Sun 5/8/05

UKAllan

I think everyone's still trying to recover...

Oh, just kiddin! UKAllan - I noticed a thread started by Sun repo cruisers (the 5 day just before our Alaska trip). So, thought I'd stick some of our comments there after I read the reviews...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=175444&page=1&pp=25

Remember, when you read the comments (that includes me!) take them with a grain of salt. Everyone experiences things so differently, and I'd hate to see someone prejudge something for you!

Please ask if need any ship or port details I may be able to help with!!

When are you heading up?

:cool: Starbuck

Thanks for the comments.

I'm leaving this Sunday the 22nd. I have an AD, so I will probably want to have dinner in my suite most nights. But before I pay the extra charge for the specialty restaurants on a given night, I want to make sure that the "regular" dinner isn't something I like/want. Do the suites have the week's menus up there already?

Also I am curious about the Butler....can you call them for anything, anytime?

Thanks!

You'll love your penthouse and balcony! We agree with you and spent as little time as possible in public spaces. Our room was just too huge to leave!

Although it takes away a bit from the 'spontaneity', it's still nice to know a few things before you go that can make all the difference. However, all of this applied to our owner's suite, so I'm not certain if everything will be the same in AD. It never hurts to ask! (or as my DH says, never hurts when 'I' ask!) :rolleyes:

Concierge

Claudio is fabulous. I hope you have him. He'll do anything, arrange anything, or make sure someone does! His attention to detail is amazing. Call him if you have any questions about anything. He can arrange shore excurions, car rentals, get you DVD movies to watch in your room, and book the specialty restaruant reservations. The most important perk by far, is VIP embarkation and disembarkation - completely stress-less!

He advised us right away that specialty restaurants fill up fast and that he can only get reservations if there's room. We checked all the menus which were in the suite and had him book 3 right away. We didn't book one on Glacier Cruising day as we wanted to be in the room viewing the scenery. Also, one night they offered 1/2 price cover charge for all the specialty spots. Ask if he'll tell you which night! You can cancel your booking by 5pm the day of - with no charge - so you're not obligated to hold the reservations in case you change your mind or whatever.

Butlers

We had two - Chris & Gede intro'd themselves as soon as we arrived. They'll explain what they can do for you and who to call for what. We actually never really figured it out entirely!

Basically, anything "in-suite" food and beverage related is the Butler's department. They deliver all your room service requests and can serve meals course by course if you wish.

Yes - ask for a main dining room dinner menu to be delivered each morning. (Apparently the front desk also has a book with the menus for the entire week). You can order dinner in your room from that day's menu. Also, ask whether you can order from the specialty restaurant menus. We didn't opt for it, but they did offer. The same cover charge applies. It could work well if you want to order from one menu and your wife from another!

They make sure ice is in the room when you want it ie: before or after dinner - or both. We asked for 2 ice buckets. You can never have enough ice! They stock the fridge with pop/juice/mixers - ask what's included, what's a charge. They work certain schedules, so if you do want a room service snack at say 3am, regular staff will deliver it instead.

They'll arrive almost every afternoon around 3:30ish with a plate of something special - h'orderves, desserts or cheeses.

We did a 4 course dinner in our suite on glacier cruising day which was fabulous! They come in and set up our table linens, glasses, cutlery etc. then bring each course giving you time between to enjoy. It's a little strange at first, but Chris was alot of fun and you get used to the pampering without it feeling uncomfortable.

Hope you have an enjoyable and memorable journey! Do you have a foreward balcony? We really enjoyed ours, but I hear the aft balcs have their advantages too.

If there's anything else I can share, I promise no more novels!

:cool: Starbuck

Wow! That was great! Thanks! Novels are good! The more detail the better!:D

Yes, we have a forward AD on the Viking deck with a big balcony. (Though not owner's suite sized!) How was the wind on the balcony, by the way?

Does VIP disembarkation work at ports? i.e. if I want to get off first thing at 7AM in Juneau?

And, yes, if I want the Filet from Le Bistro, and my wife wants something from Il Adagio, we can do it in the room! WOW! I hadn't even thought of that possibility. Thanks!

Wow! That was great! Thanks! Novels are good! The more detail the better!:D

Yes, we have a forward AD on the Viking deck with a big balcony. (Though not owner's suite sized!) How was the wind on the balcony, by the way?

Does VIP disembarkation work at ports? i.e. if I want to get off first thing at 7AM in Juneau?

And, yes, if I want the Filet from Le Bistro, and my wife wants something from Il Adagio, we can do it in the room! WOW! I hadn't even thought of that possibility. Thanks!

I was on the repo cruise in an AC suite 0065 AFT and had the same butlers that Starbuck had and they were fabulous! We had dinner in our room the last night so we could enjoy the view and it was great! You could order from any of the restaurants. We did not experience much wind at all, but we were on the AFT.

Claudio is wonderful! He'll make sure you're taken care of. Take advantage of the early disembarkment, you'll be happy you did!

Il Adagio and Le Bistro are great places to eat when you want a view. East Meet West, Tempenyaki and certain seats in Four seasons don't have much of a view so try and save them for late night dinners or sea days. Don't forget to try Las Rambles which is above the Sports Bar. It's really good!

Have a great time!

Ally :)

Archived