help? Now Carnival is very directly harming them.

I fully believe that Carnival's main point is that many people will no longer need TAs and will book directly with CCL, thus increasing their profit by cutting out middleman payments. Some of you have already said that's what you'll do, so I don't believe for a moment that CCL cares one whit about the struggling TAs.

This was discussed and debated at length in July when the new policy came out.

There are many opinions of course.

I for one enjoy the OBC I receive from my TA. If you have not received OBC you may not care about this new policy at all. I do as this is a loss to me. I don't feel Carnival has the right to tell a TA what they can give me.

This is clearly to help Carnival's bottom line. (Nothing to do with helping TAs.)

The problem that you can't quite manage to see is that your OBC will be disappearing, thanks to Carnival's new policy. So, stay happy, ignore reality, and stay away from any cruises I'm going on.

OBC is not disappearing. Only OBC given by TA's is disappearing! If you book ES and your price drops you are still entitled to OBC after final payment.

I don't like it but there's nothing I can do about it. But upset? No. My TA (warehouse club) has cut ties with Carnival over this new policy. They've always beaten Carnival's pricing and added a few perks to the pot. Carnival will not be undersold, that's their perogative. C'est la vie.

it seems the people paying $100 more for their cruise by not getting obc on their cruise won't miss it.

i certainly don't mind paying for more to get a better product, but if it's the same as everyone else, i'd rather pay the least of everyone around me.

op, there a couple of other threads out there ith opinions when this was first announce. Hhopefully, they are still here.

Careful, pointing out the existence of multiple threads on a topic has been known to bring about a public flogging. :D

Archived