Binocular Options

clojacks

I know there are a multitude of threads about the "best" binoculars for Alaska, but I have a question regarding different types that we own. We have a full size tasco set that were relatively cheap that are a 10X50 and a couple of smaller Bushnell sporting event type that are 8X21. Most of the info I have been seeing refers to the larger full size style. Are we wasting our time bringing the smaller ones and should we get another full size set quick since we leave in a week?

I know there are a multitude of threads about the "best" binoculars for Alaska, but I have a question regarding different types that we own. We have a full size tasco set that were relatively cheap that are a 10X50 and a couple of smaller Bushnell sporting event type that are 8X21. Most of the info I have been seeing refers to the larger full size style. Are we wasting our time bringing the smaller ones and should we get another full size set quick since we leave in a week?

I have two pairs of the small ones 8x21 and 1 10x50 pair. we just share works good for us. hope that helps we did alaska in 2010 this way and repeating the same in 14 days:D

Actually, there are 3 of us going, and we have 1 of the larger size, and 2 of the smaller sporting event size, so the question is really to bring the 3 we have, or get another of the larger size and share 2 of those between the 3 of us.

I'm going to get up on my little soapbox for a bit and express my opinion on binoculars and Alaska travel.

Travel on a cruise ship to Alaska, though well worth the price, still costs a pretty penny between airfare, the cost of the cruise, extra $$ spent on the ship and excursions, either through the cruise line or privately, not to mention the little extras along the way.

Alaska wildlife is abundant and visible. However, it doesn't walk up to you and tap you on the shoulder. On our recent 2 week cruise on HAL we saw lots of wildlife. A sampling:

On excursions or while traveling on our own:

Humpback Whales

Orca

Otters

tons of birds, including hundreds (maybe thousands) of Bald Eagles

Otters

Brown Bears

Dall's Sheep

From the cruise ship:

Humpback Whales

Orca

Gray Whale

tons of birds, including Eagles, Albatross and the much-loved Puffins

Dall's Porpoise

How did we see all these creatures? For the most part, with the use of our binoculars. This was expecially true of the three bears we saw (one with a cub), which we wouldn't have been able to see without the aid of binoculars. And, FYI, we also brought an 80mm spotting scope with us -- but we're crazy people.

So, considering these facts, after spending all that money on your trip, why not invest a few hundred dollars more for decent binoculars so you can enjoy yourself? There are many threads recommending binoculars. I would just tell you to focus on these things:

1. 8 x 32 are good numbers for the cruise, especially if you buy binoculars with coated lenses, which will amplify light. 10x magnification might sound better in theory. But you need a very steady hand and you will also have a narrower field of view (see next point).
  2. Check the field of view available on the binoculars. You want the widest field you can get within your price range. This will help you get things into view quickly and more easily.
  3. You definitely want binoculars that are either waterproof (best) or, at the very least, water resistant. You're going to Alaska. Alaska has lots of rain. 'nuf said.

If you're interested in reading about our experience, you can check out my blog here: http://aprilbirding.blogspot.com

Good luck and have a GREAT trip!!!! :D

If you have a Bass Pro Shop store nearby, there is a set of Leupold BX-2 Acadia that will be on sale Friday, August 10 ONLY. They are $100 off, so $149.97. The are 10X42, excellent user reviews on Bass Pro and Cabelas's. Limit one per customer, I'll be there opening on Friday morning. Everything I have from Leupold is first class and they make great glass. American made also does not hurt

Test them out, and pick the one which suits you.

Put all of the binoculars around your neck, and go for a quick hike around a local park, or along a country road. Look for birds and small game. See how well you can spot it with your selection of binoculars. See how well each fits into your hand, and how long you can hold each steady. See how they differ in sharpness, or field of vision, or magnification. See how they differ in how they feel around your neck, or your pocket, or your hip. See how fast and how easily you can focus each. See how well they stand up to a rain.

Evaluation of binoculars is really much more subjective than objective.

Test them out, and pick the one which suits you.

Put all of the binoculars around your neck, and go for a quick hike around a local park, or along a country road. Look for birds and small game. See how well you can spot it with your selection of binoculars. See how well each fits into your hand, and how long you can hold each steady. See how they differ in sharpness, or field of vision, or magnification. See how they differ in how they feel around your neck, or your pocket, or your hip. See how fast and how easily you can focus each. See how well they stand up to a rain.

Evaluation of binoculars is really much more subjective than objective.

Best advise I have gotten so far!! Thanks.

Archived