RX's in Mexico

hannahsmomtoo

Good morning everyone...

I have seen quite a few posts about people bringing back alcohol and tobacco from various ports.. but I don't know if this has been asked before.

Is anyone familiar with bringing prescriptions home? For example, if one has a valid RX for a medicine, that is significantly cheaper in Mexico.. would that be reasonable to get it there?

Assuming ofcourse that there is a pharmacy nearby the ports.. I would not want to take a taxi far..

Thank you for your input..

I have to work ( boo ) but will try and check back periodically.

I would be leery about getting a prescription filled in Mexico....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

I understand that.. but being so close to the border, it is very common here in AZ. The difference in drug prices is ridiculous.

There is a huge huge market for counterfit drugs right now especially in other countries. Those medications are not regulated (tested by anyone) nor do they require a prescription. You can bet bottom dollar they are fake drugs. Anyone can create a pill and put "******" or "retin-a" on the box. I would be extremely leary of getting drugs there.

There are some risks in getting perscriptions filled in Mexico, but thousands of Americans do it every year. There is no guarantee.

I live in an active adult comunity in Phoenix and the HOA community sub committe organizes "legal drug runs" to Mexico several times a year. There are many of these "Field Trips" through Arizona and Texas in communities within driving distance to the border. You pay $49 per person round trip and the bus takes you to Meixco, you shop for a few hours, then you ride the bus back to the community center.

I'm not saying it's completely safe, just saying there is a lot of it going on in the states. I've picked up perscription wrinkle cream a few times.

This is a good topic,

Hey all you CC lawers, what is the legal position of this?

You go to Mexico or where ever, and get 10 prescriptions filled. Can you bring them back to the US? and do you need to declair them? Or do you hide them and not say anything about them.

I have heard about the concerns of going to Canada being wrong, but is it legal, or are there limits to how much you can bring back?

Is anyone familiar with bringing prescriptions home? For example, if one has a valid RX for a medicine, that is significantly cheaper in Mexico.. would that be reasonable to get it there?

My SIL refills her asthma inhalers 100% of the time that she has gone on a cruise to Mexico. When her parents go, and she does not, my FIL fills the Rx for her. My FIL is a pharmacist (here, in the US) and has zero qualms about doing so.

I have to agree with the those that warn against taking medications purchased in other countries. The counterfeits look every bit as real as the official product, but more often than not they contain materials that you do not want to put into your bodies let alone the conditions that they are made in are less than sterile.

just my 2¢

Barry

There are some risks in getting perscriptions filled in Mexico, but thousands of Americans do it every year. There is no guarantee.

I live in an active adult comunity in Phoenix and the HOA community sub committe organizes "legal drug runs" to Mexico several times a year. There are many of these "Field Trips" through Arizona and Texas in communities within driving distance to the border. You pay $49 per person round trip and the bus takes you to Meixco, you shop for a few hours, then you ride the bus back to the community center.

I'm not saying it's completely safe, just saying there is a lot of it going on in the states. I've picked up perscription wrinkle cream a few times.

Glad to see a Zonie who understands.

This is a good topic,

Hey all you CC lawers, what is the legal position of this?

You go to Mexico or where ever, and get 10 prescriptions filled. Can you bring them back to the US? and do you need to declair them? Or do you hide them and not say anything about them.

I have heard about the concerns of going to Canada being wrong, but is it legal, or are there limits to how much you can bring back?

THANK YOU.. you restated my question MUCH better than I managed to do...

This issue was discussed on one of the morning tv programs a while ago. It is much cheaper for prescriptions in Mexico but as other posters have said you have no guantee that the med that you buy there is the actual med. You may get a fake or if it is real it may have expired and be much less effective. I'd look up the pharmacutical companies of the meds you take on the web and see if each company has a progam where they will help pay for meds if folks can't afford them or don't have insurance. You just have no protection buying out in Mexico and your health could truly suffer. I'd ask my MD and a pharmacist before I tried to buy meds in Mexico. Your MD may be able to give you samples too. I'm sure some folks have had great luck with this and that's great but it's a risk. Talk to your health provider 1st.

I understand that.. but being so close to the border, it is very common here in AZ. The difference in drug prices is ridiculous.

I understand the concern a would not reccomend walking in to an unfamiliar pharmacy when on a cruise to pick up meds. My in laws live 30 mins from Mexico and cross the line for their prescription meds regularly. The difference is 1) they are fluent Spanish speakers, and most importantly, 2) they have been regular customers of the samce farmacia for over 20 years. They get their name brand meds for about half what the same costs in the states.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

It is illegal but people do it all the time. There are risks and they are getting worst. It's the flip of the coin so be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Is it illegal?

( I am not being sarcastic.. that is a genuine question. )

Is it illegal?

( I am not being sarcastic.. that is a genuine question. )

It's legal as long as you have a prescription from a US physican, it's for personal use only (you aren't reselling them) and it's not a huge supply

Good morning everyone...

I have seen quite a few posts about people bringing back alcohol and tobacco from various ports.. but I don't know if this has been asked before.

Assuming ofcourse that there is a pharmacy nearby the ports.. I would not want to take a taxi far..

Thank you for your input..

I have to work ( boo ) but will try and check back periodically.

We have purchased antibiotics and other things in Mexico without a prescription. Never had a problem.

There are a lot of Walmart's in Mexico.

There are five in Merida.

I would hesitate from buying at a little hole in the wall near a cruise terminal, but from a big store that is actually frequented by residents I would feel comfortable.

I would be leery. The reason being I switched from a brand name to a generic here in the US. The generic was horrid compared to the brand name. I would hate to spend $$ in MX only to find out the medicine worked worse than my US purchased generic. You just never know what is in the meds.

You folks are aware that several Americans and Canadians call Mexico home on a part time or full time basis and see Doctors and get their prescriptions filled and live to tell about it.

The best advice is to know the Spanish name of the drug you want so you can be sure of what you're buying.

The only concern I have is that the formulas of their medications are not always exactly the same as they are in the US. My parents are missonaries that live in Mexico, my dad is on a medication that treats low thyroid and when he first moved to mexico he got his prescription filled there and it completely messed up his thyroid levels. Since then they have never filled any of their medications in Mexico and his thyroid levels have never had any problems sense then. So just be careful.

Archived