AT&T International Plan on Ipad 3 - anyone try it?

2Okies

I have the monthly AT&T cellular plan on my iPad 3. I just noticed that I can buy an International plan, of 120MB for 30 days, to start on any day I choose.

It shows a list of the countries & regions supported, and Jamaica, Cayman Islands & Mexico are covered (the islands we will visit)

Has anyone purchased this plan before & used it on a cruise ship? Are there any "hidden" charges that I could incur if I used this plan? And, if you have used it, does it only work when you are AT the ports mentioned, and not at sea?

Would it be better to just get the wi-fi service from the ship, which I believe is 45 min for $30?

I didn't realize the International plan was available. But, I really don't know the ins & outs of how it works.

I was just curious if someone else has tried it, and could comment on their experience. Especially if it was to the same islands.

Thank you.

I dont think it would cover satalite (sp) on the carnival ship. You mention ports, but I can get wifi cheap in the ports anyway.

You would have to go thru the ships wifi imo.. Im no expert.

Cellular data plan goes through the ship's cell tower, not internet wi-fi.

Looking on AT&T Wireless website, specifically on their cruise information page, it doesn't look like they would let you use the plan with ship's cellular (although you might be better off actually calling customer service at AT&T to verify). Now, as far as using it on the islands or in port, you could probably do that.

<start copy-paste>

What to keep in mind when on a cruise

• The cruise ship network is turned on once the ship is at sea. Generally, the cruise ship network is shut down when the ship is within twelve miles of land. The network is turned back on once the network is no longer near the coordinates of a port.
  • While roaming on the cruise ship, your device will display one of the following: "AT&T," "901-18," "Cellular at Sea," or "NOR-18."
  • None of the discounted International Roaming voice plans apply while on a cruise ship.
  • The only discounted International data plan that applies on cruise ships is the Business Data Global Unlimited plan.
  • Domestic voice rates apply while aboard a cruise ship only when it is docked or tendered at a U.S. port.
  • Voice usage while aboard a cruise ship when it is docked or tendered at a foreign port is billed at the International Roaming rate for that country.

I have a cell phone moden, I was able to use it on PREIVOUS cruises BEFORE Carnvial went to Celluar at Sea. When Carnival used AT&T cell service my modem worked great. Then after the switch it became worthless, last cruise I just bought a package and kept in contact with my DH.

Archived