Disembark at Southampton time to Heathrow

runningprophet

We will be disembarking at Southampton on Monday October 1st and "walking off" (it docks at 4 am). Knowing that we need to clear customs, etc. We were hoping to disembark by 6 am. Is that being overly optimistic? We have a 12 noon international flight out of Heathrow. Are we cutting it close? Celebrity suggests a 1 pm flight is preferable. We could change our flight (2 x $250).

What has been general experiences at getting from the port to airport? Yeah, we know it is Monday morning traffic, etc.

Thanks.

It's probably OK assuming you have a private driver and the ship is not delayed. We had a 12:30PM flight and had no problems. Other than I hate Heathrow and their big departure hall mess. I probably would not spend $500 to change the flights, but be aware it may be hard to get a flight out if you miss your flight.

Why risk it?

Could be a pile-up on the motorway - even in a private car!!

You have to check-in hours before.

Security lines can be long.

The disembarkation could be held up for various reasons.

I would rather sit at the airport for a few extra hours, than be a nervous wreck.:eek::eek:

The last 2 cruises on Eclipse, as Elite we were able to do normal disembarkation at 7am and were on the road by 7.30am, normally, I think you should be OK.

But be aware delays can happen, we have been delayed on P&O by headwinds and not disembarked till after 10am. On one cruise on Eclipse we were delayed by a medical evacuation off the French coast, then a crew member sadly jumped overboard, and they spent some time looking for him, and we were a little late docking.

Richard

We will be disembarking at Southampton on Monday October 1st and "walking off" (it docks at 4 am). Knowing that we need to clear customs, etc. We were hoping to disembark by 6 am. Is that being overly optimistic? We have a 12 noon international flight out of Heathrow. Are we cutting it close? Celebrity suggests a 1 pm flight is preferable. We could change our flight (2 x $250).

What has been general experiences at getting from the port to airport? Yeah, we know it is Monday morning traffic, etc.

Thanks.

We just did this in April on the Eclipse. The issue is not only the traffic on the motorway or the distance to the airport but Security and Immigration can take a long time at Heathrow as well. You really need the other hour or more to make sure you make your flight. I wishe you well. I would not do it. :)

Archived