Wheelchair Taxi's at Heathrow Airport

ParishM

i'm flying into LHR and use a power chair mobility

device Hoveround. i will need transport to

a local hotel (Premier Inn) and transport to the Heathrow

Express or Tube the following day to journey into London.

how much difficulty will i have finding something ? my chair

is larger than a standard wheelchair (29"w x 47"l)

One of the good things about Londons monopolistic taxi service is you know exactly what you're going to get - so I can confirm that the door clearance on a TX4 accessible cab is 700mm at floor level, widening to 780mm at waist height. That's from the manufacturers spec sheet. NB: that's official London Taxis - if you get a private 'minicab' they could have any kind of vehicle.

Unfortunately that's 27 & 9/16 inches minimum width - too small if your chair is 29" wide as you state below (although the manufacturer states 27.5", barely inside the limits, assuming the link you provided to the Teknique XHD is the right model).

The 47" length shouldn't be a problem, as the cabs are over 50" across.

You might also find this link useful if you have not already checked with Virgin Atlantic about carrying mobility devices - it includes a form for you to complete listing your chair specs and reminds you to include copies of the (dis)assembly instructions as the chair will be taken apart, batteries removed etc. for the flight.

In general you'll find the Tube a hassle to deal with unless you're lucky as to which stations and lines you're traveling on - there are so many different ages of infrastructure, and different types of rolling stock, that most of the stations do not let you roll on and off the trains. Plan your route *very* carefully if you're taking the Tube.

You'll want to make liberal use of the Step Free Tube Guide to plan your trip. In theory staff will help you board the trains, then call ahead to the station you're getting off at so there's someone to meet you but in practice I have no idea how readily available staff are, so if in doubt only use the 'Green A' stations.

The Heathrow Express only goes to Paddington, which does not have any degree of accessiblity for transfer to the Tube - so expect to cab it from there unless Paddington is convenient for your sightseeing.

Hope this helps - enjoy London!

I think you've got a problem with a mobility chair. Don't even think of using the Underground with a mobiliy chair.

You'll have no problems within Heathrow,

The Premier Inn T5 is a couple of miles from any passenger terminal and the only transport put on are the Hoppa Buses, the hotels are not allowed their own vehicles.

This is essentially a local public bus with large luggage racks inside that just services the hotels. At peak times its standing only but most of the time they run almost empty.

If you want to sightsee in London with a mobility scooter I would strongly urge you to find a hotel in Central London and find a private car operator for the journeys to and from the airport.

thanks for all the replies, i'm thinking it will just fit through

the TX4 door. it's actually about 27" wide at the drive wheels

and 28.8" at the arm rests. if not no doubt there will be

someone with a minivan that will work. i can walk short

distances generally 50m-100m so if the chair doesn't work

out going to central London i'll leave it at the hotel.

the mobility pdf from Virgin Atlantic was a great help, i'll

make sure to fill it out. i doubt they'll take it apart, the

batteries are sealed AGM and the seat weighs almost

100lbs.

if not no doubt there will be

someone with a minivan that will work.

Please don't assume that - the only cabs allowed on the ranks at Heathrow are licensed London Taxis (the famous black cabs). Other private hire services must be pre-booked and meet you by arrangement.

There are several different vehicles used as black cabs these days, but I think your requirements may be tight for all of them. For reassurance you may want to think about pre-booking a suitable vehicle.

If I were you I would pre book a mini cab, but you will need to tell them about your chair. It will work out a lot cheaper than a London Black Cab, although they may be accessible.

I would put your question on the London Forum on Tripadvisor as there is lots of info on there.

If you look on ww.tfl.co.uk you will be able to find which tube stations are wheelchair accessible and plan your journey. London buses are accessible and have ramps and wheelchair spaces.

Archived