Eating at the ports

PaigeM

Just be sure to eat from the places frequented by tourists... most tourist beaches and restaurants used purified water. If you go off the beaten path, just be sure to have bottled water, avoid salads, soups, etc. I personally would stick with the tourist restaurant/beaches... I personally have never had trouble in Mexico, but a few years ago, BF got very sick and one of the sources we think was a restaurant we went to (not frequented by tourists) and he had some soup, so that could have been it... just be cautious and ask questions.

One of the things that my DH and I enjoy while traveling is eating at different ports. We've eaten at many islands/ports during cruises - Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Honduras. We've stayed at resorts in Jamaica and Mexico. We have never had any issues with the food in any of them. In fact, we've had more issues with places here in the US than we've had with any island/port.

You can definitely find plenty of "authentic" places to go and get great food, where you won't have to worry... most of these places are only open because of tourists, if people were consistently getting sick, they wouldn't be around!!! Don't worry!!!

I have always enjoyed eating in the ports and try to find "off the beaten path" places vs. the franchises whenever possible. I say if you wash down your food with tequila, you'll kill anything you swallowed! :):eek:

Been to Coz three different times always ate on the island with no problems at all.

Me, too, over a dozen times. I love ceviche and it is generally very good there. I disagree about sticking to the obvious tourist restaurants as I think you miss out. I always look for locals and cleanliness first.

We will be going to cozumel, Jamaica and Grand Caymen. I am weary about eating in cozumel, as I have heard horror stories about getting sick from food from Mexico. Opinions please.

We have been to Mexico a few times. Cozumel twice and Playa Del Carmen (there's a great Mexican Roadhouse just outside of Tulum, authentic Mexican at a great price) once. All three times we ate in port and were just fine. In Cozumel, the only way - IMO - to get sick would be to go out into the country, visit a local farmer's house and eat their diner! 99% of the places to eat in Cozumel will be fine. Cozumel's only real source of income is the tourist industry. Most of the places in San Miguel - the only real town on Cozumel - use purified or bottled water. Go to this web site: http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/ These people are Americans who live in Cozumel. They have made it their hobby/profession to spread the word about Cozumel. To let people know how it really is down there. The cruise lines want you to only go to the places that give them a kickback. There's a lot more to the ports - well, maybe not Costa Maya (which is actually the name of the Mexican coastal region from Cancun to the Belize border, there is no town called Costa Maya) and Belize - than the cruise lines and CDs will tell you about.

Go into San Miguel, go to a resteraunt. If they have a menu in English... enjoy!

By the way... I've got to think that soup would be ok to eat because it is cooked, right?

By the way... I've got to think that soup would be ok to eat because it is cooked, right?

Not necessarily, what we were told my the ships doctor was that unless it was actually boiled, and for a certain length of time, soup is actually one of the foods that many people get sick from in Mexico, along with salads... I did not have soup, or a salad and I was fine... had a lovely meal. It was very nice to eat in a very authentic Mexican restaurant, nobody in there except locals and crew from the ship... Generally the crew can recommend some of the best places!!!

To me, part of the great adventure of traveling is enjoying the local food. On Cozumel, I particularly like Pancho's Backyard, and there are two locations - one in the downtown area of San Miguel, and the other at the Puerta Maya Pier area. Both are very good, and I've had no problems.

There's a nice al fresco restaurant at Chankanaab on Cozumel, and the food there is very good, as well.

I think if you stay away from the salads and soups, you'll be fine. I do not eat salads or soups in MX. Gazpacho, for example, a cold tomato-y soup with diced raw fresh veggies, is not cooked. Most of the restaurants that cater to tourists do use purified water, and have signs that emphasize this. They don't want to get a reputation for making folks sick, y'know?

It's been a long time since I was in the Caymans, but I never had a problem with food there, either.

Spent 5 days in the Caymans a couple of years ago. No problems whatsoever. Ate in local and others (Hard Rock, Subway, etc.). Drank the water, no problems. And I was 4 months pregnant at the time and had just gotten over morning sickness!

June

Archived