Worth it to wait for stingray/snorkel tour at dock?

kimkencruzers

There are lots of companies I am trying to compare a stingray/snorkel excursion for a December cruise (day before Christmas at Cayman).

Is this a busy time of year? Would there be plenty of space on an excursion and/or better price at the dock as opposed to pre-booking? I would like to see the weather first, if it's rainy and overcast or choppy, I might decide not to go.

Thanks for your input!

• 2 weeks later...
There are lots of companies I am trying to compare a stingray/snorkel excursion for a December cruise (day before Christmas at Cayman).

Is this a busy time of year? Would there be plenty of space on an excursion and/or better price at the dock as opposed to pre-booking? I would like to see the weather first, if it's rainy and overcast or choppy, I might decide not to go.

Thanks for your input!

anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Look at how many ships are in port with you that day.

That is the most important factor.

Have been there with 7 ships in port and every vendor was packed to capacity before we tendered in.

Been there with just two ships in and every vendor was trying to add people at the tender pier.

Going to be there in less than a week and we are the only ship in port.

I wanted to ensure my favorite SRC excursion, so I went ahead and booked in advance. (plus prefer to pay in full before the cruise)

Bill

Look at how many ships are in port with you that day.

That is the most important factor.

Have been there with 7 ships in port and every vendor was packed to capacity before we tendered in.

Been there with just two ships in and every vendor was trying to add people at the tender pier.

Going to be there in less than a week and we are the only ship in port.

I wanted to ensure my favorite SRC excursion, so I went ahead and booked in advance. (plus prefer to pay in full before the cruise)

Bill

Thnaks Bill! That is exactly the advice I was looking for. It appears that there will be 3 ships in port... what do you think? And, which stingray excursion is it that you like so much?

Thanks,

Kim

• 3 weeks later...

Now I am getting conflicting info about what time the port authority says my ship arrives ( 10:30 - 6:30) and when my cruise line say they arrive (8 am to 3 pm) and it is a big difference....

I really want to know if there are 3 ships in port on my day (Monday, December 24) will I have any problems booking at the dock? I don't know for sure when we are docking and what the weather will be like. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!

Im having the same dilemma. We are going Dec 10 and I am concerned about the weather too. I am from Florida and am a wuss when it comes to being cold in the water. If its overcast or cool, I dont think I want to go and be miserable. We have prebooked with Moby Dick but dont have to pay until we arrive. Concerned also with the time. We are booked for 9, but with tendering I dont see how we can make that time. The tour guy said we would be fine. We'll see!

The people with Moby Dick are awesome. Both times we stopped at Grand Caymen, we booked with them and would do that this coming time, but we want to go to Rum Point, so having a hard time deciding who to choose ,because we were so happy with the Moby Dick people.

I would Highly recommend them if you are having worries about time. They are well aware of your cruise ship time and plan so accordingly. Book ahead. They only have so many spots as they only take 25 people at a time so there is more personal time. The ride itself to Sting Ray City is worth the money. Gorgeous water and beautiful views.

Archived