Faster to the Fun program announced today

GuitarPlayer

LOL! They could make way more money by charging each person $1.00. And nobody would know the difference.

I agree. This is getting ridiculous! Nobody paid for the loyalty program. You didn't earn it and it is not owed to you. You went on Cruises. You had a great time! OR If you did not have a great time and yet continued to spend money on cruises then your stupidity in doing so is ALL ON YOU! It seems our society is becoming ever more highly one of entitlement. Everyone feels they are entitled to things. Ya know what? We are NOT entitled to ANYTHING except to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. Anyone who isn't happy with Carnival is free to PURSUE happiness ELSEWHERE! :rolleyes:

I agree. This is getting ridiculous! Nobody paid for the loyalty program. You didn't earn it and it is not owed to you. You went on Cruises. You had a great time! OR If you did not have a great time and yet continued to spend money on cruises then your stupidity in doing so is ALL ON YOU! It seems our society is becoming ever more highly one of entitlement. Everyone feels they are entitled to things. Ya know what? We are NOT entitled to ANYTHING except to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness. Anyone who isn't happy with Carnival is free to PURSUE happiness ELSEWHERE! :rolleyes:

I disagree

When I first started cruising there was none of this. When they came out with the Concierge club they made me platinum. So Carnival is the one that started this with all the loyalty perks.

I googled this

Carnival's New Loyalty Program: You Take Care of Us, We Take Care of You

Sailed with Carnival Cruises Lines (tel. 800/327-9501; www.carnival.com) ten or more times? If so, you're now eligible for the perks of its new Carnival Concierge Club, which rewards loyal customers with various incentives to keep you coming back.

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality," said Carnival president and CEO Bob Dickinson in announcing the program. "The new 'Carnival Concierge Club' is just one more way of showing our appreciation to our loyal past guests."

Available exclusively to "Platinum" cardholders who have sailed aboard Carnival's "Fun Ships" ten times or more, the new "Carnival Concierge Club" includes:

• Priority embarkation and debarkation
  • Priority tender boarding
  • Complimentary wash and fold laundry service
  • Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations
  • Spa Carnival priority reservations and complimentary treatment upgrade
  • Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin one evening
  • Personalized stationery
  • A special Carnival logo item
  • Waiving of $20 entry fee for onboard blackjack tournament
  • Special luggage tags that prove you're not just some average Joe

LOL! They could make way more money by charging each person $1.00. And nobody would know the difference.

ah, but they already started that on 12.01.11 under the guise of tips. and the cheerleaders say on the tip threads that it's "only a buck", but that's almost 700,000 a week for ccl.

Not really why this program is so surprising to folks, especially the people who sail often and have been sailing with carnival for many years ( plat and diamonds).

We have seen and experienced a company from a startup to world dominance. During this trek, we have seen many trials, turns and corrections. I think the highpoint ( for me) was probably in 2003 – 2004 .

The last 5 or six years we have seen a consistent change , some may see it as cutback , some may see it as a way to keep fares low , some may see it as a greed or the way new management is directing the go forward strategy.

I have always subscribed to the wish they would have kept it like 2003 and charged more.. but its obvious that they have concentrated on selling low fares and selling more products and services.

There biz model has been pretty consistent ( and successful) .

For the veteran cruises , I would assume most don’t buy those product and services like the newer cruisers. Well its caught up. They now have the ability to correlate who sails, how much they spend and they will go after that market. Customer loyalty certainly is important , but attracting the right customer( for the biz model) and keep them is more important that keeping all customers.

I think its harsh , but it is what it is.. the new program launched a month or so ago was a hint ans so is the new pay for perks trial going on..

It’s the wave of the future for carnival and they have been pretty consistent.

I do see more pay for services coming down the pike.. and for some it’s a good thing.

The great thing there is many choices, and being a free market industry if there is truly many people who would sail “ like the old way , like the diskerson years”” and profits to be made , some line will do it!

Let us know how it works. I am platinum with Carnival but not loyal in any way lol. We cruise other lines also. We just happened to get platinum by the itineraries I chose, not because I planned it :)

I didn't plan on becoming Platinum either. I was well past 10 cruises when it started. However, my daughter has been planning on it. she will become Platinum on our cruise in September.

Not really why this program is so surprising to folks, especially the people who sail often and have been sailing with carnival for many years ( plat and diamonds).

We have seen and experienced a company from a startup to world dominance. During this trek, we have seen many trials, turns and corrections. I think the highpoint ( for me) was probably in 2003 – 2004 .

The last 5 or six years we have seen a consistent change , some may see it as cutback , some may see it as a way to keep fares low , some may see it as a greed or the way new management is directing the go forward strategy.

I have always subscribed to the wish they would have kept it like 2003 and charged more.. but its obvious that they have concentrated on selling low fares and selling more products and services.

There biz model has been pretty consistent ( and successful) .

For the veteran cruises , I would assume most don’t buy those product and services like the newer cruisers. Well its caught up. They now have the ability to correlate who sails, how much they spend and they will go after that market. Customer loyalty certainly is important , but attracting the right customer( for the biz model) and keep them is more important that keeping all customers.

I think its harsh , but it is what it is.. the new program launched a month or so ago was a hint ans so is the new pay for perks trial going on..

It’s the wave of the future for carnival and they have been pretty consistent.

I do see more pay for services coming down the pike.. and for some it’s a good thing.

The great thing there is many choices, and being a free market industry if there is truly many people who would sail “ like the old way , like the diskerson years”” and profits to be made , some line will do it!

You know what? They didnt have to change their loyalty program or sell it to others... Their ships ALWAYS SAIL FULL... and that is because they always had a good product to offer... there really was no need to make the changes they have made that are changing the whole Carnival experience...

I disagree

Carnival's New Loyalty Program: You Take Care of Us, We Take Care of You

Sailed with Carnival Cruises Lines (tel. 800/327-9501; www.carnival.com) ten or more times? If so, you're now eligible for the perks of its new Carnival Concierge Club, which rewards loyal customers with various incentives to keep you coming back.

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality," said Carnival president and CEO Bob Dickinson in announcing the program. "The new 'Carnival Concierge Club' is just one more way of showing our appreciation to our loyal past guests."

Available exclusively to "Platinum" cardholders who have sailed aboard Carnival's "Fun Ships" ten times or more, the new "Carnival Concierge Club" includes:

• Priority embarkation and debarkation
  • Priority tender boarding
  • Complimentary wash and fold laundry service
  • Guaranteed dining times and supper club reservations
  • Spa Carnival priority reservations and complimentary treatment upgrade
  • Petit fours and/or canapés delivered to cabin one evening
  • Personalized stationery
  • A special Carnival logo item
  • Waiving of $20 entry fee for onboard blackjack tournament
  • Special luggage tags that prove you're not just some average Joe

Where is Bob Dickinson today?

You know what? They didnt have to change their loyalty program or sell it to others... Their ships ALWAYS SAIL FULL... and that is because they always had a good product to offer... there really was no need to make the changes they have made that are changing the whole Carnival experience...

Like you, we were well past ten cruises when Carnival launched their loyalty program. And like you, I never thought they really needed one, as my value barometer always thought Carnival offered a better experience and better quality, and more, for a much better price.

I forget how it happened, but Bob D. Asked me to report back what I thought of the program when I sailed the Miracle in '04. Long story short, I got a mea culpa afterwards, as the program wasn't launched on that ship yet.

When I next sailed CCL the following year, I LOVE LOVE LOVED the VIP embarkation and debarkation.

The following year I explored the other perks, and found they were basically garbage, except for the VIP on and off.

But the fact that they're toying with their loyalty program tells me something's up. They must need it more than they have in the past. As well as cash.

I think when all is said and done, we will find out the true reason why Carnival is so desperately trying to raise money by offering such an odd program that is sure to disrespect it's current frequent cruisers.

Stay tuned

I disagree

When I first started cruising there was none of this. When they came out with the Concierge club they made me platinum. So Carnival is the one that started this with all the loyalty perks.

I googled this

Ok, so they gave you some nice things. They still do. That does not mean you are entitled to those things. NO! They were a gift. When you buy a family member a nice gift for Christmas do they inform you that you darn well better spend just as much on their gift next Christmas because you OWE it to them????

In todays economy ANY company MUST work hard to keep costs and revenues in balance. Each company chooses how best to accomplish this. Do they increase prices? Do they change lots of formerly free items to charged items? Do they think of new charged items? Do they decrease some of the freebies in order to keep from raising the prices for everyone?

The major cruise lines have each had to do things to maintain this balance. All of them have had to do all of these things to some degree or another. Thankfully they have not ALL chosen the same mix of cost saving measures to accomplish this balancing. (Thus giving each individual the choice of what is most important to them). Some of them have raised prices. Yes, you can get special deals but for the most part Princess, Celebrity, and Hal are usually going to cost you more for your ticket. NCL will have a lot more things for sale that are not included in your cruise ticket. RCCL has done a mix of these and literally told me that they only had 200 songs in their Karaoke song list because they couldn't afford the Karaoke Royalties to offer more? (costs a few pennies per song per year!). Carnival has added a few more bars (to sale more booze), increased the price of their BV alcohol (and become stricter on smuggling booze), Decreased their loyally program offerings, and now are selling 2nd class VIP privileges for a price.

Yes, it is different than it used to be! Its different EVERYWHERE in the world than it used to be. As for me, I am grateful that Carnival chose the mix of cost saving measures that did not get rid of the things that are especially important to me and kept the cost down to a price I can afford. If you prefer the method another cruise line has chosen to lower costs or raise revenue then you should go cruise with them.

BOTTOMLINE: No matter how much we complain, moan, or quote the past the balance between expenses and revenues must be maintained. So far I personally admire the methods Carnival has chosen to bring these two into balance. If another cruise line offers me a better mix I'll go try them out.

I am curious.....Knowing that the Expenses and the Revenues must balance (unless you work in the US Budget office), what type of cost saving or income generating measures would YOU employ to achieve that balance?

Wow! Imagine if a poster here called non-Platinums "some average Joe!"

Maggie

(who is just a lowly Gold)

Being called an average Joe was not considered an insult in the past. America was founded on the principle that ANYONE could go from being an "average Joe" to being a millionaire. Now being called an average Joe is an insult and being a millionaire is a crime. It didn't used to be an insult to be called an average Joe OR to be a Millionaire. They were just 2 points on a continuum that ranged from "skid row bum" to "Multi-millionaire". A continuum that anyone could travel up and down depending on their intelligence, luck, and hard work. Many were even proud of being an "average Joe" as is seen by many beloved Frank Capra movies.

Being called an average Joe was not considered an insult in the past. America was founded on the principle that ANYONE could go from being an "average Joe" to being a millionaire. Now being called an average Joe is an insult and being a millionaire is a crime. It didn't used to be an insult to be called an average Joe OR to be a Millionaire. They were just 2 points on a continuum that ranged from "skid row bum" to "Multi-millionaire". A continuum that anyone could travel up and down depending on their intelligence, luck, and hard work. Many were even proud of being an "average Joe" as is seen by many beloved Frank Capra movies.

I agree. But it seems lately here on CC, the platinums are called "elitists" and it just struck me as funny that Carnival said that. I was imagining the outcry if a platinum had said that.

Maggie

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality," said Carnival president and CEO Bob Dickinson

Sigh .... those were the days.

I so Agree

He retired in 07 and the CFO Cahill took over :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_duck viewpost.gif

"Carnival is committed to the highest standards of guest service and hospitality," said Carnival president and CEO Bob Dickinson

Sigh .... those were the days.

I so Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzn buckeye viewpost.gif

He retired in 07 and the CFO Cahill took over :rolleyes:

Even in "those days" the "highest level of guest service and hospitality" were preceded by a silent "Within the limits of budget". As I said in my earlier post. Within those limits I still prefer CCL. When I no longer prefer them. I'll cruise with someone else. I would question how much a Carnival Cruise would cost today if EVERYTHING else had remained the same. Probably a lot more than I or most "average Joes" could afford.

Actually you guys seem to be nystalgic for the "old carnival" but I actually was not too impressed with my first Carnival cruise in 1999. By the time I tried them again in 2007 they were much improved and with the advent of increased Karaoke, the comedy club etc... they have improved even more. They may have cut back the expendatures in some areas but the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff have increased, and I at least like the entertainment more (I understand some disagree here).

On every Carnival cruise I have received a survey that asked what is MOST important to me and giving a list of things: Price, Value, amenities, etc... I think they listened. The last Carnival cruise I took, I received a survey online that asked a question that I don't think I have ever been asked by a cruise line. They asked if the staff were friendly and made me feel welcome. Oddly for the first time, on that particular cruise the staff had seemed to go out of their way to be friendly and call me by name. I suspect Carnival has been working with their staff to make this a priority. I guess they have rightly found that friendliness is very valuable and costs nothing!

Ok, so they gave you some nice things. They still do. That does not mean you are entitled to those things. NO! They were a gift.

Carnival is the one that bestowed the perks and yes entitled us by definition

But that gift was given because Carnival appreciatted our Loyalty and choice of cruising Carnival. Now anyone can buy it for 49.95. It sort of cheapens the affect.

I stopped being Loyal to Carnival 4 years ago because I noticed changes I didnt like as soon as Uncle Bob retired. Im stil going to cruise with CCl but not 3 times a year like we use to.

Wow! Imagine if a poster here called non-Platinums "some average Joe!"

Maggie

(who is just a lowly Gold)

I agree. But it seems lately here on CC, the platinums are called "elitists" and it just struck me as funny that Carnival said that. I was imagining the outcry if a platinum had said that.

Maggie

I agree and Im just an average JON:D

I guess they have rightly found that friendliness is very valuable and costs nothing!

Any successful business know this, this certainly didn't originate with Carnival. Back in our earlier days of cruising the staff was much more attentive in the halls and in the dining areas. Servers would help cut up food for the kids, they would even perform card tricks or magic at the table. Now with the cutbacks of help they barely have time to get food to the table while still warm.

Unless you have a cruise history that goes back 15-20 years you really don't have a clue how much things have changed.

Maggie

Let me be the first.:D

Many of the Platinum and Diamond that post on CC come off as very much "elitists". For example, they see two Platinum guest in a cabin on a 7 night cruise getting only 6 free bags of laundry an erosion on benefits. IMHO that's pretty "elitists".

I am Platinum and see no problem with the new program pending the outcome of the test. Seems like I'm getting two new perks at no additional cost.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
Of course it was and is. The stewards have been making up the Platinum cabins first for years. You didn't know that? Guess who's laughing now. :D

Seems Mr. Heald disagrees with you and is not happy about this:

https://www.*****/********************/#!/JohnHeald/posts/433247560051144

John Heald

... am sorry if I missed this bit, it was a whirlwind of questions and I must have missed yours for which I am sorry. The official rule has been and still is that nobody, diamond or otherwise is suposed to go to their state room until

the time on the letter that is given at embarkation or until an announcement is made. The fact that some ignore this is cheeky and not what they are suposed to do. In fact, I spoke to the Housekepping Manager about this moments ago as I read your question and he said that in his experience that most guests adhere to the rules and wait until the time stated.

they were much improved and with the advent of increased Karaoke,

!

They can do away with Karaoke for all Im concerned I think it lowers the cruise experience:p Im JK

Actually Im one that doesnt like Karaoke as Ive seen too many drunks on all cruiselines try to sing. For every one good 10 are bad

But each to there own

The last time on the Triumph they actually had moved it out of the lounge and had them doing it on the promenade next to the casino so everyone walking by had to walk between them. I felt bad for them but also that it was bad on CCLs part

Any successful business know this, this certainly didn't originate with Carnival. Back in our earlier days of cruising the staff was much more attentive in the halls and in the dining areas. Servers would help cut up food for the kids, they would even perform card tricks or magic at the table. Now with the cutbacks of help they barely have time to get food to the table while still warm.

Unless you have a cruise history that goes back 15-20 years you really don't have a clue how much things have changed.

But I have been on 4 different cruise lines and have cruised 18 times starting with my first cruise in 1999 (13 years ago!) and NO ONE on ANY of the cruise lines was more attentive or did more at the MDR table than they do now. I'm not a child so I really don't know if they cut their steak. I do know that they still remove the lobster from the shell for you because they did so (for both lobsters I ordered!!) on my cruise in May. Really the main difference I see is that they formerly had 4 different forks and 3 different glasses at each place setting before the meal began and they now dispense the utensils needed with each course. Probably bacause the passengers they were trying to attract did not know which fork to use for which course. :rolleyes:

The first cruise I took on Carnival the staff were VERY NON-HELPFUL. We spent the first 2-3 days of the 4 day cruise lost all the time because the standard answer to any question by the staff in the halls was to shrug their shoulders and say "I don't know" or worse to point in the wrong direction! :eek:

I suspect some of you are viewing the past through rose colored specticles and thus elevating it in your minds to a superior quality that it lacked.

They can do away with Karaoke for all Im concerned I think it lowers the cruise experience:p Im JK

Actually Im one that doesn't like Karaoke as Ive seen too many drunks on all cruiselines try to sing. For every one good 10 are bad

But each to there own

The last time on the Triumph they actually had moved it out of the lounge and had them doing it on the promenade next to the casino so everyone walking by had to walk between them. I felt bad for them but also that it was bad on CCLs part

I really love the afternoon Karaoke as it affords children a chance to participate but I agree that it is held in a location the is less than Ideal. It is too smoky and is a major path through the ship (thus the walking between the singer and the audience). Be nice if they held afternoon Karaoke in a lounge where families with children could really enjoy it.

Archived