Handicap room

EKELLEY

A friend of mine is trying to book a handicap room & is told that a handicap room is 900.00 more than a regular room. Has anyone ever been told this?

Eileen

There is NO extra charge for a handicap room! Perhaps the one available that was being quoted was in a higher category that the regular one it was compared to. A doctor's note will need to be supplied to Celebrity.

I was in a handicap room on the Millie 3/6 and even though the room was half again as big as the regular cabins in that category, I paid the same as anyone else. Had a large roll in shower and lots of room between bed and desk, tv, etc. Would have worked well for a wheelchair bound person.

I always use a ta who is cruise knowledgeable. These are the kind of thing you get into using the cruise line reservation system with minimum wage employees. IMO.

When my friends booked the cruise there were no handicapped rooms avaliable but they booked anyway. The person in the scooter has gotten worse and they were going to cancel the cruise but their TA told them a handicap room was avaliable but the price had gone up 900.00. They are moving from cat 6 to cat 6 so no cat diff. I looked online at my TA's website & they are 1200.00 cheaper then my firends original price, so I am going to call them & see what I can do. Their cruise is not until 10/31/2005 so they can cancel w/o penalty.

Eileen

I guess I'm not getting what you're saying about this issue. Is the price offered by your TA cheaper than what Celebrity is offering for a Cat 6? If that's the case, then your TA is giving a discount of $1200 for the Cat 6 room, and it's not part of anything X is offering. It's not unusual for X to raise their prices once the sail date gets closer, so if they in effect change rooms, even if it's a lateral move, and if the prices for that cruise have gone up, they might charge them the increased price. See what X is charging for their other Cat 6 rooms and if it's the same, and all those Cat 6 rooms have a price increase, then there's not much you can do, but pay the increase. But, if X is charging a premium for the HC room, then you have a case for a discrimination complaint, because they cannot charge more for an HC room in the same category as an non-HC room.

When my friends booked the cruise there were no handicapped rooms avaliable but they booked anyway. The person in the scooter has gotten worse and they were going to cancel the cruise but their TA told them a handicap room was avaliable but the price had gone up 900.00. They are moving from cat 6 to cat 6 so no cat diff. I looked online at my TA's website & they are 1200.00 cheaper then my firends original price, so I am going to call them & see what I can do. Their cruise is not until 10/31/2005 so they can cancel w/o penalty.

Eileen

There is definitely something wrong with this picture! :confused: There should be no change in fare for a lateral move to a different room. The $1200 cheaper fare might be a group rate that your online TA has or it might be a special for new bookings only--in any case, your friends should not have to pay more for an accessible room. Had they waitlisted for an accessible room when they originally booked? That is what the TA should have done for them at the outset.

Be a good friend and get these folks some "professional" TA help! :)

Archived