Need help leaving Sat! So confused about onboard credit (Gem)

krisbenny0526

I thought I was all set and had all of my info correct until my sister in law asked me about what I planned to spend for on board credit. (You will be able to see that I havent cruised since i was 21!) Thats a while ago lol!

I do not understand the whole cash thing (I have no credit card just debit card). This trip was a gift to me and my family so I saved as much as I could before we leave, but now Im reading about $100 pp a day for the onboard account. Do they require everyone to have one? Im going with my boyfriend and my two children. I really will not be spending much money except for photos and whatever else I decide on. But my question is....out of the four of us can we just have one onboard credit account? There is no possible way I will be spending $100 a day on the ship. I have excursions set already and I have spending money for when we are off of the boat, but this whole onboard credit thing is getting me nervous since I am on a budget. Also, do they require the minimum to stay at $100 a day even if I use less. If my balance the next day is say $50 can I use that credit or do I have to put $50 more on it to be activated again. Im so lost please help me we leave Saturday and I feel so behind now when I thought I was all set!!!

I thought I was all set and had all of my info correct until my sister in law asked me about what I planned to spend for on board credit. (You will be able to see that I havent cruised since i was 21!) Thats a while ago lol!

I do not understand the whole cash thing (I have no credit card just debit card). This trip was a gift to me and my family so I saved as much as I could before we leave, but now Im reading about $100 pp a day for the onboard account. Do they require everyone to have one? Im going with my boyfriend and my two children. I really will not be spending much money except for photos and whatever else I decide on. But my question is....out of the four of us can we just have one onboard credit account? There is no possible way I will be spending $100 a day on the ship. I have excursions set already and I have spending money for when we are off of the boat, but this whole onboard credit thing is getting me nervous since I am on a budget. Also, do they require the minimum to stay at $100 a day even if I use less. If my balance the next day is say $50 can I use that credit or do I have to put $50 more on it to be activated again. Im so lost please help me we leave Saturday and I feel so behind now when I thought I was all set!!!

Are you aware of the $12 per person/per day Daily Service Charge? You will be charged the $12 each per day unless you have prepaid it. That is about the only charge that will be constant. The rest will be what you choose to spend extra on. For the 4 of you the Daily Service Charge will cost $336 total for the 7 day cruise.

If at all possible DO NOT USE your DEBIT card. Depending on your bank, your money may be tied up with "holds" that do not take the money out of you account but freeze it so you can not use it.

I think you've gotten some very incorrect advice. Onboard credit is when you get a promotion from the cruise that basically gives you some "free" money. You will only be responsible to pay for what you charge to your account - drinks, specialty restaurants, photos, excursions, etc - so it is your responsibility to budget however you need. If you're all staying in one room you can of course all charge it to the same account. When the cruise is over you will be expected to pay for everything you bought, as well as a $12 per person, per day service charge which is like a tip for all the crew that provides services.

Word of warning - it isn't a great idea to pay for your ship account with a debit card. Apparently they can put a hold on your account and make things difficult for you. You're better off taking cash out of the ATM and paying for your expenses in cash.

Stop stressing and enjoy your trip!!

I have not used cash but you should be able to put say $300 on your account and then if it gets close to being all used they will require you to put more money in the account. I know you can have all 4 people on the same credit card so I would think cash would work the same way. Having the DSC paid already should help not being required to put so much in the account......whatever you do...do not put any of the money you plan to use off the ship on your onboard account....you can not get any money out of it once it's in there until the last night.(I think you can then).

I think you've gotten some very incorrect advice. Onboard credit is when you get a promotion from the cruise that basically gives you some "free" money. You will only be responsible to pay for what you charge to your account - drinks' date=' specialty restaurants, photos, excursions, etc - so it is your responsibility to budget however you need. If you're all staying in one room you can of course all charge it to the same account. When the cruise is over you will be expected to pay for everything you bought, as well as a $12 per person, per day service charge which is like a tip for all the crew that provides services.

Word of warning - it isn't a great idea to pay for your ship account with a debit card. Apparently they can put a hold on your account and make things difficult for you. You're better off taking cash out of the ATM and paying for your expenses in cash.

Stop stressing and enjoy your trip!![/quote']

Okay thank you. I was picturing myself getting on the ship and being asked for $400 in cash just to start the trip! I'll stop stressing now and Im ready to go enjoy lol! :) Thanks again!

I have not used cash but you should be able to put say $300 on your account and then if it gets close to being all used they will require you to put more money in the account. I know you can have all 4 people on the same credit card so I would think cash would work the same way. Having the DSC paid already should help not being required to put so much in the account......whatever you do...do not put any of the money you plan to use off the ship on your onboard account....you can not get any money out of it once it's in there until the last night.(I think you can then).

Thank you and yes that was my concern. I definitely want a good amount of money on hand not held up in any account during the trip.

I think you've gotten some very incorrect advice. Onboard credit is when you get a promotion from the cruise that basically gives you some "free" money. You will only be responsible to pay for what you charge to your account - drinks' date=' specialty restaurants, photos, excursions, etc - so it is your responsibility to budget however you need. If you're all staying in one room you can of course all charge it to the same account. When the cruise is over you will be expected to pay for everything you bought, as well as a $12 per person, per day service charge which is like a tip for all the crew that provides services.

Stop stressing and enjoy your trip!![/quote']

I'm not so sure she got bad advice - I think she is just mis-stating and calling her onboard account her onboard credit since that is spoken of much more on CC than the account.

I'm not so sure she got bad advice - I think she is just mis-stating and calling her onboard account her onboard credit since that is spoken of much more on CC than the account.

Yes Im sorry it was my mistake to assume she meant the same thing. Once she asked I was concerned so its my fault. But I did mean the account not credit. My apologies.

Depending on the ages of your children, you may want to have their cards have no charging allowed on them or they could run up a large bill in the arcade without your knowledge.

LOL imagine that surprise! I will make sure that wont happen! Thanks!

since your DSC of $12pp/day is already taken care, all you really need then is your on board expenses.

May I suggest you bring cash and deposit in your account about $700-$1000 which is about $100/day and your account will be put on hold (ie you and your group will not be able to use your Cabin cards for any charges/purchases) once the deposited funds are depleted.

You can also monitor you account from the TV in your cabin and top up your account whenever if you so wish.

Good luck and have fun!

Gotcha... although the original post also implied that she understood she was "expected" to spend $100+ per day, which isn't true at all. Other than the DSC I imagine someone could go on a cruise without putting ANYTHING on their shipboard account.

Good tip about putting a hold on the kids cards. My kiddos are too young to know to use theirs, but I would definitely worry about school-aged kids!

If anyone in your party has a credit card - all of the rooms and people can be put on the same credit card. Then you can keep track of your charges and settle up with the cardholder after the cruise - the bill tells you whose card made the charge. Now having your kids having no charge cards is a good idea- unless you can trust them to keep their spending within limits. I have seen teens onboard charging rounds of sodas for their new found friends.

Do a search on DEBIT and you will find lots of stories about debit cards and the holds that take place.

If you do not have access to a credit card, then do cash. Though they have suggestions, you can put down way less.

(by the way, photos can set you back a pretty penny)

We did a 7 night cruise on the Star and had pre-purchased $1200 in OBC for our shore excursions, photos & a couple of drinks. They still wanted either a credit card or $1000 at check-in to even open the Sail & Sign account (and that was for 2). With 4 of you, I would think they are going to want at least that much.

And you do not get cash at the end of the cruise (if you have anything left) a check is mailed to your home address on record.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

We sailed on the Sun 1/12 and we just told them at check in that we would be using cash. They seemed fine with it. We started our account with $300 for 3 of us and they were fine with that too. We had prepaid our services charges. We kept a close eye on our account and added as needed.

We just did the Gem on 7/28. Before we gave them cash and a credit card as a backup, we asked if there was a minimum. She said they recommend 300, but it is not required....we went beyond that with shopping and DSC and drinks but if you already have DSC paid you could literally not spend a penny!

HAPPY SAILING!

PS. Don't forget to bring small bills to tip the porters that take your bags at the curb :)

You can also monitor you account from the TV in your cabin and top up your account whenever if you so wish.

AFAIK the onboard account can be viewed through the cabin TV only on Epic, not on the older ships.

(Although I have to admit that the Gem is the newest of all the NCL ships older than the Epic and only one in the Jewel class that I haven't cruised yet ;) so I don't know the situation on the Gem for sure.)

AFAIK the onboard account can be viewed through the cabin TV only on Epic, not on the older ships.

(Although I have to admit that the Gem is the newest of all the NCL ships older than the Epic and only one in the Jewel class that I haven't cruised yet ;) so I don't know the situation on the Gem for sure.)

The Gem was the first to have on TV viewing of your account and then the Epic followed suit. We've been on the Gem a few times.:D

Archived