RX's in Mexico

hannahsmomtoo

Filler ingedients can also be different. If you have allergies/sensitivities be careful. Last year on a cruise to Mexico I bought Advil from a resort gift shop. Thought I would be ok with Advil. I had an allergic reaction. Fortunately my reactions were not life threatening. It was still not a great experience. I won't forget to take my own Ibuprofen on my next cruise :D

There is a huge huge market for counterfit drugs right now especially in other countries. Those medications are not regulated (tested by anyone) nor do they require a prescription. You can bet bottom dollar they are fake drugs. Anyone can create a pill and put "******" or "retin-a" on the box. I would be extremely leary of getting drugs there.

We got Tramadol in Mexico-it was in a capsule and I use a pill/tablet in US-the Mexico Tramadol is not as strong as US pill. Be sure you have a valid prescription with you-Custom people when you arrive ask about buying pills-if you say No and they find them in your luggage, could be considered smuggling. Not sure if they have done anything to anyone but it is possible.

Last year we went to Cozumel and I purchased Lasix (fluid pills) at a store right near when you get off the ship. In the US I pay $10 for 30 and I bought a bottle of 180 for $15! They worked so well I would plan a cruise back to Cozumel just to get some more!

So this may seem like a dumb question, but do you need a prescription? Every time sinus infections run rampant through my house I think I could have saved a ton of time and hassle if i just would buy a 5 pack of z-packs when I'm on a cruise next time... So I can't do that without a prescription?

Shawn

So this may seem like a dumb question, but do you need a prescription? Every time sinus infections run rampant through my house I think I could have saved a ton of time and hassle if i just would buy a 5 pack of z-packs when I'm on a cruise next time... So I can't do that without a prescription?

Shawn

Not really buy you open a door for trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I get the generic Prilosec (omeprazole) when we stop in Cozumel....i get 120 capsules for about $25 and I think they work better than what we get in the US!!

I alos bring back a couple of Zpaks...no RX needed....

Marsha

Shawn

After the Swine Flu thing, Mexico passed a law that says you need a prescription, but it is still easy to get antibiotics, and I know what you mean. If you've had a sinus infection, you know what the symptoms are, why go waste time at a Doctor or Urgent Care clinic.

No presciption needed at the Phamacy in Cozumel.

My Pro-Air (for asthma) costs $50.00 for one (that's the co-pay). It used to be $35.00 before the law changed a couple years ago because of the propellant. Then there was no more generic version.

Salbutamol (Mexico's version) is $27.00 for a 3 pack. Each inhaler is twice the size of a regular inhaler. So those 3 are equal to 6 inhalers.

So in Mexico, it is $27.00 . The US would cost $300 for equivalent.

And they work just fine. Have not had a problem in the two years I have been using them.

So if you buy two 3 packs, you will save $546. That is the cost of a cruise for two on the Imagination which goes to Cozumel.

I don't no about Cozumel but in Belize inside the gate there are a few pharmancies. I have gone to the one in the back. The pharmist use to work for Wal Mart in Louisanna. I have bought many things there and had no problem. I think Belize might be cheaper than Cozumel when it comes to buying your medication. I show the pharmist my list of meds and what I pay for them she will tell me what is cheaper there. I have bought penicillan creme in her pharmancy they do not sell it in the US. Itis great for burns and insect bites.

She is American.

We always get scripts when we go to Mexico, there is no reason not to. There are certain drugs that you have to be careful about, thyroid meds is one example. I was on the name brand and things got all messed up when I switched to generic, bought in the US, so the claim about the thyroid meds being wrong from MX is just false. No scripts are needed for most common drugs and as long as you are bringing back a reasonable amount for personal use, no one will give you any problems. Tons of bus trips cross the border everyday for the sole purpose of getting meds. And you do not need to know the spanish names or speak spanish. The pharmicists know the brand names, they sell americans these meds all day everyday.

Just a side not, a bad script can come from anywhere, I take Prilosec daily and when I switched to Walmart pharmacy I had terrible heartburn all the time. After 2 months I switched back to Walgreens, the heartburn went away. That wasn't the first time I suspected Walmart of having weak meds. My Dr. mentioned that its very possible that they buy in such large amounts that the drugs have been sitting around for too long.

Z-Pacs would be awesome to bring home. Is there a certain pharmacy or store in Cozumel that yall would recommend?

We used a pharmacy right at the punta lagosta (i think that was name) pier, very nice people, very good prices.

A couple of points from a medical professional.

It IS illegal to bring back any drug that you have purchased without a prescription that requires one into the US. That said, you would have to be caught.

You can purchase many prescription items in Mexico without presenting a valid prescription.

The formularies are almost always the same. Who ever posted that the drugs are manufactured overseas and distributed in many cases is correct. Many Americans would be surprised that so many of their prescriptions are made in Mexico and Puerto Rico manufacturing plants.

Speaking or at least understanding Spanish will be helpful as packaging will be in Spanish and some of the names will not be the same.

Have I purchased items for personal use and felt comfortable doing so, yes indeed.

I should post the link for the law, because I have reviewed it, but it's late and I'm tired -

This is regulated both by US Customs and by the Food and Drug Administration - you can bring in medications purchased in foreign countries, but you are supposed to declare them and to bring in no more than the prescription is for.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Darn! The health care compliance person in me won't let me post info without a link!

And I was wrong - from the US Customs and Border Protection website

"Thus, in virtually all instances, individual citizens are prohibited from importing prescription drugs into the United States."

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/clearing/restricted/medication_drugs.xml

So, there's the law - that said, many people purchase medications overseas, in Mexico especially - the stores are right there on the pier in many cases. But decide ahead of time how you are going to answer the question: "Are you bringing back any prescription medications?" Because I have been asked that several times. You may want to practice lying to a government official.

Glad to see a Zonie who understands.

We are also in AZ and my husband is a Pharmacist. We have bought prescriptions in Mexico before but he can tell by looking at the labels if they were manufactured in the US or not. I would be very leary if you didn't have someone there that knows their stuff. We haven't done this for a few years because with all the competition in the US fo $4 prescriptions for everyday scripts, we don't see much need. Now blood pressure meds, thyroid, or antibiotics are cheaper at home.

Also would not reccomend getting any type of narcotic medication in Mexico even with a prescription. This could cause lots of issues if caught bringing them in. I would be just as concerned about law enforcement on either side of the border if you chose to attempt it.

I don't no about Cozumel but in Belize inside the gate there are a few pharmancies. I have gone to the one in the back. The pharmist use to work for Wal Mart in Louisanna. I have bought many things there and had no problem. I think Belize might be cheaper than Cozumel when it comes to buying your medication. I show the pharmist my list of meds and what I pay for them she will tell me what is cheaper there. I have bought penicillan creme in her pharmancy they do not sell it in the US. Itis great for burns and insect bites.

She is American.

I know the lady you are speaking of. She and my husband hit it off as he worked as a Pharmacist for Walmart for 21 years. Very sweet lady. He was more interested in how he could get a job and retire there. LOL

Archived