Advice for 2 families Cruise

ccm02339

Hi all,

Looking for advice/opinions about choosing a cruise for our two families:

Family 1 kids 15 boy 12.5 girl

family 2 kids 12.5 girl 10.5 girl 5.5 girl

We are getting 4 cabins together and have found each ship to be able to do this. Now to choose the ship/itinerary:

RCI Freedom (550-700 more expensive) stops in labadee, Grand Cayman, Jamaica (we are not fans) and Cozumel

Norweigan Epic (about same $ as Carnival) Stops St Maartin, St Thomas and Bahamas

Carnival Liberty (same $ as Epic) stops Bahamas private island, San Jaun Grand Turk and St Thomas

Our family did E Caribean on Freedom and loved everything about it! Traveled in Jan and ship was quiet, not too many kids, but enough that each one found a pal. Other family has not done cruise w kids, just Carnival 2x and loved

hubby is leaning toward Freedom, even though more expensive.

Friends are thinking Epic may be good with 12 Y.O.s with younger girls in kids clubs. Will activities keep them entertained? My 12 is concerned and likes idea of being in teen group...

Will rooms on epic be too tiny for family used to Carnival, I think entertainment will make up for that, no?

Reviews say the pool decks on Epic are crazy crowded, a concern..

Also concerned we will miss dining room on Epic, same servers each night, we like traditional 6pm dining, my kids loved this! Can you request to have the same table/servers each night? Am I overthinking?

I guess Carnival is what we will consider if we don't want to pay extra for Freedom.

Any commentary comparing Freedom/Epic/Liberty dining, Kids programs, activities and port advice would be appreciated

Thanks so much!

Sarah

On sea days, all of the ship's pools will be crowded....can't be helped! No ship has large pools!!!

I think you're overthinking. Any of the cruises will give you a great time. I'd pick by itinerary....the shipboard experience will be more alike than different for all the lines, so pick by where you want to go! All of the kid's clubs separate kids by ages....so the 12 year old will be in the pre-teen group....usually 12-14 years.

The above info is not exactly correct. ;) Your 12 year old will be in the 10-12 year old group on Epic which is often combined with the younger ones - not the teens.

Me, my 12 year old (and 8 year old) just got off of a RCI ship and yes - we LOVE it for the reasons you mentioned. Our next sailing is Epic.

We are looking forward to the Epic because of the Entertainment. And of course, the water slides ;)

The 12 year old program on RCI was tough (for me) because there wasn't the structure like there was on our last NCL sailing. The activities were sporadic or were scheduled very late. And I was finding myself waiting up later and later for her every night.

It was just an adjustment for me - going from a "kids program" to a teen program ;)

But in the end - she had an awesome time. And the crew was fabulous.

Basically you can't go wrong with either.

Archived