Tour Help?

SWACK

We have been to many Carribean Islands, but not Barbados. We normally like to take a tour of the island with a cab or van, and see the sights.. such as views, forts, museums and such. My current search finds only beach time and snorkeling. Are there any such tours in Barbados...?

Thanks

Because so many cruises start and terminate in Barbados they are extremely efficient and organised at the cruise terminal. Just as you come out of the terminal you will find plenty of taxi drivers, mini van drivers waiting to take people on tours. However, if you want to share with other people they will direct you to the correct vehicle, or you can do the tour just for the two of you.

When we were there earlier this year we wanted to go to Harrison's Caves but couldn't find anyone to share the taxi. We ended up doing an island tour which we had done before, but we still enjoyed it as it was a slightly different route.

The cruise terminal is also within walking distance of Bridgetown, but a taxi is very cheap.

IMHO Barbados is not the prettiest of the Caribbean islands, but it has a really nice atmosphere which is generated by the friendly locals.

• 2 weeks later...
We have been to many Carribean Islands, but not Barbados. We normally like to take a tour of the island with a cab or van, and see the sights.. such as views, forts, museums and such. My current search finds only beach time and snorkeling. Are there any such tours in Barbados...?

Thanks

We had very good experience with Facilitators Unlimited both private and group tours. Check their website for tour description and cost.

"IMHO Barbados is not the prettiest of the Caribbean islands, but it has a really nice atmosphere which is generated by the friendly locals."

Barbados is one of the most densely populated Caribbean islands. We have a 97% literacy rate, the highest in the Caribbean.

Sometimes, if one just visits our west coast and ventures no further, it may seem ‘not the prettiest’ in the Caribbean.

I’ll admit that our “downtown” of Bridgetown may not please all of our visitors.

But, we have four (4) wonderful coasts: All are like different worlds.

If one ventures away from the west coast, they will find exquisite beaches and vistas.

Crane Beach on our East Coast has won many awards including the Conde Naste Best beaches in the world award. Pink sand. Solitude. Azure waters. It is breathtaking.

crane5.jpg

We have the highest visitor return rate of 37% in all of the Caribbean.

Until a few years ago, the Concorde flew here every Saturday from the UK with the likes of Cliff Richard (now has a villa here) and Tony Blair.

Sandy Lane (resort) has (almost) total occupancy all year long with the rooms in the high season above US$6,000/night.

Barbados is a sophisicated, gorgeous island that we love and call home.

JMHO.

"IMHO Barbados is not the prettiest of the Caribbean islands, but it has a really nice atmosphere which is generated by the friendly locals."

Barbados is one of the most densely populated Caribbean islands. We have a 97% literacy rate, the highest in the Caribbean.

Sometimes, if one just visits our west coast and ventures no further, it may seem ‘not the prettiest’ in the Caribbean.

I’ll admit that our “downtown” of Bridgetown may not please all of our visitors.

But, we have four (4) wonderful coasts: All are like different worlds.

If one ventures away from the west coast, they will find exquisite beaches and vistas.

Crane Beach on our East Coast has won many awards including the Conde Naste Best beaches in the world award. Pink sand. Solitude. Azure waters. It is breathtaking.

crane5.jpg

We have the highest visitor return rate of 37% in all of the Caribbean.

Until a few years ago, the Concorde flew here every Saturday from the UK with the likes of Cliff Richard (now has a villa here) and Tony Blair.

Sandy Lane (resort) has (almost) total occupancy all year long with the rooms in the high season above US$6,000/night.

Barbados is a sophisicated, gorgeous island that we love and call home.

JMHO.

It sounds absolutely wonderful! We will be visiting for the first time in March. What would you recommend for a first time visitor to do?

It is wonderful! :D

I always encourage first time visitors to take an organised tour of the island. There is a wealth of tour providers that one can make arrangements with prior to arrival.

But, I think that the best way to see Barbados is with a private taxi tour.

I believe the hourly taxi rate is about US$25/hour for up to four (4) in the cab. So if you could find another couple to tour with you could enjoy a $US$6-7/hr per person fare.

There is really so much to see on the island you could never do it in a day, but I would hit the highlights: Harrison's Cave; St. John's Parish Church; St. Nicholas Abbey; Bathsheba; The Crane; Gun Hill Signal Station........This list is only 1/5th of the attractions....and then you have the beaches, too!

You may have to whittle this down with your driver, but be sure and see at least Harrison's and the east coast (Bathsheba).

Depending on you confidence level, a public bus tour up and down the west coast is just great and cheap, too. I haven't taken it in years, but it used to be US$.75.

My best wishes for a great day and please return to see the rest that the island has to offer. :)

It is wonderful! :D

I always encourage first time visitors to take an organised tour of the island. There is a wealth of tour providers that one can make arrangements with prior to arrival.

But, I think that the best way to see Barbados is with a private taxi tour.

I believe the hourly taxi rate is about US$25/hour for up to four (4) in the cab. So if you could find another couple to tour with you could enjoy a $US$6-7/hr per person fare.

There is really so much to see on the island you could never do it in a day, but I would hit the highlights: Harrison's Cave; St. John's Parish Church; St. Nicholas Abbey; Bathsheba; The Crane; Gun Hill Signal Station........This list is only 1/5th of the attractions....and then you have the beaches, too!

You may have to whittle this down with your driver, but be sure and see at least Harrison's and the east coast (Bathsheba).

Depending on you confidence level, a public bus tour up and down the west coast is just great and cheap, too. I haven't taken it in years, but it used to be US$.75.

My best wishes for a great day and please return to see the rest that the island has to offer. :)

That sounds great! Thanks so much!!!

Would you recommend just heading off the ship and picking up a taxi, or is there someone you recommend ahead of time? We have done this on other islands and loved it!

Thanks again!!!

Unfortunately, the drivers I knew in the old days have since retired.

When you exit the terminal building, there are hordes of taxi drivers waiting for you.

WALK PAST THESE GUYS, THEY ARE CROOKS.

Continue out of the complex through the Gatehouse to the roundabout on Princess Alice Hwy. There you’ll find an assembly of reasonable taxi drivers (read: non-union). Talk among them until you find one that offers the right price for your day adventure (and you like him).

You will pay about ½ of what you would have inside the compound and these drivers are thrilled to put food on the table and please you.

Remember, a car we’d pay US$20,000 in the states is US$45,000 in Barbados and gas is $3.25 a liter!

Best wishes for a grand holiday. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks

Hi read through a couple of the replies and would like to suggest a scenic tour of Barbados where you are picked up at the port by a friendly driver and taken on an island tour stopping at various places of interest, see how the locals live including the green monkeys and of course beach and picture spots. You can either take a planned route or if you have somewhere in mind or want to go or see somewhere in particular then your driver can take you.....and let me add the cost is really reasonable compared to what I read on these message boards that visitors are charged and I live in Barbados!!!!!!! I might I add this driver is very knowledgable I even gained some knowledge from him and I LIVE HERE......so if you are interested just send him an email or give him a call to make your arrangements and enjoy and see Barbados the way it is suppose to

Tyrone Griffith

EMAIL: tiatonagi@yahoo.com

TEL: (246) 233-3168

Barbados

Not only have I been to Barbados a couple of times on a cruise, I have also been there on a longer holiday. I still stick with my opinion that it is not the most scenic of the Caribbean islands.

IMHO Jamaica, Grenada, Dominica and St Lucia are more beautiful.

I think Barbados is a beautiful island. So must 37% of the people that visit and return: the highest return visitor rate in the whole of the Caribbean.

So, about 350,000 return visitors per year must think Barbados has some redeeming qualities, yes?

What is it that you see that they don’t? :confused:

Have you ever ventured out of Bridgetown? :rolleyes:

Just what we want. Where did you go and how much was it?

We think it was $25 per person (cash only). Tour took us all around the island with several short stops for photos. When you get off the ship all of the taxi/jitney drivers will have maps and they can show you the route.

I agree Barbados is a very pretty island. I remember commenting that I would like to return and stay for a week to really enjoy it.

On our first cruise, Barbados made such an impression that we returned for 2 weeks a couple of years later...

It's still one of my favourite caribbean islands. I'd move there in a heartbeat. Love the island, love the people...

Cheers, P:)

Barbados

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I didn't say I didn't like Barbados, I said I didn't think it was quite as pretty as some of the other Caribbean islands I have been to. It is just my personal opinion.

You can quote as many statistics as you like and yes, I know that lots of foreigners, especially Brits have holiday homes there. Yes, I have been out of Bridgetown. In fact a couple of years ago I stayed in Barbados for 9 days when we hired a car and toured all around the island.

When you get off the ship there will be lots of taxi/minivan drivers. We picked one and had a nice tour of the island.

Could you ask the taxi driver to take you anywhere as have looked at all tours and none of them take me to all the places I want. Are they reasonable and can they be hired for the day/hour

• 1 month later...

Hello,

We are going to be there in a month. Can you, please, tell if $25 per person was for the whole tour or per hour rate?

We think it was $25 per person (cash only). Tour took us all around the island with several short stops for photos.

How long was your tour?

Thanks a lot.

• 3 months later...

My wife and I did a tour with Glory Tours a few years back . . . had a great tour and Sarah and the driver were were wonderful.

This time around my wife and I were contemplating hiring a taxi to take us to a few places not on the tour route.

Was wondering if these places are worth it, time spent at each place and what it might cost us?

Wildlife Refuge

Grenade Hall

St. Nicholas Abbey

Sunbury Plantation House

Sir Frank Hutchinson Sugar Museum

• 3 weeks later...
Barbados

Not only have I been to Barbados a couple of times on a cruise, I have also been there on a longer holiday. I still stick with my opinion that it is not the most scenic of the Caribbean islands.

IMHO Jamaica, Grenada, Dominica and St Lucia are more beautiful.

To each their own.... Aside from Dominica, your list ranks as my least favorite Caribbean islands. All three are ugly for the harassment of the locals. In Granada a local told me I will not leave you alone until you give me money. In St. Lucia, after saying no to a vendor, I was told this is why we rob Americans. And Jamaica is well documented on tese boards. So I guess it depends on what your definition of beauty is. For me.... I'll take Barbados.

Archived