Epic playing second fiddle to Breakaway?

Cloudyrain

We have booked the Epic for a West Med cruise in June 2013 and am sooo excited for my first cruise on this amazing ship.

I just thought I would check out the Breakaway/Getaway news (already thinking about the second cruise before I have even had the first!) and it seems they Breakaway is "stealing" Second City, Slam Allen, and Howl at the Moon! :(

It's not that we booked the Epic because of the entertainment, but we were very much looking forward to these 3 acts! NCL have also changed the itinerary (swapped Monte Carlo for Palma). It just makes me worry that all the good staff will get moved too, and that the Epic will become a different ship from what I have been looking forward too!

Can any experienced cruisers reassure me? Does this kind of thing happen often? Cruising is like learning about a whole new culture, and I thought I was doing so well with my learning, and now I just feel stupid and confused! :eek:

X

Entertainers move from ship to ship and even across different fleets. Your experience should be a good one whatever. Second City has troupes on many different ships and Howl at the Moon will almost certainly be on the Epic as well as the new ones.

The titles of shows are not exclusive, just like the restaurants. These performers will move around as well and, if they're not on your sailing, they could well be on the next one!

We have booked the Epic for a West Med cruise in June 2013 and am sooo excited for my first cruise on this amazing ship.

I just thought I would check out the Breakaway/Getaway news (already thinking about the second cruise before I have even had the first!) and it seems they Breakaway is "stealing" Second City, Slam Allen, and Howl at the Moon! :(

It's not that we booked the Epic because of the entertainment, but we were very much looking forward to these 3 acts! NCL have also changed the itinerary (swapped Monte Carlo for Palma). It just makes me worry that all the good staff will get moved too, and that the Epic will become a different ship from what I have been looking forward too!

Can any experienced cruisers reassure me? Does this kind of thing happen often? Cruising is like learning about a whole new culture, and I thought I was doing so well with my learning, and now I just feel stupid and confused! :eek:

X

Second City is on all the NCL ships, except I think those that are in Europe. I think I remember reading something a while back that second city humor was not well received by the European customers. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Howl and the Moon, is supposed to be on Epic and Breakaway. This is kinda like Blue Man, Cirque, where there are many talented people hired by these "Titled" shows. They have performers for each of the ships, or Cities that these acts perform in.

Now, I must admit, that in my 2 cruises on Epic, I missed Slam Allen. I did read recently in someones reviews, that he was quite negative to the audience, so maybe it is time that he does move on to another ship. I hope I do get to see him though on my next sailing. Who knows, he may have been negative because audience members were rude. We weren't there, so really won't know.

I agree with Guindalf with the movement of the entertainment staff, productions etc.

But what comes to the original title of this thread, it's bullseye in my opinion. :D In the past with Dawn and Jewel class the mistakes and shortcomings with the first design were corrected to the later one and I think that the same goes with Epic and Breakaway.

There are some things that weren't that good design choices with Epic so they are fixing things for Breakaway and Getaway. It doesn't make Epic any worse, the newer designs just probably will be a bit better. :)

Breakaway and Getaway will become the flag ships of NCL fleet purely because they take the already great Epic and fix all the problems that customers have seen whether its sea views or bathrooms! But each will have a unique ents to encourage you to move around the fleet. Epic will be the Legends and Blue Man ship, breakaway the musical. The howl, jazz band and comedy are the staples. Who knows the replacement Slam band might be even better!

Phew! That makes sense, I never really thought that there were loads of performers under one brand name. Silly really as a friend of mine was in Legends performing in european cities, I just assumed that they had decided to move to the Epic to get better accommodation after she left :D!

I understand that they will iron out the kinks of the Epic on the new ships. I suppose its like getting a 2 year old Mercedes, just because it's had previous owners doesn't make it any less of a car!

Don't worry, it doesn't detract from my excitement!

With regards to Second City, I never understand this American/European humour clash, I think Seinfeld is one of the best programmes ever made, but hardly anyone in England ever watched it, though I suppose the League of Gentleman didn't go down well on BBC America!

Thank you for your help everyone, I feel very daft now though :D

Stealing entertainment from Epic? I dont see it that way. They are copying entertainment from Epic which is a big compliment to Epic.

But that is one downside to Breakaway (for me). There is little original entertainment on that ship. It seems they are just copying what has worked on Epic... Cirque Dreams tent, second city, blues club, O'Sheehans Pub, etc

Archived