Whooping Cough

Gailerina

So we have these discussions of the norovirus and it made me think of whooping cough. I am associated in some fashion with the medical field and right now MD there are a large number of cases. They are actually encouraging people to get the booster shot Tdap.

Has anyone heard of someone catching it on a cruise?

I'm not normally paranoid but because of where I work I plan to get the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Pertussis is part of the normal childhood immunizations, that kids receive several times, beginning at 2 months. But since so many lame parents are not getting their children immunized, it is on the upswing.

Normally wouldn't think of getting this unless you were around a lot of kids in close quarters, e.g., you work in day care, etc.

BUT, the TDAP (tetanus-diphtheria-and-pertussis) is a no brainer -- get one if you haven't had in the last 5 years!

I would guess you can catch it if you are around someone else who has it...whether on a cruise or not. Kids of a coworker of mine had it earlier this year...I don't know if they were vaccinated or not. The guy was at work and I really wanted him to stay home until it was all over!

I had Whooping Cough when I was just 2 years old. Does anyone know if you can get it the second time? My mother said it was pretty bad stuff but, of course, I can't remember.

Yes you can actually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Archived