Volendam Alaska/Vancouver Disembarkation

The problem with disembarkation is that there are no guarentees. If everything runs normally then 8 to 8:30 will be the earliest you can get off the ship. The ship is normally cleared by 10. Once in Port Canaveral disembarkation did not start until after 10:30, and for no apparent reason. If the ship arrives late then all bets are off. Never schedule your flight too close, always leave some extra time for the unexpected. If possible stay in Vancouver for a few days, it's a beautiful city.

I'm talking about the Volundam from Vancouver (not the Caribbean). I just want to know if one has to sit for 3 hours (or more) on the ship waiting to get off. I'm staying in Vancouver - that is the point - I want to get off the ship and do other things.

I'm talking about the Volundam from Vancouver (not the Caribbean). I just want to know if one has to sit for 3 hours (or more) on the ship waiting to get off.

And that's the point. All the variables remain the same no matter the port- Caribbean, Canadian, U.S., whatever. No one sits in any port for 3 hours waiting to disembark because the particular port wants you to. Problems happen and they can happen anywhere. Everybody wants to get off, not just you. :(

Last year on the Volendam in Alaska we started disembarking at a little after 8am. We also arrived at every port of call at least an hour early. If all goes well you could be off early it just depends on the circumstances. I really believe they try hard to get everyone off early as possible.

I'm talking about the Volundam from Vancouver (not the Caribbean). I just want to know if one has to sit for 3 hours (or more) on the ship waiting to get off. I'm staying in Vancouver - that is the point - I want to get off the ship and do other things.

Since you don't have a plane to catch and (I presume) aren't using HAL post-cruise hotel, then you will be in the last group to get off. But this could still be between 9 & 9:30...

I agree with dakrewser. We got into Vancouver at 6 AM, my wife and I were scheduled to drive home and were off the ship no later than 9, disembarkation was a BREEZE...Just give it a few minutes after they call your color/number. We waited about 5-7 mins after they called ours, and were met with good natured ribbing from the cruise staff for "Waltzing down at the last minute." :) We got through the whole thing in about 5 mins and were on the cruisepark shuttle maybe 10 mins later.

Airports could take cues from the folks working for the Port of Vancouver. You won't find a more surprisingly pleasant and helpful group of burly longshoremen anywhere.:)

Archived