Charelston Terminal

michellejed

Never sailed out of Miami.

Charleston is rather different than any others I have sailed from, though.

Since it isn't a major cruiseline port, the facilities are minimal. I haven't parked there, either. I drive down, stay at a hotel with cruise parking, and get a shuttle to the port.

Check the last page or two of this thread...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628998&page=12

for lots of good info about sailing from Charleston. I love Charleston!

Before I sailed in May 2010, there was a great thread that had pics of the actual luggage drop-off area and an arial map. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Basically, you drive up (or arrive in a taxi/shuttle) after showing your docs, and pull under a tent. You offload your luggage there. Then you go park, if doing so. If not, you then walk over to a gate (where you have to show your docs again), and then board a shuttle that takes you about 1/10 mile around to the front of the terminal.

Terminal is very small, and they can regulate the pax flow this way.

Through the scanners, then spin off into VIP line (if applicable :D ) or to the other check-in counter, and right onboard. At least that's how it worked for me.

Hope this works...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=154697&d=1272665436

In the photo, all the way to the right, is the tent where you offload your luggage. The parking area is farther to the right out of the pic.

You then go through the gate and wait where the red star is circled and are shuttled along the red arrows.

Apparently you have to be shuttled back to the parking. For us, we had to walk along the left red line back out to the main street (the horizontal red line at the top to get our shuttle back to the hotel.

Like I said, not the greatest of port terminals, but it suffices.

If you only have 1 suitcase, are you able to just carry it on board at embarkation instead of dropping it with the porters? Also, can you carry it off at debarkation too? This could be done at Baltimore, and I was just wondering if it was the same at other ports too?

The quantity doesn't matter, but the size does. The carry-on luggage has to go through the security scanners, just like at the airport.

So even if you only have one case, if it's a monster, you cannot carry it on. You'll have to check it. You may be better off with two small bags than one large.

From Carnival's FAQ...

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

When I sailed to Bermuda from Norfolk last October as a solo, for some reason, I decided to just carry everything on using a 22" rolling case, a medium rolling duffle bag, and an over-the-shoulder carry-on.

By the time I got to check in, I was thinking "what was I thinking!?!?!?" :p

Yes, they actually encourage people to do self-disembark, since the terminal is so small. I don't remember what time it was, or even where we gathered (I'm platinum, so may have had a special location to meet). We just walked right out, then down that long driveway (on the left side of the picture) to the street, which is where the shuttles pick up. They don't pick up in front of the terminal, because the cruiseline shuttles are going around and around that loop.

• 2 weeks later...

We found this port to be very easy to find and very well run. We were able to drop off our luggage at 10 am. We drove through, dropped the luggage, and then they told us that we could come back to park and board at 11 am.

We went to Battery Park and waited for 11. I wish we had gotten there a little sooner, because the car line was fairly long by the time we got there. We lined up and paid for parking at the tent, and were easily directed into the warehouse to park. You want to remember the color they give you, because that shows where you parked.

After the cruise, we did self disembark. It went so smoothly. They have shuttles to parking with little trailers to put all the luggage into. They drop you literally right there at parking, tell you where each lot is, unload the luggage, and you are off. It is very easy. We were the last group to self disembark, so the lot was almost empty. We drove out of the lot with no traffic. It runs very smoothly.

• 1 month later...
We found this port to be very easy to find and very well run. We were able to drop off our luggage at 10 am. We drove through, dropped the luggage, and then they told us that we could come back to park and board at 11 am.

We went to Battery Park and waited for 11. I wish we had gotten there a little sooner, because the car line was fairly long by the time we got there. We lined up and paid for parking at the tent, and were easily directed into the warehouse to park. You want to remember the color they give you, because that shows where you parked.

After the cruise, we did self disembark. It went so smoothly. They have shuttles to parking with little trailers to put all the luggage into. They drop you literally right there at parking, tell you where each lot is, unload the luggage, and you are off. It is very easy. We were the last group to self disembark, so the lot was almost empty. We drove out of the lot with no traffic. It runs very smoothly.

Were there any luggage carts to use in the parking area? I understand that there is help to get your luggage from the pick up area to the shuttle, but what about after you get off the shuttle? We packed heavy for this trip and I don't think I can pull all of my bags on my own. Could we leave the bags where the shuttle drops them off and bring our vehicle to the bags?

Any help is much appreciated!

The quantity doesn't matter, but the size does. The carry-on luggage has to go through the security scanners, just like at the airport.

So even if you only have one case, if it's a monster, you cannot carry it on. You'll have to check it. You may be better off with two small bags than one large.

From Carnival's FAQ...

In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions). This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags.

When I sailed to Bermuda from Norfolk last October as a solo, for some reason, I decided to just carry everything on using a 22" rolling case, a medium rolling duffle bag, and an over-the-shoulder carry-on.

By the time I got to check in, I was thinking "what was I thinking!?!?!?" :p

Yes, they actually encourage people to do self-disembark, since the terminal is so small. I don't remember what time it was, or even where we gathered (I'm platinum, so may have had a special location to meet). We just walked right out, then down that long driveway (on the left side of the picture) to the street, which is where the shuttles pick up. They don't pick up in front of the terminal, because the cruiseline shuttles are going around and around that loop.

Hi ya NCTribeFan! Do you think there will be luggage carts/porters available to help get luggage to where taxis are waiting?

Archived