Passport Question

:) Hi everyone.

Just went today & had our pictures taken for our passports. We have the applications filled out & are just waiting to go to our local post office.

One question tho, hopefully someone can help. I have moved but havent changed my drivers license yet, on the section of the passport application, it asks for permanant address, does it have to match my drivers license? Or can i put my new address, which by the way is a different state.(license is Maryland & I now live in Delaware.)

Should I just be on the safe side &put my Maryland address because it matches my DL? I know I should just go to the DMV & change my license but...

thanks!

I would use the new address since you already live there and its now your permant address and also so that you can receive your new passport there, In California we update our License every 4 years and thats when we put our new address on it, I beleive the License is just a form of I.D. and it pretty much shows the Postal worker you live in the States, I just renewed mine and the postal worker didnt ask to see it but kept my old passport, On the other hand, They took a quick look at my wifes License and handed it right back but they kept her Birth Certificate.

They will send your passport to the perment address you give them, so if you don't want a delay in mail delivery you better use your new address. Your BC has to have a raised seal also. I had trouble with the old cert. copy of mine and had to order a new one from the state I was born in. It took over 3 months for the whole thing to go through!!! My son's passport only took 2 weeks, but that was 3 years ago, before so many people were getting them.

The passport app. hhas a spave for the address I want my passport sent to & a place for my permanant address! Should I just put the same for both even tho it wont match my drivers lic? I have a raised seal BC so ok on that issue! & I will try to call passport agency to get all my answers!

Wennfred,

your friend did get her BC back right?

thanks for the help!

Consequences of Failure to Provide Information:

With the exception of your Social Security Number, you are not legally required to provide the infomation requested on this form, However, failure to do so may result in Passport Services, refusal to accept your application or result in the denial of a U.S. Passport.

Believe me from the experence I had getting mine this spring...it's your BC that is one of the most important, and if it isn't just right they will not send it through. After 911 everything has gotten very hard. They do require that everything is exactly right or they will let you know what you need to change. But this will take a lot of time, so make sure you have all the right papers and prove of citizenship. They really made me feel like I wasn't a citizen...until I got my passport, and my family has been here for 150 years or more. Just make sure you have a certified copy of your BC with all the right seals and signatures and you will be fine. They use your drivers license more to check and make sure the picture matchs the person applying. But if the BC isn't right, then you have troubles.

:) Hi everyone.

Just went today & had our pictures taken for our passports. We have the applications filled out & are just waiting to go to our local post office.

One question tho, hopefully someone can help. I have moved but havent changed my drivers license yet, on the section of the passport application, it asks for permanant address, does it have to match my drivers license? Or can i put my new address, which by the way is a different state.(license is Maryland & I now live in Delaware.)

Should I just be on the safe side &put my Maryland address because it matches my DL? I know I should just go to the DMV & change my license but...

thanks!

Your drivers license is used for the purpose of establishing/proving your identity to the acceptance agent. I don't see anything in the application instructions that says that the driver's license address must match the application address. We have a similar situation and will be visiting our post office soon too, so I'll let you know if we have any problems!

Thanks everyone! I call the Post Office today, the lady there said it didnt matter about my address not matching my drivers license. The important part is the birth cert. & they keep your BC & mail it back with the new passport. Now I am thinking I had better request copies of the BC now just incase I dont get the passport back in time. I should have started this idea alot earlier!

My DH had a CO drivers license and put our MI address (where we were living at the time) on his application. No problems! :D

While it wasn't a different state, I had two different California addresses on my application (one for the drivers licence, and one for the application). Your passport doesn't have a street address on it anyway.

I just included a FedEx airbill so that I could track when it was on its way home to me. :D

Now I am thinking I had better request copies of the BC now just incase I dont get the passport back in time. I should have started this idea alot earlier!

I did this too.

It took only a few days to get an additional, certified copy of my birth cert. It was literally a 10 day turnaround. I think I am an isolated incident. :D

You should have plenty of time to get your passport. I just received mine and it took only 15 days from the day I applied. I do think you would be wise to get copies of your bc. I got a copy of mine last year and it was $17.00.

Carrie:p

Once you get your passport be sure and make a photocopy of it and keep it in a place separate from the passport. I laminated my copy and made a copy of the front also. I put it in kind of a book format so it looks just like the passport. This is good to have if you have to surrender your passport anywhere. You can use it to help cash checks at a foreign bank. It would be useful if you somehow lost your passport. It helps to get the lost passport replaced. The number on the passport of course is the main thing.

Archived