Downtown Charleston Advice

Prof Peg

DH and I are sailing in Jan from Charleston. We're staying at Doubletree, I believe it is 181 Church St. Is it a nice neighborhood? Also the biggest question -- is there anywhere nearby where we can buy sodas, water, munches, etc.?

Most likely we will be using taxi the morning we board (I don't think hotel has shuttle)

Thanks for your expert advice.

Peg

DH and I are sailing in Jan from Charleston. We're staying at Doubletree, I believe it is 181 Church St. Is it a nice neighborhood? Also the biggest question -- is there anywhere nearby where we can buy sodas, water, munches, etc.?

Most likely we will be using taxi the morning we board (I don't think hotel has shuttle)

Thanks for your expert advice.

Peg

The hotel is in the heart of historic Charleston (the Market). You can safely walk anywhere day or night.Restaurants,bars,shops, and tours are very close by.There is a grocery store on East Bay Street and a convenience store on State Street.

Make sure to get out and explore if time permits. We love to stroll down historic Church Street to the Battery and back up East Bay St. by Rainbow Row and Waterfront Park.Check the schedule and see if there is a Play on at Dock Street Theater or the Footlight Players---both are only a few blocks away. We love to have dinner at Hyman's Seafood--2 blocks away---great seafood at a reasonable price.

There are carriage and ghost tours available in the Market.Charleston would be well worth visiting for a few days pre or post cruise---just so much to do.Hope this helps.

Thanks so much, that really helps. We have heard so many nice things about Charleston and it must be well worth the early visit. Our son was stationed at the Navy base when he was on a nuclear sub and I know how much he loved the town.

We love seafood, so Hyman's is a definite on our list of places to go!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much, that really helps. We have heard so many nice things about Charleston and it must be well worth the early visit. Our son was stationed at the Navy base when he was on a nuclear sub and I know how much he loved the town.

We love seafood, so Hyman's is a definite on our list of places to go!

Charleston is such a beautiful town and very safe where you will be staying...walk and see the homes and gardens.

We always go to Hyman's when we are there.

We stayed at the Doubletree a few years ago. It's a nice hotel. We loved exploring the area. We did a walking tour with Charleston Sole walking tours (found them on Trip Advisor) and it was the highlight of our trip. We also did a ghost tour that was ok, wouldn't do it again.

Archived