Noro outbreak on glory

ChefSusan

Does Cipro work for Norovirus?

No, it will only work on some (not all) bacterial infections. It doesn't work on viruses at all.

Was there an announcement that Norvirus was onboard?

If you look at this review from last week, in post #4 the OP mentions that announcements were made: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1688420

No, it will only work on some (not all) bacterial infections. It doesn't work on viruses at all.

If you look at this review from last week, in post #4 the OP mentions that announcements were made: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1688420

Thanks for the info...

Glad to hear they made announcements.

I think they really should do some sort of education about infection prevention before people board -- there is so much misinformation, even ignorance.

Could they have video education in the boarding area that plays on a loop, like they do in many physician offices? They could even have basic infection prevention and hand hygeine info on stateroom TVs.

As a nurse, the lack of awareness and vigilance everywhere (not just on ships) really alarms me!:eek:

I am at work and a contractor was in and we were talking about cruising. He was on a RC cruise in 2006 in his honeymoon and got sick. He said it was horrible and they were quarantine. He said a lot of children and men were seeking treatment.

I just feel like being extra cautious :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I think they really should do some sort of education about infection prevention before people board -- there is so much misinformation, even ignorance.

Could they have video education in the boarding area that plays on a loop, like they do in many physician offices? They could even have basic infection prevention and hand hygeine info on stateroom TVs.

As a nurse, the lack of awareness and vigilance everywhere (not just on ships) really alarms me!:eek:

Yes but remember some people speak other languages AND some people don't care about facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Was there an announcement that Norvirus was onboard?
They never used the word "Norovirus." Rather, the announcement was that a number of passengers had contracted a gastrointestinal illness and that everyone should take care to wash hands well.

So, what can you bring with you that will halt/stop the symptoms of noro if you do get sick on a ship?

This kind of stuff scares me and I just want to know, besides washing your hands incessantly, what else can cruisers prepare for in case they do get noro on board?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

In my opinion...... all you can bring is drammine and immodium. Maybe some asprin / tylenol.

Drink lots of fluids if you get it. (dehydration is the real worry) Avoid sugary drinks. There isnt a "cure". It just has to run its course.

I got it on the last cruise. I was lucky, I was only down for about half a day.

So, what can you bring with you that will halt/stop the symptoms of noro if you do get sick on a ship?

This kind of stuff scares me and I just want to know, besides washing your hands incessantly, what else can cruisers prepare for in case they do get noro on board?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

From Medicine Net.com:

"What is the treatment for norovirus infections in adults, children, and babies?"

"There is no specific treatment or medication for norovirus. It is important that infected individuals remain well hydrated, drinking plenty of fluids. Fluids containing electrolytes and sugars should be encouraged. Over the counter antidiarrheal medications may be used according to directions but should be avoided in cases with severe abdominal pain or fever. Some researchers advise people to avoid these medications if possible as they may prolong the disease."

Hey if it makes those prone to overreacting and the germaphobes feel better to spend their valuable vacation time re-cleaning their staterooms and dousing themselves in alcohol (hand sanitizers - gee, how did we survive without them?:rolleyes:) then by all means they should do so. I'll be too busy enjoying myself, properly washing my hands and avoiding hand-to-mouth contact. Whoever stated that the germaphobes are more likely to get sick was right on the money.

Hi sorry to hear there is a virus on board - what is the general procedure regarding viruses my soon to be husband and I are sailing 25th august will we still be at risk and should i bring my flash wipes?

Lx

Was a virus on board, not is.

As others have stated, to avoid contracting noro, wash your hands often with soap and hot water and avoid touching hand to mouth.

As a diabetic, I am extremely vulnerable to these types of things. But as someone who works in a hospital, I understand how important proper and frequent hand washing is!

I will take the same type of precautions on the ship, as I would while I'm at work. I do NOT want to get sick on board.

We were on the August 6th to August 11th cruise too.

Let me give you, my own opinion.

On embarkation day, we were up on the Lido deck, just finishing our lunch, and waiting for our cabin to be ready.

A crew member working around the food service area on the Lido deck vomited. emotion-41.gif

No one seemed to care, nor got around to cleaning it up. After a while (10-15 minutes?), another passenger reported such to a "bus boy" in the area. The "bus boy" put a napkin under his shoe, and attempted to clean up the mess. All he really achieved, was to spread the mess around.

A while later, I noticed an Officer walking by. He gave me about 10 seconds to explain why I stopped him, and continued on his way. I had expected someone to come and clean. Nope. I was sitting there for about another 45 minutes, and nothing was done. But by then, the mess was walked thru and spread all over.

IMHO, it could have been handled much better by Carnival. Some thoughts are:

• A sick employee should not be working, let alone in a food service area.
  • Accidents do happen, but there should have been some positive actions taken to contain the situation.
  • After I reported such to an Officer, something should have been definitely done (but wasn't).
  • The food service area should have been closed, and the area sanitized after the crew member got sick.

By Wednesday, the ship finally started to take some actions. They closed the Video Arcade to sanitize it. Those closed all the self-service ice cream machines, and scrubbed them clean. They started to make constant announcements over the PA asking (begging?) passengers to keep washing their hands.

I really think that most, if not all, of this could have been eliminated or reduced if some action was taken by Carnival back on embarkation day.

BTW, for future cruisers worried, just make sure you always wash your hands before eating, and as an extra precaution, make use of the hand sanitizer dispensers available at each food service location.

On embarkation day, we were up on the Lido deck, just finishing our lunch, and waiting for our cabin to be ready.

A crew member working around the food service area on the Lido deck vomited. emotion-41.gif

No one seemed to care, nor got around to cleaning it up. After a while (10-15 minutes?), another passenger reported such to a "bus boy" in the area. The "bus boy" put a napkin under his shoe, and attempted to clean up the mess. All he really achieved, was to spread the mess around.

A while later, I noticed an Officer walking by. He gave me about 10 seconds to explain what happened, and continued on this way. I had expected someone to come and clean. Nope. I was sitting there for about another 45 minutes, and nothing was done. But by then, the mess was walked thru and spread all over.

• * A sick employee should not be working, let alone in a food service area.
  • * Accidents do happen, but there should have been some positive actions taken to contain the situation.
  • * After I reported such to an Officer, something should have been definitely done (but wasn't).
  • * The food service area should have been closed, and the area sanitized after the crew member got sick.

By Wednesday, the ship finally started to take some actions. They closed the Video Arcade to sanitize it. Those closed all the self-service ice cream machines, and scrubbed them clean. They started to make constant announcements over the PA asking (begging?) passengers to keep washing their hands.

I really think that most, if not all, of this could have been eliminated or reduced if some action was taken by Carnival back on embarkation day.

BTW, for future cruisers worried, just make sure you always wash your hands before eating, and as an extra precaution, make use of the hand sanitizer depressors available at each food service location.

i was not on this cruise.

but i once witness a kid throw up directly into the rear pool of the miracle. no one noticed. all while muster was commencing. i informed a staff member and went to muster.

the pool was never closed. nor cleaned.

I can tell you from personal experience that you don't know you have it until you are sick. I caught it from my dad (we rode together to a bball game) who caught it from a co worker (rode in car together).

I went to work not feeling bad (just lightheaded) and within 2 hrs I threw up twice. After second time I realized I better go home. Within the hour I was down. Couldn't move without getting sick.

So it's no ones fault it's onboard. And the crew could have caught it from the previous sailing. SOmeone could have have picked it up in port and gotten sick when home and a crew member would be on the ship sick. Plus so easy to spread when you don't know you are sick!

A while later, I noticed an Officer walking by. He gave me about 10 seconds to explain why I stopped him, and continued on his way. I had expected someone to come and clean. Nope. I was sitting there for about another 45 minutes, and nothing was done. But by then, the mess was walked thru and spread all over.

• A sick employee should not be working, let alone in a food service area.
  • Accidents do happen, but there should have been some positive actions taken to contain the situation.
  • After I reported such to an Officer, something should have been definitely done (but wasn't).
  • The food service area should have been closed, and the area sanitized after the crew member got sick.

BTW, for future cruisers worried, just make sure you always wash your hands before eating, and as an extra precaution, make use of the hand sanitizer dispensers available at each food service location.

Wow! Holy Pandemic, Batman!:o

Finally, some good news. Got a call from Michelle @ Priceline.com about my email concerning our August 6-11 cruise on the Glory. She informed me the trip insurance we bought from her through Travel Guard Insurance will be reimbursing us (kids portion) for the 24 hour quarantine. Filling out a few simple forms and I can expect a check in the mail in 2-6 weeks. Thankfully, I asked for a printout from the nurse who cared for my kids of the records of their treatment on the ship BEFORE I left the ship which showed the "isolation period". 2 things I will always do on future trips: book through Priceline and buy trip insurance.

I work with a facilities team. Warm water with plenty of soap is a surefire way to get the bad stuff.

We were told to sing the happy birthday song to yourself twice while washing your hands with the soap before washing it off.

Just don't sing it out loud......people will think you're crazy.

So it's no ones fault it's onboard. And the crew could have caught it from the previous sailing. SOmeone could have have picked it up in port and gotten sick when home and a crew member would be on the ship sick. Plus so easy to spread when you don't know you are sick!

You are absolutely correct.

My major point was that if Carnival took the situation as seriously on Monday, as it did two days later on Wednesday, IMHO, far fewer passengers would have gotten sick. Not to be redundant, but I feel strongly that Carnival should quickly closed that area of the Lido deck (close that one buffet and have the passengers use the other buffet), and had an "army" clean and sanitize it.

There really needs to be serious rules and protocols to contain such events as quickly as possible, regardless of the source (be it crew or a passenger who vomited in a food area).

This was our first cruise. I saved for eight months, took off a week of work and was hoping for the best vacation ever.

The second evening of the cruise, my cousin got sick, very shortly after dinner. We thought it was food poisoning and did not report anything. By the third evening, my husband was ill. He made it to the bathroom, but it was hours until it was cleaned the next day. On Thursday, my oldest was sick, and we could get any fresh towels (different cabin) for almost 24 hours. They announced that their was a "higher than normal GI outbreak" and you should report to the medic. By that time, my husband went down and complete cdc forms for him and our son.

However, there were so many people, some left without being seen. There were biohazard bags, towels and wastebaskets in the halls for the next two days. As my youngest got off the ship, he started vomiting. I was helpless as a mom to do anything. The crew that spoke with us, stewards and wait staff were nice, but completely overwhelmed. At breakfast on the last day, there were plates, glasses, and napkins all over. Nothing was being taken away, and while the staff had gloves and face masks, we had nothing.

The cdc has reported 205 cases, or 5-6% had a reported illness, but there were many more. Carnival did not react in a reasonable amount of time given the circumstance. I am not someone that stirs up trouble for no reason, but there were problems here, and the officers should have done more (water, powerade-what to do withsoiled items?) and made announcements more quickly than they did to help us.

This was our first cruise. I saved for eight months, took off a week of work and was hoping for the best vacation ever.

The second evening of the cruise, my cousin got sick, very shortly after dinner. We thought it was food poisoning and did not report anything. By the third evening, my husband was ill. He made it to the bathroom, but it was hours until it was cleaned the next day. On Thursday, my oldest was sick, and we could get any fresh towels (different cabin) for almost 24 hours. They announced that their was a "higher than normal GI outbreak" and you should report to the medic. By that time, my husband went down and complete cdc forms for him and our son.

However, there were so many people, some left without being seen. There were biohazard bags, towels and wastebaskets in the halls for the next two days. As my youngest got off the ship, he started vomiting. I was helpless as a mom to do anything. The crew that spoke with us, stewards and wait staff were nice, but completely overwhelmed. At breakfast on the last day, there were plates, glasses, and napkins all over. Nothing was being taken away, and while the staff had gloves and face masks, we had nothing.

The cdc has reported 205 cases, or 5-6% had a reported illness, but there were many more. Carnival did not react in a reasonable amount of time given the circumstance. I am not someone that stirs up trouble for no reason, but there were problems here, and the officers should have done more (water, powerade-what to do withsoiled items?) and made announcements more quickly than they did to help us.

Up to a point, I can agree, but bottom line is how can the crew be everywhere at the same time fulfilling all needs? For instance, would a priority be cleaning up vomit throughout the ship...or taking away dishes?

Archived