Is it really terrible to reserve Scuba Dives through Cruise Line?

Dlarruso

I've been diving for years, but am relatively new to cruising. We will do our 3rd cruise next year, the first one I plan on going diving. Since I will be a solo, female diver who won't have her usual dive buddies along, I'm currently planning to book with the cruise line. I'm a little hesitant to head off by myself hauling at least some of my dive gear. I think I'll try & find my cruise thread to see if I can find any other divers who will be sailing with me. That would make me feel a lot better about booking on my own. :D

You will be able to find ops at most ports that will pick you up right at the ship. For the most part its pretty rare that I have had to deal with cabs and finding my own why to the boat. Just a fyi

What ports are you diving in?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We will be stopping in Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, & Cozumel. Not sure yet which port(s) I will dive. DH is not a diver & I don't want to run off & leave him every time we ar in port. We have just under a year before this cruise so I really don't have to decide yet. Gives me time to do a little research.

You will be able to find ops at most ports that will pick you up right at the ship. For the most part its pretty rare that I have had to deal with cabs and finding my own why to the boat. Just a fyi

Would be nice if I can find a dive op who will pick me up. I may very well look into that I'm more used to land based trips where I just jump in a car & go, and I don't have to worry about making it back to a ship on time. I can see my husband having a fit worrying about whether I'll make it back on time! :eek::D

The only dive excursion we have ever booked through the ship was on Celebrity and in Roatan. There were only 3 off the ship, they took us to Anthony Key and we had a fabulous dive and time :)

The reason we shy away from them is what we see when we get off the ship and see the group gathering up. We also stay in Cozumel quite a bit and see the group of divers coming to the dive ops. Spooky! :eek:

Some of you are overly paranoid about private ops and getting back to the ship. My son works for an excursion company in St.Thomas. They are all well aware of the ships schedule and their reputation counts on it. Other then a broken boat or car, which can happen even to a cruise ship excursion, they will get you back in time. My son had 60ppl from St.Thomas to White Bay, Jost Van Dyke, 40 of the guests were from the cruise ship. The engines failed, they called RCCL, paid for a private ferry back to Crown Bay.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked a dive through DCL in St thomas and the company was great .. I went with the certified divers so we had a small group .. I think there was 5 of us .. but the learn to dive group was rather big .. like 20 people big and I think there were two instructors for them.

Archived