NY Pier

Murphey

With the arrival of Jet Blue from PDX starting this week, NY will be very affordable and the schedule is nice. So...we are considering a cruise out of NY for the first time. Can anyone tell me the ins and outs of getting to the Pier from JFK? Thanks (I searched for this, but couldn't find anything, and I know all you people know everything! :) )

Also, because our return flight leaves at 8:00 pm.....what should we do with ourselves on the disembarkation day?

getting to the Pier from Kennedy takes about 45 minutes with no traffic. It can be brutal on days with traffic. There is also a way to take the train but I personally don't recommend it. I personally recommend the blue min-vans(http://www.supershuttle.com). I like these better than the the taxis the taxis are $40.00 fixed rate from Kennedy plus tolls and tips.

http://www.panynj.gov

after wards you can take a cab to penn station(new york) store you luggage there and then tour the City come back get you luggage and have either arranged for a mini-van back or take a cab back to the airport- the cab back to the airport is not a fixed fee its meter plus tolls and tips.

I would think the cruise lines offer a shuttle to the airport. There are trains that can get you there as well. I would think taking a cab would be costly.

Loads to do in NYC. Depends on what you like. Lots of open air bus tours to pick from. They have one that you can hop on & off to see the sites. You could walk up to Broadway & take in a show. Go down the street to South Street Seaport. Do the Statue of Libery or Empire State Building, visit Ground Zero......

Shop, eat....................:)

Thanks for the input..as for the day we get off the ship, we don't know what to do with our luggage. If we go to the airport and check in early, we still have our carry-on to deal with, plus that seems cumbersome. We have no problem exploring on our own (we used to travel there on business). Does JFK have lockers? I know they were all taken out after 9/11 but PDX has installed them again!!??!!

On your disembarkation day, you don't want to go to JFK, put your stuff in lockers (which I don't think they have) and then try to go back to Manhattan to sight see - wasting way too much time (at least two hours).

Someone mentioned Penn Station - that is probably your best bet.

We usually try to avoid the cruise line shuttles as you have to wait around for the bus to fill or wait for all planes to get in.

The train involves lots of schlepping of luggage. Maybe if you only had an overnight case, but we recently parked in the long term parking at JFK and took the airport train which links to various terminals at Kennedy, long term parking and the city subway system and from the Jet Blue terminal it was a bit of a pain with a rolling suitcase each just to get to long term parking, not to mention switching to the city trains and then navigating Manhattan. The $40 cab ride is well worth it, imo.

We haven't sailed into or out of NY on Princess, but they might offer a tour for people who have late flights. I'd normally recommend touring NY on your own, but if Princess offers them, you won't have to deal with the luggage issue and you will be maximizing your time if they visit places you want to see.

I usually weigh convenience vs dollars, so I don't always go for the lowest dollar amount.

In NYC, I usually find that if I'm going at times the cruise line is operating their bus, if there's only one or two people, that's probably the best value, considering convenience and money.

I'm not real big on Super Shuttle. I find their service spotty. Sometimes it works well, but other times, they keep you waiting a long time. The time before last used them I was being picked up at Newark and going to the pier. They told me when I checked in it would be an hour before they picked me up. After an hour I called them again, and they said they would be right there. To make a long story short, it was another hour and a half before they showed up. Last time after a cruise, I was going from a Manhattan hotel to the airport, and I stood on the curb for an hour before they showed up, and then we made six more stops before we actually got underway to the airport. Other times, though, they have been very prompt. So I don't usually use them anymore.

Last time I used Ben's Limo (www.benslimo.com) and found them pretty good. It's truly a limo service, and their rates run about double the taxi rate, all things considered (but it includes the tolls and gratuity). They are there waiting for you, handle your luggage, and its much nicer experience. It turns out to be not that much more than the cruise line's transfer rate.

Alan Wilson

Cruise News Daily

Thank you all kindly for your excellent information......lots to think about! If only I could cruise from Portland!! (Actually we are driving to Vancouver tomorrow to catch the Dawn). We definately think we will either try the Crown out of NY or do a fall foliage cruise...thanks again :D

We have sailed into NYC twice and had bad experiences both times. We must be slow learners because we used the ship transfers to Newark both times. The first time we had to wait for the bus to fill up at the pier, not too bad, but then the bus driver barely got us to the airport. I honestly think he did not read English. We drove around the airport like 4 times before one of the passengers pointed out to him where to stop for the different airlines. Very frustating. The second time there were a number of cruise ships in port and we were coming in from a transatlantic so had customs and immigration to worry about. Our flight was at 4:30 PM and we missed it.:( We were not allowed off the ship until after 1:00 and there was a big crush of passengers trying to get on pitifully few buses. It was a nightmare. The transportation company was very poorly managed. Anyway, we always vowed if we ever sail into NYC again we will stay an extra night after the cruise and take a taxi wherever we want to go.

For those of us not from New York city' date=' where is Red Hook? Also when will Princess start using this dock?[/quote']

Red Hook is in Brooklyn, Just south of the Brooklyn Bridge and the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel. I believe they expect the pier to be ready before the end of this year. Its opposite Governors Island by buttermilk Channel...

North of the Verrazzano's narrow bridge..in what is called the upper harbor...

Archived