VAT (sales tax) refunds

Hey you guys

Don't forget you can get your VAT (=sales tax) back on everything you take back with you out of Europe that is.

Make sure you ask for a VAT refund form, not just a receipt, for every purchase over say 20 dollars. If they don't have a form shop elsewhere, they'll soon get the message!

Produce the form and the goods to Customs as you leave and you'll get 17% back.

I was a customs officer for 35 years so I have an idea what I'm talking about.

There is actually no lower legal limit, but I assumed that for less than 20 dollars you wouldn't be bothered !!

Here is a link to the official Customs (Revenue) site

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_InfoGuides&propertyType=document&id=HMCE_PROD_007779

Is this just for purchases made in the U.K? What about purchases made on the continent? Don't you collect the VAT at the airport before your flight home...for all purchases in all countries? What about countries that don't use the Euro?

Sooooooo many questions LOL.

The rules are for the EU whether or not they use Euros or whatever.

Collect your forms from each shop remember, and hand carry the articles,or at least the more expensive ones. REMEMBER no form no refund. Produce your forms (from whichever country in the EU) and goods to customs on departure. At London Heathrow and Gatwick you can get cash otherwise post the form back and you'll get a refund on your credit card.

We will fly to London and return to the US on the QM2. Is there a place in Southhampton to get customs documents stamped? Does anyone know how this works? I've only had them stamped at the airport! Will it low our embarkation?

Thank you so much for any information you might be able to share.

Archived