peggy's cove tour

Since Peggy's cove is so small can you do the tour on your own just as easy as with a tour group?

I don;t see why not. I went with a tour and they stopped there for an hour or so for us to walk around.

You can either rent a car or use a taxi to get there and back.

Since Peggy's cove is so small can you do the tour on your own just as easy as with a tour group?

Easy to do on your own. It's a nice drive so you can take your time. If you want great fresh and cheap lobster, drive a couple of miles past the lighthouse to Ryer and Ryer Lobster. Best lobster meal I've ever had.

• 2 weeks later...

Either way you choose to do it ( on your own or with a tour group) plan for the earliest arrival possible. Peggy's Cove is v-e-r-y small and will become packed like sardines as the day wears on. The first time we went, we were amongst the first tour group there and in about an hour and a half, you literally could not move inside the gift shop, and trying to get into the lighthouse looked to be an impossible task.

Beautiful, beautiful place tho' and well worth seeing. Just be mindful of the crowds that will amass very quickly.

Smooth Sailing! :)

Either way you choose to do it ( on your own or with a tour group) plan for the earliest arrival possible. Peggy's Cove is v-e-r-y small and will become packed like sardines as the day wears on. The first time we went, we were amongst the first tour group there and in about an hour and a half, you literally could not move inside the gift shop, and trying to get into the lighthouse looked to be an impossible task.

Beautiful, beautiful place tho' and well worth seeing. Just be mindful of the crowds that will amass very quickly.

Smooth Sailing! :)

Luvs2travl - we are renting a car and planning to drive to Peggy's Cove as well as down to Lunenberg. My plan was to visit Lunenberg first and then hit Peggy's Cove on the way back thinking I would avoid the tour buses. However, after reading what you wrote I think I could be wrong? Should we be going to Peggy's Cove first?

The Seaborn Sojourn (1pm until 7pm) and the Carnival Glory (10am until 7pm) are in port the same day. We are in port 8am until 4pm.

No! I would allow time and go there on your way back.

Most, if not all, the tour busses go in the morning. I was there in July on a day with no cruise ships in Halifax. There were four tour busses but they all left around mid day.

It is also good when touring on your own to go to the farthest point first. If you run out of time you could leave Peggys until your next time here. You will want to come back!

I just checked Port Schedule for times etc- based on ships you mention you are here on Oct 11th? If that is correct I would suggest you disembark right away and hopefully no hold up with rental car and head straight for Peggy's have a quick tour and then on to Lunenburg.

The Carnival's 3000 passengers don't get in until 10am and late departure 7.0 pm and Sojourn although not many passengers doesn't dock until 1.0 pm so on this particular day I can see it being very busy as the day progresses you have the edge. Early Bird gets the Worm!!!

Did you have specific interest in Lunenburg or is trip for scenery etc if so you have time depending on length of stops to take coast road Route#3 as apposed to 103. Keep in mind approx an hour on the 103 back to Halifax.

Hope this helps and you have great visit.

No! I would allow time and go there on your way back.

Most, if not all, the tour busses go in the morning. I was there in July on a day with no cruise ships in Halifax. There were four tour busses but they all left around mid day.

It is also good when touring on your own to go to the farthest point first. If you run out of time you could leave Peggys until your next time here. You will want to come back!

This was my thinking... but then I read Lulu's comments and it got me thinking.

I just checked Port Schedule for times etc- based on ships you mention you are here on Oct 11th? If that is correct I would suggest you disembark right away and hopefully no hold up with rental car and head straight for Peggy's have a quick tour and then on to Lunenburg.

The Carnival's 3000 passengers don't get in until 10am and late departure 7.0 pm and Sojourn although not many passengers doesn't dock until 1.0 pm so on this particular day I can see it being very busy as the day progresses you have the edge. Early Bird gets the Worm!!!

Did you have specific interest in Lunenburg or is trip for scenery etc if so you have time depending on length of stops to take coast road Route#3 as apposed to 103. Keep in mind approx an hour on the 103 back to Halifax.

Yes, when I saw there were 3 ships (including the Emerald) and the Carnival has 3000 passengers as you said, I think I'm leaning towards hitting up PC's first.

As for visiting Lunenburg, it is more of a trip for scenery in the area. I'm a fan of the tv show Haven and would love to see the area in person as it looks so beautiful on TV.

Yes - and Lulu was so right to check the port schedule for the number of ships, passengers and their arrival times. Sounds like the morning will work out best for you.

Ours was one of the ealiest ships in port and we were fortunate enough to get the first tour in the morning, so we were leaving just about the time all the multitudes of buses from the other ships & later tours were arriving. We counted over 20 buses when we left, with more coming in. We were also there in October.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy the gorgeous scenery. We will be leaving on the same voyage again on Oct 6th on the Maasdam but will be bypassing Peggy's Cove this time and going straight on to Lunenburg.

Smooth Sailing!!:D:D

Archived