Once more with feeling for Jim and Stan regarding Capri

Don P

Kind of befuddled here with the multitude of possibilities. Hoping you can once again provide some assistance. We do not wish to see the Blue Grotto due to personal preferences but are interested in a boat tour around the area in the limited time we are in port. Would hope this tour included a stop near a marina or town where we could get a bite to eat. Good photo opportunities also!

Do you have any suggestions?

Don Picuri

I'm not Jim and Stan, but we did have an amazing experience in Capri last summer that sounds like it might be just what you're looking for. We booked a private excursion with Gianni of Gianni's boat. You can google "Gianni's boat Capri". You can also see many stellar reviews on Trip Advisor.

Gianni captained our boat that day. The boat is very clean and in excellent repair. There is an area that is for sunning and an area beneath a canopy. We were a group of 9 and there was plenty of room for all of us. He can stop for lunch at a restaurant that is accessible only by boat. We chose not to do this, as we wanted extended swimming time. Our pictures of the day are incredible. We had perfect weather. We completely circumnavigated the island of Capri.

Oh, and he brings a bottle of limoncello, homemade by his mother, which is delicious.

We've taken many excellent excursions in many beautiful places. This day with Gianni stands in the top two or three experiences ever.

we were in Capri a couple of years ago with Regent. We docked in Sorrento and took the hydrofoil over to the island. We were on a tour which was basically designed to get you there and back, to give youa brief overview of the island and then to let you have lots of free time to explore on your own. It was perfect for us and what's more, there were long queues for the hydrofoils and we did not have to bother with getting the tickets or worrying that we wouldn't get on one to come back to Sorrento to board the ship!

The hydrofoils arrive in lower Capri, at the Marina and there were boat tours on offer from there... so I suppose you could go over with such a tour, take your own boat tour and meet the group to return.

We speak Italian so had no language issues but I had the impression that most people there speak English as well...

On a Crystal cruise that stopped in Sorrento, we simply purchased tickets at the dock and rode the hydrofoil to and from Capri. Once there we took the funicular to the upper town and then rode the crowded little bus up to Anacapri. When my step-son was there on Semester at Sea, four of them hired a nice little boat that took them around the island including the Blue Grotto.

We do not speak Italian and had no problem. The hydrofoils were not crowded at all, but it was not midsummer. By the way, the shopping in Sorrento is wonderful but on Capri it is extremely upscale and expensive.

I personally found Capri to be a dull resort island with inaccessible beaches. I would much prefer to spend the time in Sorrento, Positano or Ravello, or just driving the Amalfi coast, which is the most beautiful drive I have ever experienced.

I personally found Capri to be a dull resort island with inaccessible beaches. I would much prefer to spend the time in Sorrento, Positano or Ravello, or just driving the Amalfi coast, which is the most beautiful drive I have ever experienced.

+1 Tryber, Capri is one area of Italy where the view from the sea is trumped by the view from the roads above. The Amalfi Drive is much more spectacular and scenic.

lunch+10.jpg

Add lunch at an out of the way "Bistro with a view" and it is a no brainer to skip Capri completely.

Jim, what restaurant is that in the photo? It looks like a beautiful lunch spot.

The restaurant is simply called Luca, and it is located just outside Ravello, but I can't tell you any more than that as our luncheon there was arranged completely by our guide....right down to the marscarpone filled zuchini blossoms

145637.jpg

As I have said before, there are dozens maybe hundreds of these hole in the wall places, so it it always a good idea to put your guide in charge and "go with the flow"

;) Enjoy!

+1 Tryber, Capri is one area of Italy where the view from the sea is trumped by the view from the roads above. The Amalfi Drive is much more spectacular and scenic.

lunch+10.jpg

Add lunch at an out of the way "Bistro with a view" and it is a no brainer to skip Capri completely.

We toured the Amalfi Coast our first time in the area! Which was lovely, but felt that we had to check out Capri when we stopped in Sorrento a couple of years later. You are correct that it is not that exciting of a destination, but I am glad that I was able to get there and see for myself. However I certainly would not go out of my way to get there again.

Having done the Amalfi Coast several times I agree with Jim and Stan. The coastal road and the towns along the way far outweigh Capri. I really

like Ravello for the fantastic views!!! Last time I was in Ravello I bought a whole set of dishes just to match my remodeled kitchen - It is a dangerous place for your wallet but not your eyes!!!!

Archived