Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

I agree the place is amazing! Atmosphere, cozy, and classy. I always get the Churrasco con Salsa Chimichurri so delicious, plus sangria to die for! Great location to Broadway, but honestly there are just so many places to choose.

Whobean, have you ever been to sammy's fish box in city island? If not you must go if you are a seafood lover. Hands down the best most delicious seafood, plus the portions are ridiculous!! I wish I could go tonight, but alas I must count pennies as I am heading to Disney for a week in Sept, followed by this Breakaway cruise.

Someone asked about gotobuses never take them I've heard of roach issues. That is definitely not worth any savings in cost. There is the megabus, from the dropoff you can easily hop a cab to port. Enjoy!

Alas, I am not a seafood lover. LOL. I travel to NYC several times a year for business and I definitely have my fave restaurants. I figured since so many people were staying in Times Square (which I try to avoid), I'd suggest something nearby. We usually stay at Hotel Empire at Lincoln Center. There's a great Mexican restaurant in Hell's Kitchen and I can't remember the name!

We cruised from/to NYC this past January. No problem getting a cab. There were 4 of us sharing, and cost $100 for the group. Usually, since it is a turnaround, plenty of cabs empty after dropping off passengers. We debarked nearly last in Jan., so earlier could be more problematic. Check your roll call to see who wants to share a cab.

Sorry, but if you were charged $100 to go between Manhattan and JFK (which was the trip in the original post to which you responded) in a Yellow cab, then you were ripped off. Flat fare to/from JFK and any destination in Manhattan is $52.50 plus one-way toll (if they take the Midtown Tunnel or RFK Bridge - no toll for the 59th St Bridge) and tip, regardless of number of passengers (up to legal maximum which is at least 4, some cabs can take 5) or amount of luggage (assuming it all fits in the trunk).

Hi- I am on the Breakaway (solo) T/A from Southampton to NYC. I will then be traveling to Canada from JFK on the same day she arrives NYC.

I would be grateful if someone could advise the cost to take a cab from the terminal (that is if you can get one) to JFK, or are there any other options.

Thanks.

A taxi will certainly be the easiest way. Flat fare in a yellow cab is $52.50 plus tip and toll (if driver takes a toll bridge).

The other alternatives involve multiple modes of transportation and more time.

1. Taxi to Port Authority Bus Terminal ($10-15) and take Airport Bus (I think it's about $16)

2. Taxi to Penn Station ($10-15), Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica ($9 weekends/$13 weekday peak), and AirTrain monorail to the terminals ($5)

Hope that helps . . .

Not a yellow and one couple went to LaGuardia, the other to Marriott. Sorry. Still may have been ripped off, but I was so sick, I didn't care what it cost as long as he got me to my hotel.

Stop at LGA + Stop at Marriott + Feeling ill and getting where you want to go quickly for $100 = Priceless.:)

A taxi will certainly be the easiest way. Flat fare in a yellow cab is $52.50 plus tip and toll (if driver takes a toll bridge).

The other alternatives involve multiple modes of transportation and more time.

1. Taxi to Port Authority Bus Terminal ($10-15) and take Airport Bus (I think it's about $16)

2. Taxi to Penn Station ($10-15), Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica ($9 weekends/$13 weekday peak), and AirTrain monorail to the terminals ($5)

Hope that helps . . .

I think the A train also goes to JFK too. Download an MTA NYC subway map or app. I never leave home without one.

I know I'm probably repeating myself but I wanted to use the largest suitcase that came with my three piece set. I thought they told me that I couldn't bring the large one and should bring the two middle sized ones. Did you bring the large suitcase? I'd hate to get to the train station and then find out I can't take my suitcase! LOL

Thanks!

Harriet

I pack lighter than my husband, but he always brings the big suitcase. We've never had any problem. We've seen lots of people with large luggage. Just remember you need to be able to lift it.

How can you tell if the bed is near the balcony? I can't find that post. Thank you!

If you look carefully at the deck plans, (you may have to use your browser's magnifier), you can sometimes see the difference in the cabin schematic diagrams.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/decks/2/8

For example....if you look at cabin number 8146, you can see that it appears wider near the balcony. That is where the bed(s) should be.

And if you look at the adjacent 8144, and 8148, the center appears wider, so those would have the bed(s) in the center, closer to the bathroom. The cabins are arranged in an alternating, interlocking design to squeeze in more cabins.

I think the A train also goes to JFK too. Download an MTA NYC subway map or app. I never leave home without one.

Thanks - you're correct about the A train. It just then becomes even more of a schlep (luggage works much better on the LIRR than the subway) and takes even longer.

Alas, I am not a seafood lover. LOL. I travel to NYC several times a year for business and I definitely have my fave restaurants. I figured since so many people were staying in Times Square (which I try to avoid), I'd suggest something nearby. We usually stay at Hotel Empire at Lincoln Center. There's a great Mexican restaurant in Hell's Kitchen and I can't remember the name!

Rosa Mexicana ????

I pack lighter than my husband, but he always brings the big suitcase. We've never had any problem. We've seen lots of people with large luggage. Just remember you need to be able to lift it.

Yep, I called again and can bring the large suitcase. However, now that you reminded me that I need to 'lift it'.......LOL

Still undecided between train and megabus. Need to think....need to think!

Harriet

Hi! I used to work out of LGA and used to go to both the city and to JFK on a regular basis. The EASIEST (from both airports) way is the Express Bus. It goes to Port Authority Terminal at 8th avenue and 42nd st. From there you can take a cab. There is no luggage size/amount limitation.

If you take the Air Train to the A train. That can take over 2 1/2 hours, which I feel is Waay too long! I've done it, its miserable! Its also miserable to maneuver your luggage through the Subway elevators.:eek: If anything take the Air train to Jamaica and jump on LIRR. I have always found the bus to be the easiest, most direct way (aside from a private car service)

If you look carefully at the deck plans, (you may have to use your browser's magnifier), you can sometimes see the difference in the cabin schematic diagrams.

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/breakaway/decks/2/8

For example....if you look at cabin number 8146, you can see that it appears wider near the balcony. That is where the bed(s) should be.

And if you look at the adjacent 8144, and 8148, the center appears wider, so those would have the bed(s) in the center, closer to the bathroom. The cabins are arranged in an alternating, interlocking design to squeeze in more cabins.

That is a good way to explain it. I tried to tell my friend but she didn't quite understand it. Anyway, we switched to a room with a bed close to bathroom because it works out better for us.

On deck 10 there is a space between the two HC rooms.....anyone know what this space is?

Harriet

I don't know, either. But deck plans, especially on a newbuild, are not always absolutely correct. If that space is in fact there, it is probably used as utility space. When the designs were drawn up, they have to design cabins as 'modulars', and then try to fit them where they can. It is cheaper that way, rather than to have some odd ball anomolies. So in the case of deck ten, aft, there was just an odd amount of space left.

Just my guess....

Yep, I called again and can bring the large suitcase. However, now that you reminded me that I need to 'lift it'.......LOL

Still undecided between train and megabus. Need to think....need to think!

Harriet

Harriet,

For what it's worth, my hubby and I traveled via LIRR to Amtrac on our trip to Miami for a cruise ( yes, he does not fly!). As long as you don't travel during am or pm rush hour on weekdays you will be fine - trust me, I commute from LI to NYC daily and finding a seat is hard - forget luggage!! There will be a spot near each door that is designated for handicap with fold down seats, if no one is in need of using the area, it's a perfect spot to settle in and be out of the way!!! I must agree that lifting the luggage is the part I thought was most challenging! Some stations have elevators or escalators some don't. And of course when we left, the escalator in Penn Station was not working! I didn't see your earlier post, but I will say if you are using Amtrac there is a luggage weight limit of 50 lbs. that posed a big problem for us - we usually leave from NY or NJ and the cruise line don't care about the weight so I never gave it a thought. We had to buy a collapsible duffel and redistribute both cases in order to comply!! Ugh. :(. Lesson learned!

Laurie

Archived