Exit Glacier After Embarking Ship

englishlady

We'll be sailing RCI's Radiance of the Seas out of Seward in a little more than a week. We want to board, have lunch and then visit Exit Glacier. The only "vague" part of our entire land/cruise itinerary is the transportation piece to/from Exit Glacier and the port in Seward. I have a note on my itinerary that says Exit Glacier Guides run a shuttle every half-hour and that they're located across the road from the Train Wreck. Where's the Train Wreck in relation to the port? Is it a long walk? Would we be able to get a taxi to Exit Glacier right from or close to the pier? What would be the most efficient way?

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that's done this as I'm sure many have! What would you recommend?

Thanks!

Alma

Who is "we"? How are you getting to Seward? Are you arriving into Seward the same day your ship departs?

A taxi might be a better option with 3-4 of you. Train station, Train Wreck and cruise dock are all within walking distance if no mobility issues.

"We" are my husband and myself. Sorry, I should have made that clear. We will be arriving in Seward the day before and boarding the ship late morning, leaving plenty of time to board, have lunch, and then visit Exit Glacier prior to our set sail at 8pm.

Apologies for not providing all the necessary information :)

Hi again,

I think I am following you all around Alaska! Or are you following me?? ;) It seems we have almost the same trip planned.

We are on the same sailing, doing the same thing you are. I contacted PJ Taxi about transportation. Her price is $50 rt for up to 7 passengers. I posted on the roll call if anyone would like to go to cut the cost.

Pat

Hi again,

I think I am following you all around Alaska! Or are you following me?? ;) It seems we have almost the same trip planned.

We are on the same sailing, doing the same thing you are. I contacted PJ Taxi about transportation. Her price is $50 rt for up to 7 passengers. I posted on the roll call if anyone would like to go to cut the cost.

Pat

Hi Pat, yes I think we are on very similar itineraries. I'll take a look at the roll call, and maybe I'll follow up with you there. Is is necessary to pre-book a taxi, or can you just "grab" one? Are there taxis available and waiting for passengers that want to visit Exit Glacier but haven't prebooked with anyone to take them there? Just curious.

It looks like Exit Glacier shuttle leaves from their office near 4th and Jefferson. $10pp, RT. Find out when their last shuttle leaves Exit.

http://www.exitglacierguides.com/kenai_fjords_glacier_shuttle_in_Seward_Alaska

It would be a long walk to their office, but there's a free shuttle from the ship to several stops downtown.

http://www.sewardchamber.org/wp-content/uploads/2012-Free-Shuttle-Schedule.pdf

Sharing a taxi with fellow passengers might be fun though.

PJ's Taxi is reliable and won't leave you stranded at Exit Glacier. I have never seen taxi's waiting at Exit to take people into town but that doesn't mean there wouldn't ever be any. You need to book in advance.

You can also drop your luggage at the ship, go to Exit Glacier and then board the ship for lunch.

When all else fails, a kind Alaskan may be willing to take you to your ship. I've done it. I crammed 5 into my Subaru one time.

Thank you everyone; this is exactly the information I was looking for! It doesn't look like we'll just be able to "grab" a taxi at the pier so we'll probably head to Exit Glacier Guides for the shuttle. I'm hesitant to make arrangements ahead of time for a taxi. We will have had a week filled with activity and very early mornings, and will have had an extremely long day the day before. On the day of boarding I expect we'll be up early again to watch the ship arrive and then we're going to the the Alaska Sea Life Center. By the time we get onboard and have lunch, we may just be done in and decide against going to Exit Glacier. But I want a plan in place in the event we still have the energy to go, and you have all been very helpful with that. Thank you again!

Alma

there are a couple of taxi services in Seward. Take phone numbers with you and call from the visitor center when you're ready to go back to the ship for dinner. Sharing a taxi with your cruiseship passengers sound like a fun plan.

http://cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/how-to-get-around-31.htm

It would be a shame to miss out on Exit Glacier ... you can rest after dinner. Telling everyone at home that you walked to Exit Glacier will make a great story.

there are a couple of taxi services in Seward. Take phone numbers with you and call from the visitor center when you're ready to go back to the ship for dinner. Sharing a taxi with your cruiseship passengers sound like a fun plan.

http://cmdev.seward.com/list/QL/how-to-get-around-31.htm

It would be a shame to miss out on Exit Glacier ... you can rest after dinner. Telling everyone at home that you walked to Exit Glacier will make a great story.

Thank you MapleLeaves .... that's great advice!!!

Alma

Archived